Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird nest in concrete shed

Options
  • 06-06-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

There is a bird nest in the roof of our concrete shed. We see the birds flying in and out very frequently.

Just wondering what is best to do? We have two small dogs who also live in the shed - would the bird poo be any harm to them, say if it gets in their water or food bowls?

I'm guessing if we go near the nest it could endanger the birds?

I would also be concerned that we close the shed each night when we leave the dogs in to the house, so the birds don't have access to the nest overnight and I'm guessing this is also not good...

Any advice?

I'm not sure what type of bird it is - but I have a picture if that's of any use. They are small - fork-tailed, brown wings, white breasts.

I also have a picture (not great) of the nest if that's any use?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have starling nesting in y shed the last 2 years. I leave them at it as they dont seem to cause any problems. Move and dog food or water bowls away from the nest where most bird droppings will be.

Just a guess but im sure it wont be long for the chicks to leave the nest. can you leave the shed door open a few inches until the chicks leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

from your description, these are swifts or swallows
    They have flown thousands of miles back to ireland to mate and lay their eggs.
    Do give them a chance for the eggs to hatch and the babies to fledge
    It wont take long - 23 days max.
    As mentioned just move your dogs food/water bowls away from under the nest. There will be bird droppings under the nest, but not anywhere else in the shed in all likelihood. Prop the shed door open a tiny bit at night, or if theres a window/opening, so that the parents can get in to feed the chicks. They'll soon hatch, then be gone in a very short while.

Those chicks will hopefully come back to Ireland next year - if they survive the flights. Amazing creatures. If you dont want them to nest in your shed next year - which they will do - you should block up any gaps etc once they have flown the nest. They are really such amazing creatures, you should think about it as your little effort to help a struggline species...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They sound like housemartins.
    The parents won't be out and about at night, they'll be in on the nest from dusk til dawn, so you're okay to close the door after dark. Just open it again as close to dawn as possible. Or... Leave the door slightly ajar as already suggested!
    Leave the nest well alone until the chicks have fledged. It's an offence to tamper with active nests, but apart from that, you don't want to disturb them or for the parents to abandon their young.
    As aonb has said, these are truly remarkable creatures... They migrate thousands of miles each year, and still find their way back to their own nests here in Ireland. It's a privilege to host them :)

Advertisement