Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert exam disrupted by bulldozers and rock breakers at school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What do the exam candidates themselves say?? If you're concentrating on what you're doing, a lot of background noise just becomes that. Sometimes too much silence is as unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

A quick update from students. English paper II started yesterday with diggers in full flow. Some students raised their hands to complain about the clatter outside. Next thing the principal arrived in and asked for whoever complained to be pointed out (exam numbers not names on desk, so they had to be pointed out like criminals), so they were pointed out and the principal and one of the teachers interrupted the exam of those students. They were humiliated inside in the exam hall and in the case of my offspring, failed to complete the paper on-time. Shortly after, the noise stopped (I presume with a call from Athlone), and today the activity on site stopped once the exam started. Athlone have someone there today on-site. It is not the digger I driver I blame here, but the principal who in my mind should not have been allowed in to the exam once it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

ClonNGB wrote: »
    A quick update from students. English paper II started yesterday with diggers in full flow. Some students raised their hands to complain about the clatter outside. Next thing the principal arrived in and asked for whoever complained to be pointed out (exam numbers not names on desk, so they had to be pointed out like criminals), so they were pointed out and the principal and one of the teachers interrupted the exam of those students. They were humiliated inside in the exam hall and in the case of my offspring, failed to complete the paper on-time. Shortly after, the noise stopped (I presume with a call from Athlone), and today the activity on site stopped once the exam started. Athlone have someone there today on-site. It is not the digger I driver I blame here, but the principal who in my mind should not have been allowed in to the exam once it started.

What a horrible person to do that to a young lad/lass during their exams.

Poor results reflect on the school, it has me baffled to think the principal is happy to allow all this commotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

This is very weird - usually schools want their students to well so that they can brag about the amazing results they produce!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What do you mean when you say interrupted. Did they have to get up from their desks to talk to the principal? For how long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Next thing the principal arrived in and asked for whoever complained to be pointed out (exam numbers not names on desk, so they had to be pointed out like criminals), so they were pointed out and the principal and one of the teachers interrupted the exam of those students. They were humiliated inside in the exam hall and in the case of my offspring, failed to complete the paper on-time.

What does this mean? Did they lose time? Was it made up?

Were other people doing their exam while some were being prevented?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Yes, they lost time. And no, no allowance was made at the end of it.
    Somebody asked why would a principal do this ? Only the principal can answer this for sure, but I was told the rules dictates the principal had to be on-site during school construction works, so if the work was done during the exam period, the added bonus is to save two weeks of time on holiday.

Yes, they lost time. And no, no allowance was made at the end of it.

Were they taken out of the exam hall? What exactly happened here?

Were they told off in front of others by the principal and a teacher? This would have surely interrupted other students sitting the exam too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This is farcical. If I were the parent of a student affected by this, I'd be up in fcuking arms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Doesn't sound ideal but if I was a parent there, I'd be talking it down with any child doing exams - don't be dragging them into the situation to complain and unsettling them. Just deal with it separately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Name and shame the school!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

It's against the rules for non SEC staff to enter room during exam, you need to get exam.room number and report directly to SEC, that's insanely serious. Not to mention a gdpr breach if exam invigilator gave info to principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

judeboy101 wrote: »
    It's against the rules for non SEC staff to enter room during exam, you need to get exam.room number and report directly to SEC, that's insanely serious. Not to mention a gdpr breach if exam invigilator gave info to principal.

Love the GDPR breach part. :p:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Love the GDPR breach part. :p:rolleyes::p

You maybe being sarastic (dont know) but hes correct regarding the GDPR aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

1. Construction noise in close proximity would I imagine have the noise well above the "ambient" level...so I do think its unfair on the students.

2. Principal has behaved despicably and incompetently

3. I know parents are stressed but you need to stop with all this most important exam in their lives crack. There's always next year, and the year after. A college degree is pretty vital nowadays BUT it doesn't have to be got immediately - plenty of very successful people I've worked with had no degree until well into their careers, or had a mediocre degree and later got a masters and or PhD.
    I'm not having a go a the parents posting on here but the reason its" the most stressful exam" is because of the pressure being put on by media > encouraged by parents who are stressed > impacting on students who are stressed.

