Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike for the first time

Options
  • 06-06-2019 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Planning to buy my first bike in a few weeks, just waiting to do my IBT.

Let's say I buy from a dealer in the city centre. I know it's best to ring around and get quotes before buying, so what's the process there? Go in, pick out bike, go outside and ring Principal etc, then go back in with my offer? Or would it be better to go in, see what's available, pick two bikes, go home and get quotes, make offer the next day? :confused:

I've never bought a vehicle of any sort, so just confused by the process and want it to go as smoothly as possible. I'm working full time as well so don't have a lot of time to be in and out of the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If you're doing the IBT do it on a school bike and see what you think of it before looking to buy something.

Don't buy a new bike. What category bike is your permit valid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Planning to buy my first bike in a few weeks, just waiting to do my IBT.

Let's say I buy from a dealer in the city centre. I know it's best to ring around and get quotes before buying, so what's the process there? Go in, pick out bike, go outside and ring Principal etc, then go back in with my offer? Or would it be better to go in, see what's available, pick two bikes, go home and get quotes, make offer the next day? :confused:

I've never bought a vehicle of any sort, so just confused by the process and want it to go as smoothly as possible. I'm working full time as well so don't have a lot of time to be in and out of the city centre.

Pick the bike you like and make a deal on how much you are willing to pay, leave a deposit subject to getting insurance. The shops all open Saturdays so you can check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I bought my first bike 2 years ago. Hadn't a clue.
    I found a bike I liked (A1 category). Rang insurance company and went and bought it from Cityspares in Dublin. I just felt that buying from a dealer with a good reputation gave me extra confidence.The guys in there were brilliant and really supportive. They were patient and really helpful. And they do have a lot of bikes at the lower end of the price scale which is grand for a starter bike.

I hadn't enough knowledge to know what I really want so I would recommend buy a bike to start on. Don't spend a lot of money and get comfortable and understand what you want out of a bike.

Also don't be fixated on category A bikes. There are loads of fantastic bikes suitable for beginners that are not suitable for your full category A test/IBT. Use the school bike for that.
    Then after you have put up a bunch of miles and time in the saddle go bike buying for a bike you know you want. The bike I want now, is completely different from the bike I wanted 2 years ago before I started riding.

Don't overthink it! It can be daunting at the start. Even buying my first set of bike gear was daunting. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

As per grim, do your IBT first, then you'll have a better idea of what bikes might suit you. Your ibt instructor will give you lots of helpful information, just ask them.

Once you've done the ibt, get a few bike models in mind that you'd like to purchase. Get insurance quotes for all of them and then see what you can find for sale. If possible throw the leg over a few before deciding what bike is your #1 choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

If you're doing the IBT do it on a school bike and see what you think of it before looking to buy something.

Don't buy a new bike. What category bike is your permit valid for?

Thanks, not planning on buying new! It'll be the A category.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Pick the bike you like and make a deal on how much you are willing to pay, leave a deposit subject to getting insurance. The shops all open Saturdays so you can check them out.

Grand, thank you.
    I bought my first bike 2 years ago. Hadn't a clue.
    I found a bike I liked (A1 category). Rang insurance company and went and bought it from Cityspares in Dublin. I just felt that buying from a dealer with a good reputation gave me extra confidence.The guys in there were brilliant and really supportive. They were patient and really helpful. And they do have a lot of bikes at the lower end of the price scale which is grand for a starter bike.

I hadn't enough knowledge to know what I really want so I would recommend buy a bike to start on. Don't spend a lot of money and get comfortable and understand what you want out of a bike.

Also don't be fixated on category A bikes. There are loads of fantastic bikes suitable for beginners that are not suitable for your full category A test/IBT. Use the school bike for that.
    Then after you have put up a bunch of miles and time in the saddle go bike buying for a bike you know you want. The bike I want now, is completely different from the bike I wanted 2 years ago before I started riding.

Don't overthink it! It can be daunting at the start. Even buying my first set of bike gear was daunting. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks very much man, great answer. I think I am too hung up on the A bikes alright. City Spares aren't too far from me so I will drop in and have a look. I am planning to buy from a dealership for the very same reason as well.
    zubair wrote: »
    As per grim, do your IBT first, then you'll have a better idea of what bikes might suit you. Your ibt instructor will give you lots of helpful information, just ask them.

Once you've done the ibt, get a few bike models in mind that you'd like to purchase. Get insurance quotes for all of them and then see what you can find for sale. If possible throw the leg over a few before deciding what bike is your #1 choice.

Thanks dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Had a lad in with me today looking for advice on getting a bike....nice to see a young lad interested in bikes thesedays...just sayin...:)

Advertisement