Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 13 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some nice new touches in 13. I like how you now hide toolbar and change font size in browser.

Dark mode does need work though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

awec wrote: »
    Used the new car play for the first time today.

The new home screen will only work with Apple Maps, which means it’s absolutely useless.

Other than that it’s ok. The layout of now playing is a bit better, and there’s a calendar.

Google Maps should work probably need an update for Google Maps to make it work with IOS13

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is it possible to turn off dark mode on an app by app basis? Apple maps is terrible in dark mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was surprised to see my SE got the update, nice having the new faux-3D-touch. Funny how even on the small screen, multi-orientation is supported too. Can use mail upside down for some reason :)
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone else with a series one or two apple watch find since upgrading your phone to ios13 that notifications now come in first on the phone and a delay on the watch?

I've a series 3 and it was happening this morning. I restarted both watch and phone and it seems to have fixed it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Google Maps should work probably need an update for Google Maps to make it work with IOS13

Google Maps, as an app, works fine, exact same as before.

But the home screen on carplay now shows like widgets. The right hand side of the screen is a map, the bottom left is now playing (play/pause, forward and back buttons) and the top left a list of destinations to go.

This map, and the locations, are both Apple Maps and cannot be configured (that I can find anyway) to any other map provider. Which means it's absolute garbage and makes the whole home screen pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Having used it for nearly a day now I can say I’m really liking it. Normally these ‘performance improvements’ aren’t that noticeable but these really are. FaceID is noticeably faster for me, not sure if they’ve sped up animation or not but it’s deffo noticeable.

Overall I’ve found it to be very stable. No app crashes or major bugs. Mail seems to be the worst and it’s only one or two minor UI things that aren’t a big issue for me. Dark mode and swipe are nice. App updates such as Activity, Health, Photos etc are all welcome too.

I reset the iPhone and updated to start with a fresh install of iOS so it probably helped with the overall smoothness of the update.

One thing I’ve avoid is upgrading to the newer iCloud sync with the Reminders app, until the macOS update is out. Overall another solid update.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Where they’ve put the app updates in the App Store is just a matter of getting used to it. Once I found where it had been put it’s grand actually.

faceman wrote: »
    Always found multitasking something that sounds good but is unnecessary on a phone.

It’s a dream on an iPad though.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Where they’ve put the app updates in the App Store is just a matter of getting used to it. Once I found where it had been put it’s grand actually.

Yeah do it a couple of times and you know exactly where to go again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The swipe keyboard is good, but they have some improvements to do in the autocorrect department.

• Advertisement

One issue I have seen repeatedly is the Siri Shortcut for Google Assistant vanishing. I’ve had to re-add it 3 or 4 times at this stage, though I’m not sure if it’s a system or app issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone know is there a quicker workaround for getting to the UK App Store than having to change your billing information each time? Before, you could just sign out and sign in with your UK store Apple ID.

EDIT: I found it. When you click on the App Store click on your profile in the top right corner, scroll to the bottom and sign out, then sign in using your Apple ID for the App Store Country that you have created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My watch notifications don't seem to be working properly since updating to 13. Watch software updated to 6.0 too so the problem could be there. All settings set the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Update is not showing for me when I go to software update. Have restarted phone but no joy,

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

what phone are you using?

It should be 100% showing for everyone by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Not showing for me either on the iPad

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Not showing for me either on the iPad

Ipad OS isn't out until the 30th.

eeloe wrote: »
    what phone are you using?

It should be 100% showing for everyone by now.

Iphone 8 plus.

Resolved: I had an iOS 12 beta profile installed . Removed that and iOS 13 came up. Installing now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Very strange....are you on an old ios 12 beta profile or anything that could be blocking the download?

Have to say I really don’t like the new Music app’s Now Playing screen. Having the song queue below the page was handy. Bringing up the song queue now with the button removes the tracking bar for skipping ahead in the song. So you have to keep showing and hiding it.

Also, the “Add to library” and “like and dislike” options are buried in the menu, with the latter at the end so you have to scroll.

Really enjoying the rest of the update but the music playing screen is a big step back from a usability point of view.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Have to say I really don’t like the new Music app’s Now Playing screen. Having the song queue below the page was handy. Bringing up the song queue now with the button removes the tracking bar for skipping ahead in the song. So you have to keep showing and hiding it.

Also, the “Add to library” and “like and dislike” options are buried in the menu, with the latter at the end so you have to scroll.

Really enjoying the rest of the update but the music playing screen is a big step back from a usability point of view.

If you scroll to the bottom and select edit actions you can remove and add functions as well as change their order so that should solve your problem.

I think it's handy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

DubDJ wrote: »

I don’t use Apple Music but noticed the same issues in mail. The screen looks simpler but all options except reply and delete are hidden in menus. Hopefully they’ll track what people are using and improve in next few versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Overall I think the Music app changes are an improvement. The old Now Playing panel was confusing.

The text selection is miles better! Good summary of the changes at the link below, but even just moving the insertion point around is much improved.

https://www.cultofmac.com/633080/how-to-use-the-amazing-new-text-tools-in-ipados/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody noticing battery increase or decrease on their particular iPhone?

One thing I noticed is the new lyrics feature in the music app seems to have serious performance issues. Tried it out yesterday with a song, the phone got really warm and the battery dropped from 20% to 12% after one song.

Definitely needs work to reduce battery load. Cool feature otherwise.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody noticing battery increase or decrease on their particular iPhone?

Yeah, my 8 is gobbling power since the update. I think this is normal though as the apps get used to the new OS. It should sort it self to in a few days (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I saw it mentioned that VPN’s are not working on this release. Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah, my 8 is gobbling power since the update. I think this is normal though as the apps get used to the new OS. It should sort it self to in a few days (hopefully)

Yup have the iPhone 8 aswell I actually meant to say

bot43 wrote: »
    I saw it mentioned that VPN’s are not working on this release. Can anyone confirm this?

Mine (Witopia) is working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

bot43 wrote: »

Freedome VPN is working fine on my iPhone 7 with iOS 13. Must be just certain, VPN providers who are having problems, rather than a general issue affecting all.

Advertisement