Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 13 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

bot43 wrote: »
    I saw it mentioned that VPN’s are not working on this release. Can anyone confirm this?

Working with no issues on NordVPN also. I have it setup manually through the settings app though, not sure if the Nord App is working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iCloud syncing with Apple Notes is borked. Maybe Catalina or 13.1 will fix it but Apple should really warn users when releasing software that's not fully functional or compatible with their own cloud service. I have been repeatedly burned by this over the years. iCloud is 7 years old yet Apple they treat it like it's in beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I notice the handoff between my iPhone XS Max. and iPad (Air 1) is off i.e. the tabs on what I was viewing on my iPhone in Safari are not on my iPad and vice versa.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody noticing battery increase or decrease on their particular iPhone?

I’m noticing an increase in battery use in my X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

About the same battery life on my XR, maybe a little bit less.

I have noticed less notifications being pushed to my Watch since the update, and a some hassle with the car Bluetooth which wasn't there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭gmacww

To be honest I'm thinking of rolling back to iOS 12. iPhone 7 and here are my gripes...

3D Touch: Give it back to me please! I used it a lot and this take on it (I know the reasons) is just crap. I want my 3D Touch back!

Safari: I hate the new font choice. Bolder fonts for favourites page and the lower icons with a heavier line just don't look as slick as they used to.

Contacts: Every time I open it, it seems to open on the last used contact. No matter if I go back to full list and fully close out the app when I open it back it's open on the contact that I last used. That should have been caught in basic testing.

Bluetooth: I have big issues now connecting to the car now. Never an issue with v12 but v13 it just won't connect at all. Remove the car from the phone, remove the device from the car eventually got it re-connected but keeps dropping out.

Navigation: Was using it yesterday but for some reason apple maps while navagating is not keeping the screen on so I had to keep periodically touching the screen to keep the navigation on.

Personal: Now this is a purely personal issue and some may prefer this. I think the extra visuals look quite cheap and very android manufacture lay overs. Not slick clean apple like. Flick the silence switch and you get the silence on / off notice. The volume one though really annoys me. You use the volume buttons and you get a volume bar but then it resizes. Just not clean.

On the battery side I've noticed a slight increase in battery usage but I'm putting that down to me playing with it more to see all the hidden features. Will settle I imagine after a day or so.

Agree with those first two. 3D Touch was something I used regularly and miss it. The fact Apple removed it from phones that actually have the hardware support is annoying too. Basically, if you’re using an iPhone 6s at the moment, Apple just removed the flagship feature of that phone which is anti-consumer and I’m surprised the tech sites aren’t mentioning it.

I agree also that the new Safari fonts look a bit strange. Think they should roll back to a standard don’t weight for website titles at least.

Other than that I can’t say I’ve had any Bluetooth problems and I remove the contacts app so can’t say I have any issues there either.

The update could definitely use some work, it’s only really the Mail app that’s been buggy and I’ve actually had an app crash with it too, which is something that rarely ever happens to me. Can’t remember the last time an app crashed on iOS for me.

There are just UI elements that feel wrong, maybe it’s a personal preference. The music app ate through a large chunk of battery for me while using the lyrics feature too but trying it again seemed fine so not sure if there was an issue there or not.

Overall, I hope the 13.1 update tomorrow fixes things.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Battery definitely worse on my X as well.

Didn't even know 3d touch was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah have to agree with the user above. Very android feel to it, therefore not very impressive looking or as slick as iOS usually is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

gmacww wrote: »
    To be honest I'm thinking of rolling back to iOS 12. iPhone 7 and here are my gripes...

Is rolling back something that's easy to do? And is it possible to stay off iOS 13 or will older phones be forced to update at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I'm finding IOS 13 pretty glitchy...I am getting very few notifications to my watch.

I was most looking froward to the changes to apple car play but as someone already said you can only use apple maps with the spit screen. Apple maps seems to be getting worse to me...its estimates are way off, it regularly tries to send me down one way streets or to take turns that are prohibited...irritating that you can't use third party maps on this page.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Vudgie wrote: »
    I'm finding IOS 13 pretty glitchy...I am getting very few notifications to my watch.

I was most looking froward to the changes to apple car play but as someone already said you can only use apple maps with the spit screen. Apple maps seems to be getting worse to me...its estimates are way off, it regularly tries to send me down one way streets or to take turns that are prohibited...irritating that you can't use third party maps on this page.

