Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME question

Options
  • 07-06-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am due to start my PmE placement in UCD in August but I have not been able to acquire a school placement so far. I was just wondering if I would have to apply again next year if I fail to acquire one. Just asking to save myself the worry because I’m starting to panic a little

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

TheDonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

I am due to start my PmE placement in UCD in August but I have not been able to acquire a school placement so far. I was just wondering if I would have to apply again next year if I fail to acquire one. Just asking to save myself the worry because I’m starting to panic a little

You'll find it difficult at this time of the year to get placement. Make contact with a few schools late August/early September before the PME. I wouldn't be deferring over placement...you'll need that for your pension- inform UCD of your difficulties and I'm sure they will be able to help you. I only got my placement sorted the day before my own dip so don't worry, enjoy the summer and best of luck in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

What general area are you looking? I might have a school you could try. Many schools like UCD because you can commit to up to half a timetable for the year.
    The place I did my Hdip in had 8 UCD students teaching a half timetable for the year. They saved a bucket and we got lots of experience, in fairness they gave us loads of paid sub work too.

BTW, colleges are obliged to find you somewhere if you can't get a school yourself, not many people know this. In saying that, the college will fob you off until as late as possible.

Keep trying though, the Principals will be around for the next 3 weeks but once the exams are over they'll be empty.

What general area are you looking? I might have a school you could try. Many schools like UCD because you can commit to up to half a timetable for the year.
    The place I did my Hdip in had 8 UCD students teaching a half timetable for the year. They saved a bucket and we got lots of experience, in fairness they gave us loads of paid sub work too.

BTW, colleges are obliged to find you somewhere if you can't get a school yourself, not many people know this. In saying that, the college will fob you off until as late as possible.

Keep trying though, the Principals will be around for the next 3 weeks but once the exams are over they'll be empty.

But the next three weeks are busy for principal's dealing with exams and probably second RPT interviews/timetables etc. I would hold off until beginning of next academic year otherwise you will get a lot of rejection and may not even get past the secretary. There is plenty of time yet. Yes it would be great to be sorted but you have to pick your times with principals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Op here is something you could try put up a post through voiceforteachers on Facebook saying you are a PME student looking for a school in the Dublin area. Interested schools/ principals could then contact you via voiceforteachers , I think it would be well worth trying anyway. Getting the school sorted sooner rather than later will put your mind at ease. Good luck with it all, keep trying for a school till you get one and as another poster said surely UCD are obliged to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

But the next three weeks are busy for principal's dealing with exams and probably second RPT interviews/timetables etc. I would hold off until beginning of next academic year otherwise you will get a lot of rejection and may not even get past the secretary. There is plenty of time yet. Yes it would be great to be sorted but you have to pick your times with principals.

For UCD (if it's still the same) they need to be in situ the beginning of next academic year, it's not in blocks like other colleges. Pretty much all the schools Principals around the southside and some on northside should know this.

Principals are getting a great deal from UCD students , up to half a timetable for free for the year.

• Advertisement

For UCD (if it's still the same) they need to be in situ the beginning of next academic year, it's not in blocks like other colleges. Pretty much all the schools Principals around the southside and some on northside should know this.

Principals are getting a fgreat deal from UCD students , up to half a timetable for free for the year.

Wasn't aware of that .... can see why the OP wanted to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Contact your placement officer in UCD. They will be able to advise you, and may even have schools that you can contact. I'm going into the first year PME in Maynooth, I have my placement sorted but there was an email sent out a few days ago saying not to panic if you haven't got anything sorted just yet as it can be early August before some students secure theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheDonkey

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate the answers.

Advertisement