Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Retirement Bonds

• 06-06-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help / advice

I have recently just moved jobs and as such I have a Pension Contribution amount sitting with previous employer.

I have a couple of options, they outlined, but I was looking for some advice on what to do. I am in my early 30s & will have a new pension contribution with my new employer. Should I just transfer it directly to the new employer pension scheme or setup Personal Retirement Bonds.

It is a 5 digit sum at the minute so I am happy enough to try and grow it. Is PRBs the best route, what are the pros and cons here?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pro: Control. You can invest, monitor, and switch it as you see fit. It's all about making the fund grow.

Pro: Early retirement. Possible from age 50.

Con: It won't be free, but nor would staying where you are.

As always get proper advice. It's worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Pro: Control. You can invest, monitor, and switch it as you see fit. It's all about making the fund grow.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Regarding costs, either of your three options could work out cheaper, you'd need to look into it.

Early retirement could be available from the current scheme, as well as the PRB. Again, you'd to look into it.

The PRB will give more control, but if the other two options give you the investment choices you want/need, then there's no need to go for the extra choices.

To summarise, any of the three options may suit you, but there's the possibility of not getting all the things you want from one of the three options. You're best off getting proper advice.

Advertisement