Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine and other drugs in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

leimmxvii wrote: »
    Besides coke use let us not forget about the drug culture among our youth particularly at techno festivals

It doesn't matter what festival or gig you go to there will always be people consuming drugs at them. I'd say probably 50 percent of the people at Slane yesterday were enjoying themselves on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Listening to newstalk this morning discuss a recent report that cocaine use in Ireland is the 3rd highest in Europe.

Very easy to get any and all dugs nowadays. From the traditional street dealer to the dark net posting to your door.

Do you see cocaine use in your towns and villages?
    Tell us some of your stories

I see about half a gram of coke here in front of me.

I like to use a straw to snort it. Anything else you want to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

All of the new candidates for British pm use it. What else do you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ilovemycharlie

Give up the drugs lads honestly not worth it, you’ll be a fair more productive and motivated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In oz at the minute and i never realised how much irish people love drugs till now. Heard of it being taken on sites a few times "to keep them going through the night". I reckon i could only count on two hands people i know from the local boozers here who havent touched it myself included. First i thought twas really just the dublin lads that were snorting but i soon saw the country crowd were bigger pigs for it than them nearly. Ket is a big one here too at the minute the lads love it as they reckon the coke is too weak out here. Ive seen enough lads and women from ireland out here and their lives ruined already from drugs out here and there only in there 20s. The cops visit our local two if not three nights on a weekend with the dogs and check the cubicles aswell but all anyone i ever know of getting caught with it just got a slap on the wrist. Main reason i didnt take it myself was that if i failed a roadside drug test or one on site i would be ****ed without a licence or job despite the random tests lads are always able to runaway from the bus somehow or another, its worse out in rural areas here but thats mainly the aussies for example im going for a job on a harvsting crew this week and i need to pass a drug test before i even get started and will be subject to random tests throughout the season.

If you can count on two hands the ones that didn't touch it then that means the majority didn't touch it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheChizler wrote: »
    Absolutely but if you're going to use stats to make an argument then at least make them believable.

This big enough for ya

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/23/mexico-crime-homicides-violence-up-report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Berserker wrote: »
    Where do they get the data to back up these stats? Wouldn't have a clue where to go to get illegal drugs.

A pub or nightclub in a bar. It's were I got my first E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

listermint wrote: »
    Seems to be based in reality, so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Give up the drugs lads honestly not worth it, you’ll be a fair more productive and motivated

Username checks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Berserker wrote: »
    Where do they get the data to back up these stats? Wouldn't have a clue where to go to get illegal drugs.

I was offered them when trading at a market; for pain as being less addictive...

• Advertisement

I wonder ..if people put what they spent on cocaine and drugs into their PRSA how much those people would have when it came time to retire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I wonder ..if people put what they spent on cocaine and drugs into their PRSA how much those people would have when it came time to retire?

Probably alot less than the fat ****s who gorge on chocolate, crisps and icecream. Everyone has their vices.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Probably alot less than the fat ****s who gorge on chocolate, crisps and icecream. Everyone has their vices.

Hell naw dude.

I would say the average user spends at least 10k a year.

People have spent like 100k per year on cocaine in this city.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/3499269/the-darkness-frontman-justin-hawkins-reveals-i-spent-150k-on-coke-when-my-christmas-song-made-1m-in-a-month-now-i-splash-out-on-tesco-finest/

Junk food is cheap compared to fruits and veg.
    Not that i spend much on junk anyway.

During the tiger yrs people spent like a grand per week on cocaine. Even weed people would spend maybe 5k a year.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-was-spending-200-on-a-weekend-on-cocaine-then-500-and-then-1000-how-the-boom-is-back-for-the-party-drug-of-the-celtic-tiger-36327627.html
    Dated 2017
    'I was spending €200 on a weekend on cocaine, then €500, and then €1,000' - How the boom is back for the party drug of the Celtic Tiger
    Cocaine was the party drug of the Celtic Tiger era. Now it is back in fashion, and this time ­snorting the expensive white powder has become ­prevalent among the middle classes. As the gardaí strike a major blow against Dublin's drug criminals, Kim Bielenberg reports on a mounting crisis

That is 2 yrs ago i would say its worse now.

