Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Upgrade

• 07-06-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I used to do a lot of business travel so purchased a 12" Lenovo X1 a few years ago. The laptop itself is still flying along but I've a new role which is mostly home office based so I'd like to invest in a new monitor to pair with the X1.

I'd like the new monitor to be front and centre of my desk as the main monitor with the X1 to one side and it's screen used as a secondary monitor to monitor email etc.

My work use is exclusively MS Office products (Spreadsheets, Word Doc's, PowerPoint etc) and it'll also be used for watching video content such as online training, Skype / WebEx and also some leisure eg Netflix / IPTV but no gaming.

I've a budget of circa €225 and have identified the following options on Amazon.co.uk

AOC Q2778Vqe 27" Widescreen TN LED Black Monitor (2560x1440/1ms/VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/DP) - looks like a good value 27" QHD monitor but I'm not mad about the relatively big bezel and it's not height adjustable.

V7 Videoseven L27HAS2K-2E Monitor - not a brand I'm familiar with but that doesn't worry me too much. It's also a 27 inch QHD and I like the fact it has built in speakers and is height adjustable but I'm not familiar with the ADS technology Vs TN or IPS.

ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD 32-inch Full HD Frameless IPS monitor - This 32 inch QHD is a bit of a monster relative to the others. It doesn't have built in speakers and isn't height adjustable but perhaps they are good trade off's in exchange for more screen for my buck?

I'll be putting my new monitor on a built in home desk which is 1,200mm wide and 620mm deep with the back of the desk being a wall so I'd like the stand to be as neat as possible and for the screen to be as close to the wall as possible so it doesn't hog the limited desk space as I still need room for a keyboard and mouse plus working papers and files etc on the desk.

I've only linked to Amazon as I'm familiar with and trust them but happy to buy local or elsewhere online if there's better value to be had.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AOC Q3279VWFD8, 31.5"
    31.5" 1440p 75Hz, relatively colour-accurate at 98% (sRGB) / 84% (Adobe RGB), 64.24kWh typical annual power consumption.

Downsides: stand isn't adjustable & no VESA mounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Acer H277HUsmipuz 27 Inch WQHD Monitor, Silver (IPS Panel, 4 ms, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, USB Hub)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BSIL4WU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IiR-CbJRN4A3K

What about this? Slightly over budget at £230 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated.

I'll look at the suggestions and make a decision over the weekend.

One quick question regarding size. Is a 32" screen too big or should I concentrate on getting the best 27" possible for my budget?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Acer H277HUsmipuz 27 Inch WQHD Monitor, Silver (IPS Panel, 4 ms, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, USB Hub)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BSIL4WU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IiR-CbJRN4A3K

What about this? Slightly over budget at £230 though.

Hi TitanGerm, I went with your suggestion of the 27" Acer.

Having looked at a couple of 27" Vs 32" QHD articles it seemed clear that QHD is at it's optimum on a 27" whereas it's a bit stretched on a 32" plus there were a good few comments that a 32" screen is just too big to sit in front of as you can't take it all in without constantly flicking your eyes left and right.

Thanks for the steer and thanks to Skerries and K.O.Kiki also.

• Advertisement

Wow!!

Received the Acer 27" monitor and installed it this morning and it's like I've had some sort of laser eye surgery :-)

Perfect size screen (any bigger would indeed be too big for the size of my desk etc) and what clarity and colour!! I'm really taken aback. The colours are so vibrant and sharp.

USB 3.1 reversible type C connector was a great surprise as it means the one cable can be used to both connect the monitor and power my Lenovo Laptop thus enabling me to keep my laptop charger in my bag for when I'm travelling. I'd always wondered what that port on my laptop was for.

The built in 2 x 3W speakers are pretty good and more than adequate for listening to music as I work or to video content. If I really want something immersive I'll just use a pair of overhead earphones.

Thanks TitanGerm and Skerries for the recommendation, couldn't be happier.

Advertisement