Apple Maps is as least half a decade behind Google in terms of accuracy. It's hopelessly poor.

I really hope they open up the split view to other maps, but I doubt it and reckon they'll try force people on to Apple Maps with it. It won't work though, Apple Maps is just too bad and people will instead just not use the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Vudgie wrote: »

Exactly the same for me with notifications on my watch. Calls and messages are fine, but any 3rd party app isn't showing.

Yep iPhone 8 battery has gone to ****. At first I thought I was just being picky but it definitely has had a big impact on it.

Raging I updated to 13 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yep iPhone 8 battery has gone to ****. At first I thought I was just being picky but it definitely has had a big impact on it.

Raging I updated to 13 now

I’ve an iPhone 8 and I’m not seeing much difference in battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I’ve an iPhone 8 and I’m not seeing much difference in battery life

Same, and 3D Touch still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭gmacww

On the battery life that's likely the indexing kicking in. When you install iOS 13 it takes a while to reindex your phone and it chews up pretty much all the processor while doing that and does drain the batter quickly. Once complete restart the phone and you should be back to normal batter usage.
    MillField wrote: »
    Same, and 3D Touch still works.

No what they've done is altered the long touch to in a way emulate 3D touch only without and additional functionality. It's now a standardized long touch haptic menu. You can really notice it in safari and messages. The press and pop feature for images for example is now gone as there is no code in iOS anymore to use the pressure touch screen.

On top of my post yesterday this release really feels like it's still in beta. It's very buggy. Safari is just not stable enough and the websites regularly load up behind the task bar and that. The mail app provides me a notification of a new email but I have to manually refresh the inbox in order to get it. Overall stability of apps and the os itself just seems very beta esque and not finished.

I'll hold off for 13.1 today and see if that improves anything before rolling back to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

gmacww wrote: »
    No what they've done is altered the long touch to in a way emulate 3D touch only without and additional functionality. It's now a standardized long touch haptic menu. You can really notice it in safari and messages. The press and pop feature for images for example is now gone as there is no code in iOS anymore to use the pressure touch screen.

Yep, they've done that, but 3D Touch also still works. I can long press photos, links, icons etc and the new haptic touch triggers, but I can also 3D Touch just like I could on iOS 12 and it instantly works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm experiencing random bluetooth disconnects several times a day across different bluetooth devices. Not sure if its iPhone 11 or iOS 13 related. Hopefully its the latter.

iOS 13.1 now available. As well as this, iPadOS is now officially released as well as tvOS 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

Wife on official update channel showing the 13.1 update.

My own phone on 13.1 Public Beta not showing the general release update as usually happens so looks like this leg of the beta is still an ongoing work in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

KildareP wrote: »
    Wife on official update channel showing the 13.1 update.

My own phone on 13.1 Public Beta not showing the general release update as usually happens so looks like this leg of the beta is still an ongoing work in progress?
    You need to delete the beta profile to get off the beta stream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

shanec1928 wrote: »
    You need to delete the beta profile to get off the beta stream

With 12 though whenever a release went general it dropped a big (several GB) update, has that changed?

13.1 now on the iPhone 8 and can definitely see that it’s more fast and much more smooth

Is it safe enough removing the beta profile on the iPad? It won’t wipe and go back to 12.0 or anything will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Might have nothing to do with iOS13/13.1 but my AirPods double tap seems to be messed up. I have the left set for next track and the right for play/pause but they are both play/pause since 13 and 13.1 didn't fix it (neither did unpairing/re-pairing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I'm experiencing random bluetooth disconnects several times a day across different bluetooth devices. Not sure if its iPhone 11 or iOS 13 related. Hopefully its the latter.

I have headphones that I can't connect to. Was hoping 13.1 would fix it but no.
    My xs could connect on ios 13. It's quite frustrating.
    Tried everything. It has to be related to the iphone 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Still no handoff fix between profile on iPad Air and iPhone for Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Is it safe enough removing the beta profile on the iPad? It won’t wipe and go back to 12.0 or anything will it?

Ya will do nothing.the. Ext update it will get will be off the regular update schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Removed the beta profile earlier (I was on beta 4 of 13.1) and the 13.1 download /install file is 3.4 GB. Must be getting it’s from scratch. I’ll be interested to see if the bugs are ironed out at all.

Advertisement