Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower call out

Options
  • 05-06-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I rang the service number for my shower. I told them there was no power light on the shower but a light on the pull switch. They said they could send someone out to fix it for €70 plus parts.

The guy took one look at the shower and said problem was with switch as it was obvious as there was no power getting to the shower. He could tell this by the lack of the orange light on shower. He then told me he couldnt fix it as they dont fix the switch. This was not mentioned when I rang.

I dont think the shower company should have advised to send someone to fix it on the basis that the info I gave them should have been enough for them to know the switch was likely at fault due to the lack of power getting to the shower.

All they needed to say was it could be the switch. We cant fix the switch.

Just wondering if I should pay the call out fee for a problem that they couldnt fix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Did you talk to an engineer when you called, or a person who mans the phone lines?. Do you expect them to successfully diagnose the problem over the phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Did you talk to an engineer when you called, or a person who mans the phone lines?. Do you expect them to successfully diagnose the problem over the phone ?
    I talked to someone in the service department. I'd be happy if they mentioned that if the switch was the problem they couldn't fix it. I emailed them a general query first

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I talked to someone in the service department. I'd be happy if they mentioned that if the switch was the problem they couldn't fix it. I emailed them a general query first

What if you got an electrician out first and he/she said the problem is the shower unit, that’ll be €100?

It is unrealistic to expect a service provider to know exactly what type of electrical problem has occurred without seeing it. If it was a problem with the shower unit like you told them, then he would have fixed it, it isn’t, the supply to the unit is the problem so he has s right to be paid for his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The person you talked to is likely not an engineeer and probably had no training on how the switch might be the problem. Not sure how you're passing blame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

RossieMan wrote: »
    The person you talked to is likely not an engineeer and probably had no training on how the switch might be the problem. Not sure how you're passing blame here.
    Cool, just wanted people opinions, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dav010 wrote: »
    What if you got an electrician out first and he/she said the problem is the shower unit, that’ll be €100?

It is unrealistic to expect a service provider to know exactly what type of electrical problem has occurred without seeing it. If it was a problem with the shower unit like you told them, then he would have fixed it, it isn’t, the supply to the unit is the problem so he has s right to be paid for his time.

I've had occasion to hire many an electrician in my time, not a one has charged to tell me what the problem was, only to fix the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I've had occasion to hire many an electrician in my time, not a one has charged to tell me what the problem was, only to fix the issue.

Hence the “what if”, the point being if they have a call out charge and the problem is not electrical but the shower unit itself, then the call out charge would still apply.

I had the same problem on a Mira Jump last week. Toggle switch went. Found that I could get it to work if I held the switch in. Part cost <€20 and was 5 minutes work to swap out. Not for everyone, I know.

Advertisement