Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Maynooth

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I personally know a lot of families that didn't have a previous child in MPPS and got places. That was year 1 on MCC - it will be different every year more than likely.

I agree about the enrolment policy. Can understand if you have a child currently in the school but not ones that have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Call me Al wrote: »
    Well I know from those leaving my children's catchment area school to attend Maynooth that only those children with a parent as a past pupil were accepted into MPPS. All of the others are allocated to MCC with most now on a waiting list to transfer across to MPPS. So there may be some places left but but certainly not in any serious quantity.

If both schools are essentially the same (teachers, facilities, ethos), then why elect to transfer from MCC to MPPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

washburn73 wrote: »
    If both schools are essentially the same (teachers, facilities, ethos), then why elect to transfer from MCC to MPPS?

I don't know why they're doing so. Personal choice maybe.
    The schools are essentially the same right now.
    But talking with parents of kids starting they say they aren't going to be the same once the two buildings are up and running, and that's scheduled for 9/2020 I think. They say once open the two schools will be very distinct from each other, so I take that to mean that there won't be sharing of teachers or mixed sports teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Orion wrote: »

I agree about the enrolment policy. Can understand if you have a child currently in the school but not ones that have left.

We aren't just talking about the children (brothers and sisters) who have left... it refers to the parents!
    Like come on! How old can these past pupils be..

Call me Al wrote: »
    We aren't just talking about the children (brothers and sisters) who have left... it refers to the parents!
    Like come on! How old can these past pupils be..

Ah yeah - the old alma mater bullsh1t

• Advertisement

The new Gaelscoil has been refused planning permission to open on the building site up in Moyglare. Completely the right decision. Stagg is now talking about it being deferred to 2020 which is just him getting his name in the papers. An Foras Patrunachta says they are exploring other options to rent space until they have a permanent location. Manor Mills (where the Gaelcholaiste was going to go) could be an option.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/426530/permission-is-refused-for-temporary-school-in-maynooth.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Manor Mills is even less suitable for junior infants than secondary school pupils... what a disaster

So, just glanced at the 'School League Tables' published in today's Irish Independent.

MPPS: 195 Leaving Certificate Sits in 2019, of which 87% proceeded to third level

vs.

MCC: 18 Leaving Certificate Sits, of which 28% (i.e. 5!) made it to third level education.

Based on those results, MCC easily has the worst 'scores' in the county and better only 10 other schools in the entire state (out of 700+)!!

Surely, there has to be something skewing those figures? What am I missing here?

If that's even remotely accurate then it's a damning indictment of the school. Can't believe it to be anything like that given all the previous comments on this forum. So what's the real story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

18 students means even minor distortion makes figures unreliable. Those will have been students that didn't do TY. From my experience many of those that didn't do TY were deliberately pushing towards long academic college courses and many ended up repeating - and some of the others were absolute messers that wanted out ASAP. Between those two that was the bulk of the TY skips.

When you get a year that has TY students, e.g. next year, the stats will be more informative.

Also, the % figures are useless really. I went to MPPS and have a BSc - and will be doing an MA in an unrelated subject next year; but will have shown as not having gone to third level in those stats because I did the BSc in my mid 20s. Suspect that was more useful to me than taking whatever course I was offered in a regional IT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the MCC ones could be a class of LCA?
    18 seems very low for a "regular" class. that would explain the low number going on to 3rd level.

the MPPS figure is about 7 classes of 28, which seems far more normal. all 7 classes would have been MPPS when they started out in 1st year I think?

both "schools" share the same teachers and classrooms, so any attempts at distinction between them are still relatively worthless IMO.

• Advertisement

If that's even remotely accurate then it's a damning indictment of the school. Can't believe it to be anything like that given all the previous comments on this forum. So what's the real story?

The two schools are in practice the same school (all teachers, resources, classrooms, etc shared) so it is just skewed stats.

L1011's point about skipping TY is a good one - hadn't thought of that.

If you add the two together which is more realistic it's 81% progression combined. That is slightly below average for the school over the last 12 years.

496797.jpg

the MCC ones could be a class of LCA?

LCA?

I know the statistics quoted by the Irish Independent have certain anomalies (e.g. excludes students going to British universities other than Queens and University of Ulster) but just thought that 28% is particularly low for any cohort.

The other anomaly in the MCC figures is that of the 5 reported students (out of 18 Leaving Cert sits) that went on to third level, none went to an IT or similar institution - i.e. 1 to Trinity, 1 to DCU, 3 to Maynooth. MCC were one of the very, very few schools not to have any students proceeding to any of the 11 Institutes of Technology or the 7 other colleges listed in the report.

Makes me think that there is significant context missing from those figures for MCC.

I know that the schools (MPPS and MCC) are effectively the same, at least up to September 2020, so would have thought their underlying 'league table' results would have been broadly similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

LCA?

Leaving cert applied

Advertisement