Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine and other drugs in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I wonder would it be better to make marijuana legal, have it sold in certain
    shop,s and tax it .
    This would reduce the money going to criminal gangs,
    it would be like in america, only people over 21 could buy it.In Every town in ireland ,if you want to buy hash you can get it from someone.
    Many american states are making it legal to buy for adult,s
    or else you can buy it for medical reasons with a prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

riclad wrote: »
    shop,s and tax it .
    it would be like in america, only people over 21 could buy it.In Every town in ireland ,if you want to buy hash you can get it from someone.

I don't see what impact that would have on people seeking stimulating party drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

shop,s and tax it .

Your post's read like you are coming down off a 5 day bender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

shop,s and tax it .

We used to have head shops. Government (under pressure, admittedly) decided they preferred the criminal gangs.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

As someone who used to rave a lot when raving was raving I have to say that I always felt that ecstasy use was fairly harmless. However it definitely annihilated your serotonin levels and did lead to short term mental difficulties as a result. Not everyone was into taking it either and it caused the rupturing of a few friendships.

For what it is worth, I do think that cocaine use is a problem. It completely eats into your next day for starters, anytime I have ever gotten wired I end up in the kitchen waffling shight until at least breakfast time, suddenly you have lost a nights kip and your next day is destroyed. I would hate to think how regular users manage, they must end up like vampires, I doubt it is any craic after a while.

I can't stand people who comment on drug taking who have never tried the drug in question, or are quite simply anti drug because they associate drug use with problems. I have been taking drugs ( all sorts ) for years and I have never run into any real difficulties, yes I have a few stories to tell, but I would imagine that 19 out of 20 people who get out of it don't run into any issues at all.

The worst is when the statistics get rolled out and beaten around the room. Not everyone who takes class A's end up grovelling on the streets, anyone using this as an example have no clue.

I have been at parties where some of the most well known people in the country are off their barneys, I am not a celeb hound, but people of all walks of life are getting out of it from time to time, that includes Gards, Doctors, politicians, business people, actors , the lollipop man, your supermarket manager , etc etc. Your cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles and aunties are doing them too.

It has become common, but nothing like I have seen in the UK. I have a friend who works in media production in the UK, he goes to a lot of parties and award ceremonies etc. EVERYONE is at it over there. Think of any celebrity TV personality you can think of who are working in the media entertainment business in the UK ( nature programs don't count although Michaela Stachan was on the hitman and her back in the day) , but think about any of them, they are all on it , all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I
    I wonder are young people taught at school about the dangers of using drugs, drugs effects on long term health.

I'd seriously doubt it. Not in an honest fashion, anyway, which is a part of the problem.

Every drug effects every person differently. Some can handle ****loads of a certain drug, others can't. To say cocaine is dangerous because 20/40 people a year die is spurious to say the least.

It's dangerous if the person taking it can't handle it, end of story. Doesn't mean it's dangerous to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Thought a head shop was where you could buy paraphernalia used for consuming cannabis or tobacco ,i did not know you could buy real drugs there .
    I know some people can smoke hash a few times a week, without it having a major negative effect on their life style or their work.mature
    people in their 20,s and 30,s .
    I don,t think most people could use cocaine or other hard drugs, without
    it having some negative effect on their health .
    I was reading jack osbourne,s bio, the amount of drugs and drink he was taking every day when he was a teenager was amazing.
    After a few years he went into rehab.
    I think its well known that famous people go to partys and nightclub,s
    and have easy acess to a wide range of drugs .

I do,nt think you can judge ordinary people by the behavior of
    celebs, famous people with loads of money tend to use drugs
    ,thats obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    As someone who used to rave a lot when raving was raving I have to say that I always felt that ecstasy use was fairly harmless. However it definitely annihilated your serotonin levels and did lead to short term mental difficulties as a result. Not everyone was into taking it either and it caused the rupturing of a few friendships.

For what it is worth, I do think that cocaine use is a problem. It completely eats into your next day for starters, anytime I have ever gotten wired I end up in the kitchen waffling shight until at least breakfast time, suddenly you have lost a nights kip and your next day is destroyed. I would hate to think how regular users manage, they must end up like vampires, I doubt it is any craic after a while.

I can't stand people who comment on drug taking who have never tried the drug in question, or are quite simply anti drug because they associate drug use with problems. I have been taking drugs ( all sorts ) for years and I have never run into any real difficulties, yes I have a few stories to tell, but I would imagine that 19 out of 20 people who get out of it don't run into any issues at all.

