Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine and other drugs in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How much heroin is it safe to take?

Ask Bayer, i'm sure they'd know they used to sell it.

UNxi6Cy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Cocaine is a total waste of money. A drug for the weak and insecure who want to look for an "escape" or excuse.

So exactly like alcohol then.

Or the Gym

People who brag about the gym tend to be extremely dull and one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Cocaine is a total waste of money. A drug for the weak and insecure who want to look for an "escape" or excuse. man the f*ck up and stop putting that **** up your nose.. The Gym is my cocaine, i haven't touched that **** in well over a year and will never touch an illegal drug again in my life. I've seen cocaine litterally change peoples personalities turn into complete f*cking p*icks. Also not to say the amount of people and families abused over drug debts, along with the amount of people suffering from depression off it hanging themselves.

Get this, right, I know a guy and he goes to the gym AND takes cocaine. ****ing crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

People who brag about the gym tend to be extremely dull and one dimensional.

And your a lazy ****. Get up off your arse!

And your a lazy ****. Get up off your arse!

I will if you stop talking through yours.

I forgot to mention, they are usually slightly unhinged.

I will if you stop talking through yours.

I forgot to mention, they are usually slightly unhinged.

Good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I took cocaine about 5 times on nights out.
    I never felt the benefit of it to be honest but most certainly felt the lows the day after. It's terrible.

I'd have the odd space cookie once a month or so with some junk food and some funny movies.... harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I took cocaine about 5 times on nights out.
    I never felt the benefit of it to be honest but most certainly felt the lows the day after. It's terrible.

I'd have the odd space cookie once a month or so with some junk food and some funny movies.... harmless.

And some people will consume cannabis, get really paranoid and have a terrible time. While others will take cocaine once in a while, enjoy it and not experience the same lows you did, harmless.

• Advertisement

Say no to drink and drugs. Either-way I have an advantage over people who take them.

Say no to drink and drugs. Either-way I have an advantage over people who take them.

Really? You don't seem like a happy person at all.

Really? You don't seem like a happy person at all.

I’m happy I don’t take drugs anymore or need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Except cocaine is way more expensive

Greyfox wrote: »

You can easily spend more than 80 a night on alcohol.

Greyfox wrote: »
    You'd get a lot longer out of a gram of coke than you would 100 quid of a night's drinking.

Yes coke is expensive because you'll probably have to buy a gram. But you're hardly going to put more than a gram of coke in yourself on a night out.

And if you are, lay off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You'd get a lot longer out of a gram of coke than you would 100 quid of a night's drinking.

Yes coke is expensive because you'll probably have to buy a gram. But you're hardly going to put more than a gram of coke in yourself on a night out.

And if you are, lay off it.

Try not finishing your Cocaine. Try it!!

Did speed twice - First time the next day was a rite off - The second time the next day was like something from the depths of hell! Never want that feeling again.

Did coke twice - pretty meh

I’ll admit there is a dirty craving for the drug once you get a taste/good whack off it. I’ve probably took it 30+ times in my life (started Dec 2017 till March 2019) I knew most the local drug dealers.

These days I just enjoy the odd glass of whiskey and a cigar, I only drink when abroad or on occasions id rather save my money tbh

ardinn wrote: »
    Try not finishing your Cocaine. Try it!!

Did speed twice - First time the next day was a rite off - The second time the next day was like something from the depths of hell! Never want that feeling again.

Did coke twice - pretty meh

Just so easy to leave it there for the next night, right?

• Advertisement

tried speed once the comedown was terrible. prob should have done an acetone wash, was an incredibly strong smell of nail varnish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

tried speed once the comedown was terrible. prob should have done an acetone wash, was an incredibly strong smell of nail varnish.

I assume speed in Ireland is not the same as ice (crystal meth)? Crystal methaphetamine is quite uncommon in the UK/Ireland as it is in Australia and the States.

I'm afraid of trying amphetamines and other strong stimulants because of psychosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I assume speed in Ireland is not the same as ice (crystal meth)? Crystal methaphetamine is quite uncommon in the UK/Ireland as it is in Australia and the States.