People who smoke cigarettes on average spend 6k per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In oz at the minute and i never realised how much irish people love drugs till now. Heard of it being taken on sites a few times "to keep them going through the night". I reckon i could only count on two hands people i know from the local boozers here who havent touched it myself included. First i thought twas really just the dublin lads that were snorting but i soon saw the country crowd were bigger pigs for it than them nearly. Ket is a big one here too at the minute the lads love it as they reckon the coke is too weak out here. Ive seen enough lads and women from ireland out here and their lives ruined already from drugs out here and there only in there 20s. The cops visit our local two if not three nights on a weekend with the dogs and check the cubicles aswell but all anyone i ever know of getting caught with it just got a slap on the wrist. Main reason i didnt take it myself was that if i failed a roadside drug test or one on site i would be ****ed without a licence or job despite the random tests lads are always able to runaway from the bus somehow or another, its worse out in rural areas here but thats mainly the aussies for example im going for a job on a harvsting crew this week and i need to pass a drug test before i even get started and will be subject to random tests throughout the season.

You are completely correct but the truth is it certainly is not our best and brightest going out to Oz on working holiday visas so you are getting a particularly skewed image of proceedings. Not saying that those who are better off don’t dabble but they generally have a bit more decorum about it.

The yearly cost of addictions is something anyone can look up they should show it in schools.

Cash is more tangible to teens than their health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd say you're massively overestimating. Picking out habitual daily or weekly users as the average is definitely off - the average user buys once a month or every 2-3 months when they want to let rip & there's a minority who take it weekly or daily who bring the average spend way up.

Hell naw dude.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/3499269/the-darkness-frontman-justin-hawkins-reveals-i-spent-150k-on-coke-when-my-christmas-song-made-1m-in-a-month-now-i-splash-out-on-tesco-finest/

During the tiger yrs people spent like a grand per week on cocaine. Even weed people would spend maybe 5k a year.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-was-spending-200-on-a-weekend-on-cocaine-then-500-and-then-1000-how-the-boom-is-back-for-the-party-drug-of-the-celtic-tiger-36327627.html
    Dated 2017

Youre miles off the mark with those averages, miles. 3g's a day is not normal or average.

As for weed, I used to smoke every day, and wouldn't have done 100 a week. 50 at most. People spend that on takeaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Could say the same about cigarettes or alcohol. Ultimately. what people do wit htheir money - wisely or unwisely - is their business.
    Hell naw dude.

Dated 2017

Ok, a few numbers there, if you don't mind, we can carefully and respectfully insert back into your arse, seeing as that's where you pulled them out from :) :

1 - The average user spends 10k on cocaine a year.
    Eh, wha....?! Who is this "average" user?!
    (and i refuse to accept a sun link about one person as proof)
    That's 2 grams per week. Maybe the kind of guys who live the lives you see on "the Wolf of Wall Street" go through that, but that's not the "average user". Speaking from experience, one gram is enough for a weekend and believe me that's not every weekend. Once a month would be more accurate.

2 - Weed people spend 5k a year.
    100 euro a week on weed? How many weed smokers do you actually know...?

3 - People who smoke cigarettes on average spend 6k per year.
    That's 40 a day every day.
    HSE says actual answer is 12.7; which would mean less that 2k per year.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The cocaine problem in my town was so bad some of the bars in the place had to coat the toilet cistern with vaseline, easily solved with a beer mat, there would usually be a few up on top of the cubicle wall with lines still on them, it was bad then 10 years ago, I can only imagine what's its like now

Could say the same about cigarettes or alcohol. Ultimately. what people do wit htheir money - wisely or unwisely - is their business.

Ok, a few numbers there, if you don't mind, we can carefully and respectfully insert back into your arse, seeing as that's where you pulled them out from :) :

1 - The average user spends 10k on cocaine a year.
    Eh, wha....?! Who is this "average" user?!
    (and i refuse to accept a sun link about one person as proof)

2 - Weed people spend 5k a year.
    100 euro a week on weed? How many weed smokers do you actually know...?

3 - People who smoke cigarettes on average spend 6k per year.
    That's 40 a day every day.
    HSE says actual answer is 12.7; which would mean less that 2k per year.

