Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up with my grass

Options
  • 06-06-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got new turf laid last September. Watered it daily as instructed for a couple of weeks. Looked great going into the winter.

I've mowed it a few times since end of April and it just seems to be looking terrible as below.

It's patchy and looks dead in places. I've been feeding and watering for past 2 weeks with no improvement.

482074.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

I have the exact same thing happening with grass I laid in March. Kept it well watered and have only cut it a few times. Very very frustrating. Hopefully someone can help us. Please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There has been an incredible lack of rain the last few months.

I was in the garden today digging and even with rain the last few weeks, the ground is incredibly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have noticed there are a lot of cut worms in the garden this year and they have been known to cause some damage to lawns and one that is newly laid could be particularly vulnerable. I typed cut worm grass damage into google and some of the images look very similar to the picture above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I was in the garden today digging and even with rain the last few weeks, the ground is incredibly dry.

Yeah, I might keep the watering up for another few weeks even with the rain

macraignil wrote: »
    I have noticed there are a lot of cut worms in the garden this year and they have been known to cause some damage to lawns and one that is newly laid could be particularly vulnerable. I typed cut worm grass damage into google and some of the images look very similar to the picture above.

Interesting!
    I'll read up about them. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Incredible lack of rain? East coast hasn't been that dry. Mountains up in Wicklow are wet, this time last year they were incredibly dry. Could be other problems unless it was planted somewhere else in the country that's been dryer than the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Do you have pets? some people say dog pee causes staining too

No pets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

eusap wrote: »
    Do you have pets? some people say dog pee causes staining too

This actually is true re staining. However conversely it also acts as a fertilizer and will lead to aggressive growth thereafter in the said area.

If you laid your sods last summer they may still be suffering from last summers drought insofar as they did not synchronise with the older soil well. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any foxes around?

They're getting into my dad's garden and damaging the lawn.

Get some grass seed and sprinkle in affected areas.

• Advertisement

No it's completely enclosed so wouldn't be easy for a fox to get in. It's south facing if that makes a difference.

Would putting more seed down help? Is it just a matter of scattering it around or do I need to get the seed into the soil?

Got a new sprinkler yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Unless you live in a electrocuted fortress a fox can live and habitate your garden. Or a badger , you would need cctv to see them, they are predominantly nocturnal.

This is not your problem however. Seed away and the last few weeks rain will not do it any harm.

Don't be panicking, grass will grow through cracks in a road, let it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Incredible lack of rain? East coast hasn't been that dry. Mountains up in Wicklow are wet, this time last year they were incredibly dry. Could be other problems unless it was planted somewhere else in the country that's been dryer than the East.

I'm in the southwest on a mountain. Had rain but there is a deficit in the soil

Advertisement