Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Sexual Health Screening

• 06-06-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I believe the STI clinic go on the road to the colleges in Limerick every week to hand out information, do basic screening and give students protection. In the wake of the hpv scandal they upped their game offering advice and were inundated with students looking to talk to them ...

However, It turns out that Mary I wont let them onto the college grounds -- I believe they phoned the college a number of times and were told they would have to consult the bishop first among a number of other excuses.

In a college predominately full of female students that's a serious lack in duty of care.

I know up to a few years ago, the Students Union had to hide the free condoms when the college president was near their office.... This still goes on in 21st century Ireland!! mind boggling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

That's an outrage - How is a Catholic Bishop expected to have the time to act like a morally sound public figure and do the right thing by people when they're off rehoming reoffending paedophile priests all day long???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Oh ffs. We're living in the 21st f******g century, it's about time any and all religious involvement was removed from all public education institutes. Christ, every year there are reports saying that the levels of STIs in Ireland are increasing, and yet we still tolerate this archaic bull****?! If you wanna believe in whatever religion you choose, feel free, that's your right, but stop trying to impose your customs on everyone else!

Having to hide free condoms for students as well? Absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AilyNC

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I believe the STI clinic go on the road to the colleges in Limerick every week to hand out information, do basic screening and give students protection. In the wake of the hpv scandal they upped their game offering advice and were inundated with students looking to talk to them ...

However, It turns out that Mary I wont let them onto the college grounds -- I believe they phoned the college a number of times and were told they would have to consult the bishop first among a number of other excuses.

In a college predominately full of female students that's a serious lack in duty of care.

I know up to a few years ago, the Students Union had to hide the free condoms when the college president was near their office.... This still goes on in 21st century Ireland!! mind boggling

I thought the Bishop was no longer head of the board? As a former Mary SU president I've been up against these issues. I brought the first condom machine to Mary I in the old union lounge in 2003/4. I'm not sure if they kept machines when they got the new lounge. Well new to me 😂

Mary I is a Health Promotion College and sexual health an incredibly important part of that. It's really within the remit of the SU president to bring this to board meeting and challange any barring of the service. The SU need to be campaigning on this issue, though I'd be surprised if they aren't.

Catholic ethos can not used as an excuse to compromise student health in a publicly funded institution. And yet we allow this at all levels of education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Has anyone spoken with the health promotion officer in Mary I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AilyNC

Miike wrote: »
    Has anyone spoken with the health promotion officer in Mary I?

They've to stick to college ethos. The SU have more autonomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

AilyNC wrote: »
    I thought the Bishop was no longer head of the board? As a former Mary SU president I've been up against these issues. I brought the first condom machine to Mary I in the old union lounge in 2003/4. I'm not sure if they kept machines when they got the new lounge. Well new to me ��

Mary I is a Health Promotion College and sexual health an incredibly important part of that. It's really within the remit of the SU president to bring this to board meeting and challange any barring of the service. The SU need to be campaigning on this issue, though I'd be surprised if they aren't.

Catholic ethos can not used as an excuse to compromise student health in a publicly funded institution. And yet we allow this at all levels of education.

Amen to that (excuse the pun)

We're supposed to be living in the 21st century and yet even in the so-called 'Western world', we're still living with archaic ideology.

You're free to believe in whatever gods/fairy-tales/etc to your heart's content, but don't thrust your beliefs down the throats of everyone else, especially where people's health is concerned. An absolute disgrace it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

AilyNC wrote: »
    They've to stick to college ethos. The SU have more autonomy.

They'd still be answerable as to why the campus is a designated health promotion college but appears to pick and choose what they promote, regardless of the autonomy the office exercises this is the purpose of their post. I would personally contact the SU and the health promotion coordinator.

Advertisement