Correct and right on all 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Alainef

Thoughts on cocaine in Kiltimagh? Is it as readily available as they say?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

People who take drugs are the lowest type of scum. They moan and grown about societies ills whilst buying a product that has caused untold misery in other parts of the world and communities in this country. Take 5 minutes online to watch how the cartels deal with people including using a chainsaw to behead grown men who are crying out for their mothers and tell me how cool you are snorting coke off the toilet seat in some swanky niteclub in Dublin. Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

People who take drugs are the lowest type of scum. They moan and grown about societies ills whilst buying a product that has caused untold misery in other parts of the world and communities in this country. Take 5 minutes online to watch how the cartels deal with people including using a chainsaw to behead grown men who are crying out for their mothers and tell me how cool you are snorting coke off the toilet seat in some swanky niteclub in Dublin. Scum.

They should make them illegal, that'll teach them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Drug users aren't scum. Drug dealers are utter rodents that deserve to be taken out of society.

Drug dealers are utter rodents that deserve to be taken out of society.
    Are they all like that though?

True.

But maybe we are the scum too ..for not legalizing it...we are kind of pretending we are moral for keeping drugs illegal.

Its all for show if that is going on and we are not doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Drug users aren't scum.

They kind of are, if you buy cocaine there's a clear chain of murder and misery stretching across europe back to south america, each gram of coke easily has a litre of blood attached to it, you cant shrug and say "sure I'm not the one doing it", you're putting money in their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True.

But maybe we are the scum too ..for not legalizing it...we are kind of pretending we are moral for keeping drugs illegal.

Its all for show if that is going on and we are not doing something.

Come on you - stop feeding the bloody trolls. Leave them to enjoy their pints and cigs in peace ;)

El_Bee wrote: »
    They kind of are, if you buy cocaine there's a clear chain of murder and misery stretching across europe back to south america, each gram of coke easily has a litre of blood attached to it, you cant shrug and say "sure I'm not the one doing it", you're putting money in their pockets.

So make drugs legal and remove the criminal element completely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is that you Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Exactly, but the problem with legalisation is this.

It needs to expensive enough to deter widespread usage and to get a good revenue for the state but cheap enough to eliminate black market and organised crime.
    Not easy IMHO. But I think it's possible.

If you buy a smartphone or clothes there's a clear chain of murder and misery stretching across europe back to Bangladesh and the far east, each phone easily has a litre of blood attached to it, you cant shrug and say "sure I'm not the one buying it", you're putting money in their pockets.

Holier than thou arguments can be made for almost anything.

People who take drugs are the lowest type of scum. They moan and grown about societies ills whilst buying a product that has caused untold misery in other parts of the world and communities in this country.

Were the people who drank alcohol during prohibition utter scum too? It wasn't anything to do with duplicitous populist scumbags seeking re-election or brown envelopes from the cartels who were creating these disingenuous puritan laws, no?

Oh right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

By virtue of what they are doing, yes they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.......... each gram of coke easily has a litre of blood attached to it, .......

1,792,597 kilos produced in '17

1,792,597,000 grams

÷ say 5 litres per person

358,519,400 people

50,000,000 ~ population of Columbia

hmmmmmm

• Advertisement

By virtue of what they are doing, yes they are.

Ah, you mean the Vinters Asc. - fair enough.

I'd be in favour of Cannabis alright.

If you buy a smartphone or clothes there's a clear chain of murder and misery stretching across europe back to Bangladesh and the far east, each phone easily has a litre of blood attached to it, you cant shrug and say "sure I'm not the one buying it", you're putting money in their pockets.

Holier than thou arguments can be made for almost anything.

Gibberish and bull****, Samsung/Huawei execs don't behead innocent people, shoot the mothers of victims, traffic people etc. You're grasping at straws to justify the bump or two you enjoy on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

On the ‘other drug’ aspect, it’s a relief to see so few reports of N-bomb hospitalisations or fatalities since this one:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3444086/sister-of-tragic-alex-ryan-n-bomb-emergency-response-cards/

This hallucinogenic drug is far more dangerous than LSD. There is no known safe dose.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    On the ‘other drug’ aspect, it’s a relief to see so few reports of N-bomb hospitalisations or fatalities since this one:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3444086/sister-of-tragic-alex-ryan-n-bomb-emergency-response-cards/

This hallucinogenic drug is far more dangerous than LSD. There is no known safe dose.

More dangerous than LSD????
    Is LSD dangerous? More dangerous than alcohol? How do we define?

People will take drugs. Why not regulate, educate and make it safer?