I'm afraid of trying amphetamines and other strong stimulants because of psychosis.

I think the psychosis is more a probability of psilocybin drugs (LSD/mushrooms/psychedelics) than amphetamines.

Speed is not Crystal Meth. It's similar to Ritalin in terms of makeup, and it's primarily taken as a functional drug than a party drug. Party goes would go for E ahead of speed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Speed is amphetamine, Crystal meth is methamphetamine. Both stimulants but the latter is far more potent.
    We are blessed that methamphetamine is not widely available here. Does anyone know why? It's cheap to make so you would think that when there is money to be made the dealers wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I’m happy I don’t take drugs anymore or need them

If you haven't taken any drugs how do you know you don't need them.

Limiting personal exploration is a waste of potential.

tuxy wrote: »
    Speed is amphetamine, Crystal meth is methamphetamine. Both stimulants but the latter is far more potent.
    We are blessed that methamphetamine is not widely available here. Does anyone know why? It's cheap to make so you would think that when there is money to be made the dealers wouldn't care.

I think heroin is just more popular.

I suppose meth is more popular in hot places. When you start tweaking, you wanna go places and walk around. Much better in Australia or the Mid US as opposed to rainy Ireland.

• Advertisement

I remember mephedrone being all over the place a few years ago and now it's completely gone. Same thing ish, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

stims alone are total crap, who would want to be awake for day or two in a row, not to mention drain on body, i get why it would be used to mix with heroin or meth.

but looking at entire extraction,smuggle process, cutting who would want to waste 100s on that crap willingly :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I remember mephedrone being all over the place a few years ago and now it's completely gone. Same thing ish, right?

Isn't that called synthetic coke? More of a stimulant than an amphetamine

Isn't that called synthetic coke? More of a stimulant than an amphetamine

Yeah maybe. It was cheap enough and usually better...

So I've read.

If you haven't taken any drugs how do you know you don't need them.

Limiting personal exploration is a waste of potential.

I have taken plenty of drugs look at my previous posts

• Advertisement

Crystal meth is easily available in Dublin, and at one time it looked like it was going to become very popular, but I think it's losing market share to crack. Crack gives you reasonably similar effects, and has grown massively in popularity or so I've heard.

Crystal meth is common among some people in the gay community here, I know a few friends who are gay who use it at a level I'd find frankly, worrying.

No mephedrone is what the headshops sold as bath salts, after the headshops were shutdown people continued to use it as the old stock was easily available.
    It's not nearly as strong a stimulant as methamphetamine it's effects are closer to MDMA.
    You can still get it if you really want but most people stick to MDMA
    Crystal meth is easily available in Dublin, and at one time it looked like it was going to become very popular, but I think it's losing market share to crack. Crack gives you reasonably similar effects, and has grown massively in popularity or so I've heard.

Crystal meth is common among some people in the gay community here, I know a few friends who are gay who use it at a level I'd find frankly, worrying.

The effects of crack are brief meth can sometimes last all-day without taking more so since it's cheap and long lasting and is a more potent I'm still surprised it's not taken hold here yet. Has there ever been a major seizure of methamphetamine in Ireland?
    I can understand why something like poppers would be very popular in the gay scene but why methamphetamine?

I notice the Garda roadside drugs test doesn't test for amphetamine or methamphetamine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think some people think that when they hear of someone taking coke, they imagine Tony Montana snorting it from a massive pile on the table. A gram is €70-€100, only the super rich can afford to take it extravagantly. Personally, I think a lot of people take coke wrong, shovel it up their nose at every opportunity. I treat coke like a pick me up, a small bit every hour or so just to keep the energy up. I did take too much one night, at a house party thank fook, and it just reminded me of MDMA. I couldn't keep my right eye open, I couldn't stop dancing ("dancing"), and my jaw was going 90.

Never get a comedown from coke, but again that could be the way I take it. I don't take it often, as I used to only take it when I was drinking, and I haven't drank in over 18 months. One of the best decisions I ever made tbh, alcohol is literally poison, makes no sense to be drinking it, but as the people with money are invested in the alcohol trade, it's seen as acceptable. Each to their own.

