Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TransAtlantic Way 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

thelawman wrote: »
    not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but in case anyone wants to keep an eye on riders progress,

http://trackleaders.com/transatlantic19

https://www.transatlanticway.com/

Just saw Mark Moroney, 69 is taking part.

He rode PBP years ago, maybe in the 1980s. I met him 4 years ago when he was struggling to qualify for PBP. He had just retired and wanted another go.

Now his riding this thing. That just made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

He rode PBP years ago, maybe in the 1980s. I met him 4 years ago when he was struggling to qualify for PBP. He had just retired and wanted another go.

He’s no slouch either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/trans-america-bike-race-2019

Transam is also ongoing. Abdullah Zeinab is leading it, he won the ‘unofficial indipac’ last year. His strava is worth a look the numbers are mental. 601km day 1 and 556km on day 2, >10,000 elevation gain over the 2 days. Long event too even for ultracycling, he’s not holding back hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

jive wrote: »

Transam is also ongoing. Abdullah Zeinab is leading it, he won the ‘unofficial indipac’ last year. His strava is worth a look the numbers are mental. 601km day 1 and 556km on day 2, >10,000 elevation gain over the 2 days. Long event too even for ultracycling, he’s not holding back hahah

Abdullah is 200miles in front, riding up to 20 hours a day. His YouTube channel is hilarious too

jive wrote: »

And RAAM is starting 11th - at least the Transatlantic way will be nearly over by then!

• Advertisement

Abdullah is 200miles in front, riding up to 20 hours a day. His YouTube channel is hilarious too

Yeh the indipac doc he did the year before racing it was really good too

https://youtu.be/G5b9or1rGp8 For anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I did a lot of driving around Donegal yesterday and saw a lot of cyclists with bags, reflective gear etc.... just dawned on me that they were competitors in this! :)

Some according to the tracker are far from Donegal at the minute with over 1200km done :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I think it's no longer a ' race '.

Even when it was officially termed as such, it was only competitive among the riders at the front.

Not sure what its called now. Not a brevet, nor a race...seems to be morphing into something new. The website calls it a bike ride, in the absence of a classification.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I think it's no longer a ' race '.

Even when it was officially termed as such, it was only competitive among the riders at the front.

Not sure what its called now. Not a brevet, nor a race...seems to be morphing into something new. The website calls it a bike ride, in the absence of a classification.

Call it whatever you will - it ends up the same thing. Ultra racing, and especially the un-supported type, is getting a bad rap because of some high profile casualties. That might be part of the reason for not formally calling it a ‘race’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not sure id want to ride gleniff horseshoe after 1300 km and then have another 1000km to go

plenty of them through donegal town today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I rode with him for part of PBP 2015. He got Shermers Neck during the return leg and still managed to finish.

During the PBP qualifiers, he struggled having been bitten by a dog during a club race. I had never seen a bite like it..looked more like a shark bite.

He's one tough cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

not sure id want to ride gleniff horseshoe after 1300 km and then have another 1000km to go

plenty of them through donegal town today

Could be worse - could be sent up Truskmore while cycling through Gleniff :D

Btw Gleniff is one of my favourite spots for cycling in Ireland - pure magic

Leader (or top 2 anyway, top 2 were pretty close) got hit by a hire car in dingle, he’s alright but the bike is not so had to scratch. So unlucky

Ah thats rough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Just discovered a neighbor (who I didn’t know was a cyclist!) is doing this event -first I heard of it.
    I thought initially it was the RAI but this seems a bit more attainable for mere mortals ( but a fair challenge nonetheless). Kudos to all doing it. Good that participants can pick & choose between the long & short version as they go along, or so it seems from the website.

Leader had to pull out with just 73km to go due to Shermer’s neck. The event hasn’t been kind to the leaders this year!

Had to ask doctor Google what that was. Jesus :eek:

Advertisement