• Advertisement

Gibberish and bull****, Samsung/Huawei execs don't behead innocent people, shoot the mothers of victims, traffic people etc. You're grasping at straws to justify the bump or two you enjoy on the weekend

I don't partake, but if I did I wouldn't try justify it, I'd just do it. You're ok with child slave labour and sweat shops but not ok with people in the drugs trade dying. But then again fine with cannabis. You're a confused hypocrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I wonder if people here would be okay with their teenagers/young adults using cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana while at home?

I wonder if people here would be okay with their teenagers/young adults using cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana while at home?

Fwiw I'm a 44 year old with children aged 21 and 22, have always educated my children as to the effects of ALL drugs and have no problem with them taking whatever in the safe environment of our home. In fact I've smoked weed with my son, through a bong as I no longer smoke cigs.
    Neither of them are regular drug takers and both of them are doing well in college (oldest has just gotten a degree and seeking work)

Not everyone who takes recreational drugs becomes a raving junkie. It's all about the morals and the knowing that normal life is waiting for you in the morning.

Wouldn't be a fan of teens taking drugs because they can be such a distraction due to how amazing some of them are, but if they're out of secondary school I'd probably have a nice evening of drugs with them, yeah.

Had a friend whose parents didn't mind us being on mushrooms or smoking weed with them before, they were lovely folk. One a teacher, the other some sort of engineer.

Cocaine can feel lovely and all that but it's considered an asshole drug for a reason - probably not the best drug to take with family as either one of you could transform into a belligerent dickhead, especially if there's any teeny tiny issues between ye, they'll become big issues. Whereas taking MDMA in the same situation will likely lead to a 3hr empathy-fest where any issue is mended and your love for eachother feels stronger than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

LSD is extremely safe, overdose and physical harm is almost impossible. The only thing which could happen to you with LSD is developing a psychosis or commit suicide/or get into accident as a result of being too wasted (e.g. by running in front of a car or jumping from somewhere high enough).

grindle wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a fan of teens taking drugs because they can be such a distraction due to how amazing some of them are, but if they're out of secondary school I'd probably have a nice evening of drugs with them, yeah.

i think it's supposed to have a more pronounced effect on developing brains, including teens

I don't partake, but if I did I wouldn't try justify it, I'd just do it. You're ok with child slave labour and sweat shops but not ok with people in the drugs trade dying. But then again fine with cannabis. You're a confused hypocrite.

Strawman, I never said I was ok with sweatshops and the like, you're putting words in my mouth. The butchery of the drug trade is far worse than the unjust treatment of low paid workers in 3rd world countries, you cannot deny that. You just wanted to sound wise with your "how can you not support x when y happens" nonsense, should we all be hoovering up white because whaling and factory farms take place too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

McGiver wrote: »
    LSD is extremely safe, overdose and physical harm is almost impossible. The only thing which could happen to you with LSD is developing a psychosis or commit suicide/or get into accident as a result of being too wasted (e.g. by running in front of a car or jumping from somewhere high enough).

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Muzzymor wrote: »
    Blaming "prohibition" and suggesting legalisation as a solution is an argument put forward by useful idiots who've been fed a few soundbites by those with a financial interest in legalisation.

"Prohibition doesn't work" might be less nonsensical if we'd actually enforced prohibition over the past couple of decades. We have junkies falling around the streets of the city centre and people freely using drugs in clubs etc and boasting about it. Prohibition me arse.

Prohibition works in lots of countries, what you're really saying is that either you like drugs and want them to be legal or like most western centrists/liberals you just don't have the stomach to actually properly enforce laws against drug USE (not just supply) because every criminal is just a poor victim of circumstance.

Look at Japan. You'll find BS guardian articles trying to claim there's a secret drug problem there but has anyone who's been to Tokyo ever seen even one junkie roaming the streets/causing trouble?
    Take a leaf out of their book. Start locking people up for possession/use, make it something you lose your job and get a criminal record for and you'll see the demand go down quick enough.

There are drugs in Tokyo, I would say that dealing is more open in Tokyo than it is in Dublin. The only place where I have seen prohibition work is in Singapore and they are a tiny island nation who spent decades executing clueless 3rd world drug mules to achieve their weed free Nirvana. Larger countries with equally harsh measures fail, look at China and the Philippines.

You're not going to convince anyone that you know what you're talking about re: drugs when you quote articles in the sun.
    WTF?

The second line of his post is bull****. The first is true - it's safer and less addictive than alcohol if you use it responsibly.

If you don't, then every drug is dangerous, legal or otherwise

• Advertisement
Advertisement