Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marty Morrissey and Des Cahill: Flotsam?

• 07-06-2019 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

I can't understand how Morrissey is apparently so popular. Is he actually or is it just all publicity and self promotion? He's a typical GAA type. Inward looking. Provincial. Parochial. Has certain notions e.g. open shirt. Dyed hair.

Cahill. When I think of this fellow laziness and third rate come to mind.
    Both, if I am not mistaken were in that dancing programme. Do they think they are God's gift to broadcasting and television in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bobbyss wrote: »
    I can't understand how Morrissey is apparently so popular. Is he actually or is it just all publicity and self promotion? He's a typical GAA type. Inward looking. Provincial. Parochial. Has certain notions e.g. open shirt. Dyed hair.

i loved him in that series of horror movies he did though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Marty Morrisey is like Elvis when he was alive , nobody wanted to know him.
    When he died , he became famous with stuff named after him , Graceland, Elvis Burgers etc.

Des Cahill's brother is a notorious criminal, just be careful what you say.

Jetsam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I can't understand how Morrissey is apparently so popular. Is he actually or is it just all publicity and self promotion?

He isn't popular. He's just always on RTE.

To be fair to him though, you could write the two sentences above about quite a number of very visible Irish public figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

elefant wrote:
    To be fair to him though, you could write the two sentences above about quite a number of very visible Irish public figures.

elefant wrote:

Probably right.
    But all Morrissey is missing is a gold chain. But what kind of grown man wears a shirt like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

what does inward looking mean? is he cross eyed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

elefant wrote: »

+1 on that , should go through rte like a dose of salts and get rid of the lot of them, the problem is who would they get on the late late show then ??

they are just local reporters shouldnt be on more than national average wage - if they want make more money form supermarket openings or endorsments go ahead !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

robbiezero wrote: »
    what does inward looking mean? is he cross eyed?

It may mean failing to pretend that you live in fact in California. I am just going off the contexts in which I have heard the term used on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Tim or Gary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He's not popular he must have some dirt on someone in RTE because who in their right mind would to see that man on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He's not popular he must have some dirt on someone in RTE because who in their right mind would to see that man on TV?

MM is loved by many hence RTE having him on everything. He gets his face in everywhere.. worse than Shane Ross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They are inoffensive and entertaining grand for light TV, Marty send himself up a lot always a sign of a sound individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How do women and gay men and everyone else not just instantly orgasm when they are on .

They are RTEs finest after all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Both, if I am not mistaken were in that dancing programme. Do they think they are God's gift to broadcasting and television in particular?

you answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see Dezzie got the Katie Taylor Bray gig .

Bad mistake, voice way too light for that stuff as has been seen several times up to this.

Local lad has cornered that market, the spluttering and snorting should be wojdious.

Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Dated a ladies GAA player for a year or two back in college, and was at 2 ladies All-Ireland final dinners with her during the time.

Marty Morrissey was present at both dinners, and could barely take two steps without young ones hanging out of him. Can't understand it myself, but he does seem to be very popular with a large demographic of young gaa-loving ladies.

To be fair - Marty didn't seem to be unhappy with their attention either :D

Marty is a GAA Breeding Machine .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

blackwhite wrote: »
    Dated a ladies GAA player for a year or two back in college, and was at 2 ladies All-Ireland final dinners with her during the time.

Marty Morrissey was present at both dinners, and could barely take two steps without young ones hanging out of him. Can't understand it myself, but he does seem to be very popular with a large demographic of young gaa-loving ladies.

To be fair - Marty didn't seem to be unhappy with their attention either :D

It'd be like seeing Jedward at a public event. Nobody has any real respect for him; people would just think it a laugh to get a picture with him.

People slate the GAA for a lot of things, but the kind of 'mad rural bastard' craic around figures like Marty Morrissey and Rory's Stories is, to me, by far the grimmest element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not Marty Morrissey or Des Cahill publicising themselves. It's RTE's fault for having feckall presenters and having to use the same presenters for a rake of programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Marty is over exposed but what exactly is " inward looking" about him, I find him quite versatile, he's a thoroughly likeable fellow

Cahill I've never had any time for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm usually thankful when I see one of these fellas.

It's one less show Kathryn Thomas is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am a bit confused about this moan is it that a station that mostly has an audience base over 45 years of age dose not have cool edgy presenters?.

Is it moan about the influence of the GAA?

Is it a moan that because the OP does not like them everyone dose, not like them?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Marty Morrissey is to GAA supporters as Joe Dolan was to travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am a bit confused about this moan is it that a station that mostly has an audience base over 45 years of age dose not have cool edgy presenters?.

Is it moan about the influence of the GAA?

Is it a moan that because the OP does not like them everyone dose, not like them?.

"somebody is popular that i dont like" is probably the gist of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Marty is one of those who have benefitted from social media.

Someone who is conventionally unattractive but is unique and has his own type of mannerisms and style but at the same time appeals to his own small original audience.

Then the memes start. Ones like the marty party and how he's shagging everyone. Then it just grows and grows.

It's the same with daniel o'donnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Marty Morrissey fact: He was an only child and so were both his parents so he has no cousins, let alone brothers or sisters.

Poor auld Marty!

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Marty Morrissey fact: He was an only child and so were both his parents so he has no cousins, let alone brothers or sisters.

Poor auld Marty!

Really?.. That's kind of mad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Poor auld Marty!