Saying that, if cannabis was ever legalised for recreational use, I would 100% turn into a full time stoner. Unlike the popular beliefs, there are strains of cannabis to give you energy, and there are strains to bomb you out. I reckon that the people against drugs know quite a few people who take said drugs without them knowing. Also, millions of deaths directly related to alcohol every year. There hasn't been a single recorded death directly related to cannabis. Ever. A doctor in the US and England both tried to blame cannabis for 2 separate deaths, but these were quickly withdrawn as the decision was made based on a lack of any other evidence, so an incorrect call on their behalf (even other doctors called them out, correlation does not equal causation).

So:

Alcohol - One of the worlds biggest killers
    Cannabis - No recorded deaths, has actual beneficial properties (works with the cannabinoids already produced by your own body)
    Cocaine - Grand in small doses
    MDMA - Can cause problems due to overuse, but in general it's becoming a drug to treat different issues with, mainly PTSD
    LSD - Haven't tried it myself, would like to, but not as dangerous as the meeja would have you believe
    Ketamine - Crazy stuff, thoroughly enjoyed my experience with it, but the K-Hole scares me from doing it again
    Speed - Dirty drug, pointless imo
    Salvia - Love it, but impossible to get. It's a 5 minute trip and then you're perfectly fine again

Anything else I haven't tried, and no interest in. Heroin, as someone said above, is only addictive after the second or third try.

And I completely and utterly reject any proposition or theory that me buying drugs is making criminals money, blood on my hands, etc. People are going to take drugs. This will never stop. And that argument can more or less be eradicated with legalisation.

The effects of crack are brief meth can sometimes last all-day without taking more so since it's cheap and long lasting and is a more potent
    Yeah that's true. Although meth isn't cheap, it's about 100 euro for a half gram, so twice as expensive as coke.

I wonder if its safe for me to try stims like coke, mephedrone or meth given I have a minor heart arrhythmia according to my G.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I wonder if its safe for me to try stims like coke, mephedrone or meth given I have a minor heart arrhythmia according to my G.P.

No, most definitely not. There are even some strains of cannabis you should be avoiding

Yeah that's true. Although meth isn't cheap, it's about 100 euro for a half gram, so twice as expensive as coke.

Probably a sign it's not made here yet as I believe the ingredients are cheap if you can source them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No, most definitely not. There are even some strains of cannabis you should be avoiding

Yep. Even having the worry at the back of your mind while taking something can cause an incident.

Can lead to a future of panic attacks and literal heartache. Be careful out there folks.

I don’t like the way people obsess about drugs, some of my old mates all they would ever do is coke during the week and weekends, they had zero saving everything was spent on drink and drugs and then whoever they could get tic off they’d be there strung out at 8am on a Sunday. One of them robbed drugs off me and I said I’ve had enough... Thank **** I don’t hang around with that crew anymore I see snap stories of them completely bolloxed I actually feel sorry for them.

I don’t like the way people obsess about drugs, some of my old mates all they would ever do is coke during the week and weekends, they had zero saving everything was spent on drink and drugs and then whoever they could get tic off they’d be there strung out at 8am on a Sunday. One of them robbed drugs off me and I said I’ve had enough... Thank **** I don’t hang around with that crew anymore I see snap stories of them completely bolloxed I actually feel sorry for them.
    well luckily you've moved on now and you definitely don't dwell on the choices of others, Friend.

• Advertisement

well luckily you've moved on now and you definitely don't dwell on the choices of others, Friend.

There life there choice

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

*their

leimmxvii wrote: »
    *their

Thank you Mr Grammar Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Jaysus, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Yawn to all your posts on this thread.

Yawn to all your posts on this thread.

gwan kid get that coke up your nostril, snort the back off her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gwan kid get that coke up your nostril, snort the back off her

So, question: why did you start taking drugs in the first place (I'm guessing peer pressure) and why did you stop?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So, question: why did you start taking drugs in the first place (I'm guessing peer pressure) and why did you stop?