The worst is when the statistics get rolled out and beaten around the room. Not everyone who takes class A's end up grovelling on the streets, anyone using this as an example have no clue.

I have been at parties where some of the most well known people in the country are off their barneys, I am not a celeb hound, but people of all walks of life are getting out of it from time to time, that includes Gards, Doctors, politicians, business people, actors , the lollipop man, your supermarket manager , etc etc. Your cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles and aunties are doing them too.

It has become common, but nothing like I have seen in the UK. I have a friend who works in media production in the UK, he goes to a lot of parties and award ceremonies etc. EVERYONE is at it over there. Think of any celebrity TV personality you can think of who are working in the media entertainment business in the UK ( nature programs don't count although Michaela Stachan was on the hitman and her back in the day) , but think about any of them, they are all on it , all night.

I once seen a chap devour a packet of raw chicken while off his box on coke, I dont think I need to to have taken it to conclude that its not a very good idea

I would hate to think how regular users manage, they must end up like vampires, I doubt it is any craic after a while.

I suspect many get by combing it with some benzodiazepine abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I once seen a chap devour a packet of raw chicken while off his box on coke, I dont think I need to to have taken it to conclude that its not a very good idea

That is literally the opposite to what cocaine makes sense people do.

Mushrooms or pills maybe.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    That is literally the opposite to what cocaine makes sense people do.

Mushrooms or pills maybe.

Not a chance on mushrooms. That's an even worse suggestion than his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You do realise when people take coke they are alert and in control and definitely not hungry, coke is a stimulant. You sure he wasn't drinking alcohol? I've seen plenty of people do stupid things while drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Not a chance on mushrooms. That's an even worse suggestion than his.

Ive seen people do messed up things on mushrooms.

You do realise when people take coke they are alert and in control and definitely not hungry, coke is a stimulant. You sure he wasn't drinking alcohol? I've seen plenty of people do stupid things while drunk

both

Of course you did. Very nice of you to not stop your pal from developing botulism.

Why do people be arsed posting crap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I promise you it wasn't cocaine that made him do that. Do you not feel a bit embarrassed spouting such nonsense?

both

So you blame the coke and not the alcohol for no other reason other than you have no idea what the effects of coke are.

lola85 wrote: »
    Ive seen people do messed up things on mushrooms.

Mushrooms are more sedative than stimulating and mildly emphatic. They're also reduce the apetite. I've taken them dozens of times and seen other people do the same, the effect simply isn't what the poster described.

Pills, maybe - if the amphetimine dose was higher than normal, but again - the emphatic effect of the MDMA would probably render it unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Xanax maybe.. Is your mate found of the upjohns/sticks?

• Advertisement

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Xanax maybe.. Is your mate found of the upjohns/sticks?

The chap in question was clearly tripping.

US2 wrote: »
    I promise you it wasn't cocaine that made him do that. Do you not feel a bit embarrassed spouting such nonsense?

No not really. That was my grasp on what happened, if he has taken something else he did not tell me (He swore it was only coke). As said above he was also drinking heavy.

Of course you did. Very nice of you to not stop your pal from developing botulism.

Why do people be arsed posting crap ?

What did say that implied me not intervening?

No not really. That was my grasp on what happened, if he has taken something else he did not tell me (He swore it was only coke). As said above he was also drinking heavy.

So you've no idea of the effects of cocaine, you do know the effects of alcohol, heavey alcohol consumption as you say, but it's the coke that done it not the alcohol?

Yes drinking heavy and taking coke will make you drunker with the stamina to keep drinking. It's definitely not coke making him do this like you want it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Probably just wanted a coke to wash down the chicken.

• Advertisement

That's a good point, as dangerous as alcohol is because it is not illegal it has helped in harm reduction. Can you imagine what he would have done if he was on illegal hooch!

Yes drinking heavy and taking coke will make you drunker with the stamina to keep drinking. It's definitely not coke making him do this like you want it to be

Excuse my ignorance, never really factored the alcohol into it like that

Excuse my ignorance, never really factored the alcohol into it like that

Put it this way, you could take a line of coke (as long as it was clean and not cut with other crap) and talk to your mother without her noticing.

Put it this way, you could take a line of coke (as long as it was clean and not cut with other crap) and talk to your mother without her noticing.

Well she might wonder why you're so talkative and happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

TheChizler wrote: »
    Absolutely but if you're going to use stats to make an argument then at least make them believable.

90% of stats on the internet are made up on the spot.

• Advertisement

90% of stats on the internet are made up on the spot.

35% of people will believe that too.

