Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass on driveway

Options
  • 07-06-2019 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Does anyone has any tips to get rid of grass and earth that has overgrown on a driveway.

Attached to picture for a better idea.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stiff brush or powerhose, but be careful that you dont start to erode the surface of the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

GreeBo wrote: »
    Stiff brush or powerhose, but be careful that you dont start to erode the surface of the driveway.

Cheers, was hoping there might have been an easier way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You could spray with roundup to stop it growing too but the dead soil will still need to be power washed or brushed off after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Tails142 wrote: »
    You could spray with roundup to stop it growing too but the dead soil will still need to be power washed or brushed off after.

Cheers, would rather stay away from roundup, too many kids and pets in the estate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Cheers, was hoping there might have been an easier way:D

Wheel spin.

There's no easy way to clean growth from a driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Wheel spin.

There's no easy way to clean growth from a driveway.

Power hos will lift it as easy as hoovering a carpet...its what else its going to take up.

I had an old tarmac driveway (a strip in the driveway actually) that got very mossy, I was a bit too aggressive with the hose and dug a little hole in the tarmac :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

GreeBo wrote: »
    Power hos will lift it as easy as hoovering a carpet...its what else its going to take up.

I had an old tarmac driveway (a strip in the driveway actually) that got very mossy, I was a bit too aggressive with the hose and dug a little hole in the tarmac :eek:

Was about to say. If it’s tarmac like it looks I wouldn’t power hose. Stiff brush and elbow grease

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You need to spray it with either round up or Gallup to kill it.give it a fortnight to wither and power wash the whole lot then and gather the dirt in a wheelie bin.
    Gallup is perfectly safe for kids and pets once they stay off the treated area for an hour after application so it fully dries in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You need to spray it with either round up or Gallup to kill it.give it a fortnight to wither and power wash the whole lot then and gather the dirt in a wheelie bin.
    Gallup is perfectly safe for kids and pets once they stay off the treated area for an hour after application so it fully dries in.

Gallup amd roundup have the same active ingredient, glyphosate.

But your right, used correctly it’s perfectly safe for animals and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

_Brian wrote: »
    Gallup amd roundup have the same active ingredient, glyphosate.

But your right, used correctly it’s perfectly safe for animals and kids.

True and Gallup is half the price.id highly recommend it.5 liters of Gallup for 34 euro and mixed properly that would spray an awful lot of driveways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Will Roundup/Gallup cause a permanent stain?

Roundup stains cobblelock - I know from experience.

PathClear will kill weeds, but won't stain.

Slasher wrote: »
    Will Roundup/Gallup cause a permanent stain?

Roundup stains cobblelock - I know from experience.

PathClear will kill weeds, but won't stain.

I’ve never seen it stain anything, definitely not tarmac or concrete anyway. Mixed correctly I’d be surprised.

I think for op a light spray is the best option.
    It will kill the grass so releasing the grip tie roots have on the tarmac.

The moss can be killed with jeys fluid or washing powder.

Then a careful power wash will tidy everything up nicely.

Ongoing weeding and sweeping will negate the need for any more big jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A nylon line strimmer will sort it out but dress up and expect to eat at least a mouthful of dirt and grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

I'd recommend spraying too then pulling the weeds, I did this on a gravel drive and pulled all the dead weeds after 2-4 weeks (100m long drive) Feb or Mar ideally before they really take over. Once you pull out all the roots n soil they're attached to.
    Once the initial heavy work is done, pick any new weeds weekly, as you take out or in the wheelie bins!

Strimming them alone isn't going to get rid of them only thicken them for next year. (Post above means strimming after spraying, I presume)

Best of luck OP and let us know how you got on.

PS try varying the patch of ground you drive on , our drive is 5m wide, so keep left or right to prevent weeds growing near the edges or middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've strimmed areas like that and it does permanently get rid of the weeds assuming there is a good depth of tarmac.

What I guess the OP failed to show was the before pictures which probably had soil out over the tarmac and the grass trying to get a grip on the tarmac while also growing from the soil. Now the grass is cut off from the soil a nylon line strimmer will clear off whats left, the line can be kept almost parallel to the tarmac so it doesn't dig too much of it out. Still a filthy job that will also send a few stones flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

Homemade weedkiller if you don't want to use roundup or equivalent.

4 litres cheapo white vinegar (Musgraves sell it in 5 litre containers)
    1 large mug of table salt (Lidl)
    Good squirt of washing up liquid

Mix together and spray all over area. Be careful about overspray, it will kill whatever it touches. It really works, I've used it myself. After 3-4 days the grass will be withered, brown and dead. You still have to get it off some way though!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

CiboC wrote: »
    Homemade weedkiller if you don't want to use roundup or equivalent.

4 litres cheapo white vinegar (Musgraves sell it in 5 litre containers)
    1 large mug of table salt (Lidl)
    Good squirt of washing up liquid

Mix together and spray all over area. Be careful about overspray, it will kill whatever it touches. It really works, I've used it myself. After 3-4 days the grass will be withered, brown and dead. You still have to get it off some way though!

I’d rather use glyphosate! That is some mix.

Advertisement