Out of curiosity and peer pressure I suppose (2nd year of college first a yoke then after taking coke I was hooked and didn’t take anything else). Stopped taking them after finding them to be too much of a burden and waste of time they stopped me from reaching other goals I had and was being a **** to the people I love staying in college weekend ended up hanging around a group of SCUMBAGS who only used me taking drugs instead of coming home to the parents. Also they money, cost me a fortune I spent a couple of grand easily over year or two, I got sick of them for a finishing knew there was better things to do with my time instead of drugs, haven’t looked back since delighted with myself I know I made the right decision would have gone down the addiction route and probably hung myself depression is in the family. Take drugs if you want I’m not gonna judge just be smart about it and no when to call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Out of curiosity and peer pressure I suppose (2nd year of college first a yoke then after taking coke I was hooked and didn’t take anything else). Stopped taking them after finding them to be too much of a burden and waste of time they stopped me from reaching other goals I had and was being a **** to the people I love staying in college weekend ended up hanging around a group of SCUMBAGS who only used me taking drugs instead of coming home to the parents. Also they money, cost me a fortune I spent a couple of grand easily over year or two, I got sick of them for a finishing knew there was better things to do with my time instead of drugs, haven’t looked back since delighted with myself I know I made the right decision would have gone down the addiction route and probably hung myself depression is in the family. Take drugs if you want I’m not gonna judge just be smart about it and no when to call it a day.

So a recreational drug user ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I would postulate that a *lot* of drug use (not all, but certainly a lot) is down to undiagnosed issues with depression and ADHD, combined with the fact that mainstream medicine - particularly in Ireland, where dextroamphetamine isn't even licensed with prescription to tread ADHD - is so averse to stimulants and dopaminergics due to their addiction liability, that they rely on first-line treatments which often exacerbate the issue. Seratonergics are the first line choice for depression, and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors for ADHD - in both cases, these fail to address the main issue, which for a lot of people is a f*cked up dopaminergic reward system. Drugs such as MDMA, cocaine, and amphetamines directly target either dopamine-releasing neurons, or the transporters responsible for removing dopamine from the brain, thus enhancing and prolonging the action of dopamine which motivates people to do things that make them feel good and feel psychologically rewarded.

The problem is that in mainstream medicine at the moment, what normal people call a "baseline" in terms of mood and motivation is considered the adequate target for medication. Seratonergics and NRIs achieve this, but they don't allow people to experience those moments of intense joy or optimism (either as a reaction to a good thing happening in the case of depression, or as a motivating factor to keep working on something in the expectation of a good thing happening in the case of ADHD) because they either don't touch the dopaminergic system or they only barely interact with it as a secondary mechanism. And for most people I've known with either issue, the inability to feel intense positive emotions as a result of taking the commonly prescribed meds (if you've ever heard someone on SSRIs or Strattera talk about feeling "numb", this is what they mean) is unbearable. Hence they turn to recreational dopaminergic drugs as a result.

I'll admit to self-medicating a strongly suspected ADHD issue with an over the counter cold medication which, as a little-known side effect, inhibits dopamine reuptake. My life has changed substantially for the better since I began doing this, but from all my research, getting diagnosed with ADHD as an adult would result in (a) being prescribed a norepinephrine-only stimulant which would give me more energy but not more motivation or 'drive', which is what I and many others with ADHD are lacking, and (b) cost me hundreds of euro every few months in repeated visits to a psychologist to have the scripts renewed. In my case, I choose one day (sometimes two) each week on which I'll do this off label self-medication, and in all honesty I've gotten more productive work done and put my life fully back on track in one year of doing this than in the previous six years of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me.

I'm not saying that taking drugs is smart, but I do feel that for some people it's a desperate attempt to self-medicate an issue which is very, very difficult to get the proper treatment for in this country. I'm not sure if any other Western country in the world has the utterly extremist opposition to dopaminergic medication for ADHD and depression that we have in Ireland, but certainly when compared with the UK or US, it's actually easier to get your hands on cocaine (insanely strong dopamine reuptake inhibitor) and methamphetamine (insanely strong dopamine releasing agent) than it is to get your hands on Concerta (average strength dopamine reuptake inhibitor) or Adderall (average strength dopamine releasing agent). And in my opinion, therein lies the problem.

Just my two cents!

Advertisement