The Leaving cert is a right of passage but unless parents of students impress upon them that the sun will still rise in the morning we as a society can't really combat all the stress and "mental health issues" that are seemingly on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Well.
    You don't even want to know what I'd do to that principal.
    He is an utter disgrace of the highest order.
    Glad to hear that Athlone put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

What was the principal thinking????

Usually principals put their students' interests first.

Building can always be caught up during the summer months.

You maybe being sarastic (dont know) but hes correct regarding the GDPR aspect.

I am beiing sarcastic and they are wrong, it's not even a 3rd cousin twice removed of anything got to do with GDPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

What information could have been shared with the principal that would constitute a breach of GDPR? Just out of curiosity

Misguided1 wrote: »

What information could have been shared with the principal that would constitute a breach of GDPR? Just out of curiosity

None, it's the new version of people quoting made up health and safety "laws".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Have to agree there - there’s been no breach of GDPR. Anything the principal could have found out while in the room, he knows already.

There’s only been a breach of state exams commission rules, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

It’s not against the rules, school authorities may enter the exam Hall if requested by by superintendent.
    Terrible situation for students and superintendent to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What a horrible person to do that to a young lad/lass during their exams.

Poor results reflect on the school, it has me baffled to think the principal is happy to allow all this commotion.
    It is but by LC what the principal has to say goes in one ear and out the other. You've one leg out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1. Construction noise in close proximity would I imagine have the noise well above the "ambient" level...so I do think its unfair on the students.

2. Principal has behaved despicably and incompetently

3. I know parents are stressed but you need to stop with all this most important exam in their lives crack. There's always next year, and the year after. A college degree is pretty vital nowadays BUT it doesn't have to be got immediately - plenty of very successful people I've worked with had no degree until well into their careers, or had a mediocre degree and later got a masters and or PhD.
    I'm not having a go a the parents posting on here but the reason its" the most stressful exam" is because of the pressure being put on by media > encouraged by parents who are stressed > impacting on students who are stressed.

The Leaving cert is a right of passage but unless parents of students impress upon them that the sun will still rise in the morning we as a society can't really combat all the stress and "mental health issues" that are seemingly on the increase

I agree with a lot of this. The principal, nobody has control over except the principal. I can't help feeling that there is still a lot of helicoptering going on around the LC in particular, unquestionably in the completely irrelevant JC. Sure you want them to do well and get the best possible chance but they are all of 17/18 and such pressure does not sit well at any age.

Failure to achieve may be an outcome but even where it's not, a whole tranche of them are going to muck up college, either permanently or for a few years. They may muck up in real life but it will be put down to things that happen in life. No harm in some parents reminding themselves that the LC too is one of those things in life.

Misguided1 wrote: »

I'm assuming the principal asked the invigilator to point out the students who complained. Invigilator had data (complaints) and gave that data with identification to a 3rd party without consent. That's a breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm assuming the principal asked the invigilator to point out the students who complained. Invigilator had data (complaints) and gave that data with identification to a 3rd party without consent. That's a breach.

No it's not. Not even remotely.

Jesus pleasus, will people give over with the GDPR nonsense. Knowledge =/= data. And not all data falls under the aegis of GDPR.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    No it's not. Not even remotely.

Jesus pleasus, will people give over with the GDPR nonsense. Knowledge =/= data. And not all data falls under the aegis of GDPR.

Man tells his doctor he has a sore toe, next day man in tesco and tannoy announces will all those with sore toes make themselves known, mans doctor who also happens to be in tesco points at him and says " he has a sore toe", is that not a breach of gdpr?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Waiter. Chef we'd a compliant about the meal.
    Chef. Which meal?
    Waiter. Cant tell you GDPR :rolleyes:

"Hello Mrs O Reilly".

Ouch - GDPR breach for saying a persons name (personal data) right there in public with other people listening!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Just to confirm, the said school has a female principal? Initials AD?

Advertisement