Well, thankfully the bloodline ends with him! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Poor auld Marty!

That's just a cover story. He's from another planet.
    Des looks and sounds like he's about to fall asleep. Terrible presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Those eyebrows are out of this world.

That's how I feel as well. Dreadful. An incisive, intelligent interview I have never heard him do.
    Gwynplaine wrote:
    That's just a cover story. He's from another planet. Des looks and sounds like he's about to fall asleep. Terrible presenter.

Whatever about Des..

There's definitely something kind of "so not cool he's kinda cool" in a very kitsch backwards Ireland kind of way about Marty..
    And the head on him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The horse sh1te marty spewed during the Galway limerick All Ireland about dolores o riordan and the cranberries was a fcukin joke.it would give a rage induced dose of diarrhea to a cat who had the misfortune of hearing it.
    Ranting and raving and quoting lyrics from her songs just because she was limerick.it would make you vomit.
    I can’t stand listening to him.hes trying the Michael o muirahurtaigh gig of describing players by their clubs and birthplace but he can’t pull it off and it stinks of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Marty is the quintessential man's man.

Men want to be him, women want to be with him.

Marty is the quintessential man's man.

Men want to be him, women want to be with him.
    A lot of mental illness in Ireland .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Des looks and sounds like he's about to fall asleep. Terrible presenter.

Am I the only one who found cahill quite prickly on radio, didn't appear to have much patience with whoever was presenting the show he had a sports round up segment on

I didn't hear or see that but I think I have a good idea of what you're talking about. A bit like: " This is why we love this sport. This is what being Irish is all about Christy Ring! Nicky Rackard! This is part of who we are. What a game!' This is Healy Rae territory.
    Give us a break. Who is he speaking for? Embarrassing. Mortyfing.

It'd be like seeing Jedward at a public event. Nobody has any real respect for him; people would just think it a laugh to get a picture with him.

People slate the GAA for a lot of things, but the kind of 'mad rural bastard' craic around figures like Marty Morrissey and Rory's Stories is, to me, by far the grimmest element.

It's more than that. There's a genuine like for the guy from a lot of people. Don't understand it myself - but it's more than just a bit of "celeb" spotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Marty plays the game like a pro, he plays up to his image but is too self-aware to never go full retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

What i know of Des I'm indifferent.

But Marty... nice fella I'm sure, and seems a competent presenter when not doing the cranberries thing (very very cringey) but this thing about him being a lothario to the female GAA heads. Women who wouldn't look at him if he weren't a gaa journo. Ah here, that's just embarrassing, simpleton bogger carry-on.
    Elvis when he was alive , nobody wanted to know him.
    Huh? :confused:
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm usually thankful when I see one of these fellas.

It's one less show Kathryn Thomas is doing.
    I'd love to know what's so awful about her.

• Advertisement

But Marty... nice fella I'm sure, and seems a competent presenter when not doing the cranberries thing (very very cringey) but this thing about him being a lothario to the female GAA heads. Women who wouldn't look at him if he weren't a gaa journo. Ah here, that's just embarrassing, simpleton bogger carry-on.

The Marty thing is bizarre - I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it happening in front of me :p

As for Kathryn Thomas - I’ve heard some not so flattering stories from people who’ve met her professionally over the years. Seems to have improved in recent times - but some of the early accounts .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I remember someone posted a photo of him on boards.ie once with his apparent hot young girlfriend as an example of the weemen you can get if you’re high profile. Except she wasn’t his girlfriend, just some randomer.

I remember someone posted a photo of him on boards.ie once with his apparent hot young girlfriend as an example of the weemen you can get if you’re high profile. Except she wasn’t his girlfriend, just some randomer.
    Nice of Marty to oblige ransomers ( sorry randomers , that was spell check )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mariaalice wrote: »
    They are inoffensive and entertaining grand for light TV...

That's grand if you're Derek Mooney, but Cahill in particular is meant to be a sports journalist. Bends over backwards to be pals with everyone and never mutters anything approaching an actual opinion.

Only in Montrose could you not only survive being so utterly beige, you'll thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Provincial? What does this mean here? Inward looking? How is he inward looking out of curiosity? What examples can you give?
    What is “a typical GAA type”? Bernard Brogan? Aidan O Shea? Kian Lynch?
    Most if not all “typical GAA types” these days are well educated so not sure what you’re getting at?
    Seems to me you just want to have a good sneer at people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

grenadino wrote: »
    Provincial? What does this mean here? Inward looking? How is he inward looking out of curiosity? What examples can you give?
    What is “a typical GAA type”? Bernard Brogan? Aidan O Shea? Kian Lynch?
    Most if not all “typical GAA types” these days are well educated so not sure what you’re getting at?
    Seems to me you just want to have a good sneer at people...

Ah man up.

Just as there is with Soccer and Rugby, there's a type (or stereotype) of fan, player and journo you'd associate with each particular sport. You can make broad and sweeping generalisations about who they are and what sort of lives they lead and you'd be on the money a great deal of the time.

Eh? There's probably a joke here I'm not getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

bobbyss wrote:

Can I ask what other type one might be if not a typical GAA type?

There seems to be this perception coming from rte that Marty is a big hit with the ladies; 'party with Marty' etc bull.
    Personally I think he has a great face for radio and he's a dreadful tv commentator.

Eh? There's probably a joke here I'm not getting.

Well if it has to be explained......

• Advertisement
Advertisement