100% of people who've taken cocaine have not tripped and eaten raw chicken fillets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does anyone know anyone who inhales canned air ("air duster" they call it in the States) to get high here in Ireland? It's popular among teens who have no option but it's ****ed up. Seriously, you'd actually rather your kids sniff coke than inhale duster because it can cause instantaneous cardiac arrest. Know two lads in America who've died from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Does anyone know anyone who inhales canned air ("air duster" they call it in the States) to get high here in Ireland? It's popular among teens who have no option but it's ****ed up. Seriously, you'd actually rather your kids sniff coke than inhale duster because it can cause instantaneous cardiac arrest. Know two lads in America who've died from it.

I heard of teens sticking their heads in freezers after washing their hair apparently they get a high.
    Try it let us know how it goes.

huffing tippex was not unheard of when I went to school or even petrol(less common) I knew some lads living in England at the time and it was more of a problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Has anyone actually used the dark web for buying drugs? Seems way too risky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

jobless wrote: »

No Garda I haven't

Yes. Only small amounts though. Not risky at all to be honest, less risky than meeting dealer on the street

Not in your jursidiction :)

Nor directly because I don't have bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

If drugs were regulated it would make sense for teenagers to take MDMA than drink a load of cans.

marvin80 wrote: »
    No Garda I haven't

Original

• Advertisement

Yes. Only small amounts though. Not risky at all to be honest, less risky than meeting dealer on the street

How's it less risky? If it's caught in the post they have your address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If it's caught in the post you'd get a letter from Revenue, wouldn't order it again to that address and you'd find a less safe alternative avenue to buy what's almost certainly lower quality produce. And so goes the war on drugs, idiotic laws diverting people towards PMA and the like.

Parcel Motel. Bitcoin. The drugs are of a better quality too. I've only ever got a few grams at a time, if I did get caught I'll happily take the slap on the wrist. A fine at most.

Unless they can prove you ordered it, the address is relevant.

Unless they can prove you ordered it, the address is relevant.

I though possession was illegal. If it was unopened that would be a good defence but what angle could you take in court if it was opened and not reported?
    That said if you're not buying quantities large enough to supply I can't see the Garda bothering with a search warrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

tuxy wrote: »
    I though possession was illegal. If it was unopened that would be a good defence but what angle could you take in court if it was opened and not reported?
    That said if you're not buying quantities large enough to supply I can't see the Garda bothering with a search warrant.

Small amounts will be confiscated and a letter from Revenue sent asking you to be present while opening the package should you have been stupid enough to use your own name.

Large amounts will have a Garda dressed as a postman asking you to sign for it (so... don't sign it) and if you do a raid will be carried out minutes later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Well she might wonder why you're so talkative and happy.

And coming down with a cold , sniff sniff. Oh and the pin hole eye balls ! In a busy bar maybe but talking to your mother??

tuxy wrote: »

Knowlingly in possession.

In any case, if the intercept it, it's simply not proceeding to the address. They can't prove you ordered it - could very easily be someone with a grudge against you trying to set you up.

If they spot a pattern, and there's enough to make it worthwhile, they'll apply for a search warrant.

Knowlingly in possession.

In any case, if the intercept it, it's simply not proceeding to the address. They can't prove you ordered it - could very easily be someone with a grudge against you trying to set you up.

If they spot a pattern, and there's enough to make it worthwhile, they'll apply for a search warrant.

I doubt they would have the resources even if they were interested in trying to investigate such operations, which exist by the sounds of it.

TBH I would be more worried about getting ripped off by scammers, than the cops checking my post for a bit of personnel I took the initiative to purchase online.

Anyway they have effectively decriminalised personnel use now with the new 2 arrests before a charge rule. Anyone caught with a bit of personnel is now immune from prosecution unless they are caught 3 times. This only applies for being caught with minor amounts, but only dealers are carrying in bulk anyway.

Most casual users are unlikely to be arrested by the cops going forward as a result of this legislation.

• Advertisement

I doubt they would have the resources even if they were interested in trying to investigate such operations, which exist by the sounds of it.

TBH I would be more worried about getting ripped off by scammers, than the cops checking my post for a bit of personnel I took the initiative to purchase online.

Anyway they have effectively decriminalised personnel use now with the new 2 arrests before a charge rule. Anyone caught with a bit of personnel is now immune from prosecution unless they are caught 3 times. This only applies for being caught with minor amounts, but only dealers are carrying in bulk anyway.

Most casual users are unlikely to be arrested by the cops going forward as a result of this legislation.

Would this new law cover someone who was already convicted and charged of possession of 10e worth of cannabis 11 years ago?

Advertisement