Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Kimsang wrote: »
    I don't know why you bring this up, but in real terms there are 1.8billion adherents to islam. In comparison there are 15million jews worldwide.

I myself am an atheist, but I always admired the jewish appreciation of eduacation. Maybe that could explain why they have proportionally far more nobel prizes than anyone else, or I guess you could claim conspiracy...

"Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals, of whom at least 20% were Jews, although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population."

On the first page of the thread people began blaming the attack on muslims for no reason, and a few posts later people were arguing about when beating up a gay person is or isn't homophobic and how gay people are like a privileged, protected species now. It's bizarre.

What would the conspiracy be, though? A bunch of Jewish people making sure other Jewish people get medals? In Sweden? Oy vey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You'd think a 25 page (on mobile) thread on an assault would mostly be about comoassion for the victims or condemnation of the perpetrators, but no. It was driven first by people assuming the scumbags were black or muslim (maybe they are, maybe they aren't) and now by whataboutery. There probably are other victims worse off this weekend, but the incessant questioning of why this made news, rather than sympathy being expressed for the victims, is disturbing.

This and the Aoife Dooley thread have been depressing and illuminating in equal measure.

I really hope the people lacking in compassion on these threads never find themselves in a situation where compassion from others would be welcome. The staggering inability to empathise of some is wearying. And those playing devil’s advocate are worse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

You'd think a 25 page (on mobile) thread on an assault would mostly be about comoassion for the victims or condemnation of the perpetrators, but no. It was driven first by people assuming the scumbags were black or muslim (maybe they are, maybe they aren't) and now by whataboutery. There probably are other victims worse off this weekend, but the incessant questioning of why this made news, rather than sympathy being expressed for the victims, is disturbing.

You forgot to wrap <virtue signal>></virtue signal>

Do you not care one bit that the OP used it as an opportunity to politicize a feminist talking point and to attack men?
    Why do some men get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

whereas back in reality, what's actually disturbing is there's far worse crimes committed everyday, yet where is the sympathy and outcry for these victims and the international headlines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Tribades should naught be assaulted. OXO.

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    whereas back in reality, what's actually disturbing is there's far worse crimes committed everyday, yet where is the sympathy and outcry for these victims and the international headlines ?

It’s almost as if people can care about more than one thing at once. What, we can’t feel sad at somebody being, say, mugged but relatively uninjured because somebody else was murdered? I think this story gained traction because of the visceral photo accompanying it. The power of photography, confronting people with the reality of so-called minor crimes. Everyone knows murder is heinous. The crime on these women would be much easier to brush off without photographic evidence despite being a potentially very traumatic experience with future consequences. But ‘whatabout’, amiright?

I know a man who suffered an unprovoked assault which was similar in severity a few years ago. He is still suffering because of it today with a niggling injury and psychological effects. I’m bloody glad to see an assault like this highlighted. And I’d be as horrified if it was an assaulted man in the news reports. I know this because I felt horrified when I heard about that man’s assault.

But yeah because of murders and rapes, why give a fück about assaults, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

It’s almost as if people can care about more than one thing at once. What, we can’t feel sad at somebody being, say, mugged but relatively uninjured because somebody else was murdered? I think this story gained traction because of the visceral photo accompanying it. The power of photography, confronting people with the reality of so-called minor crimes. Everyone knows murder is heinous. The crime on these women would be much easier to brush off without photographic evidence despite being a potentially very traumatic experience with future consequences. But ‘whatabout’, amiright?

I know a man who suffered an unprovoked assault which was similar in severity a few years ago. He is still suffering because of it today with a niggling injury and psychological effects. I’m bloody glad to see an assault like this highlighted. And I’d be as horrified if it was an assaulted man in the news reports. I know this because I felt horrified when I heard about that man’s assault.

why are some victims more important than others ?

Its almost as though some people think people care only if they say they care. For an attack like this; it goes without saying that people's hearts go out to the victims, and i'm sure anyone in this thread would help in anyway possible if they saw something taking place. But expressing condolences on a message board is not one bit of help to anyone, except the person expressing the virtue signal or the people that 'like' or 'thank'.

The sentiment from the 'other side' is that there isn't enough time in the day to express condolences about such stories, and instead it would be better served finding out details and preventing future attacks. Trends are appearing in regards to crime, and we all need to wake up and realize this. These are worrying times.

There is a trend for the media to report stories like this because they are easily politicized. Person was attacked BECAUSE of their (insert identity). When in fact any use of identity language involved in an attack, it immediately becomes BECAUSE. Because is nearly impossible to prove but everyone jumps on the because bandwagon so easily.

Person was attacked because they are gay
    Person was attacked because they are black
    etc...

Its worrying the things we are actually conflating with hate crimes. it demeans the true nature of hate crimes like the holocaust or the lynchings in the American Deep South.

The inclusion of hateful language in an attack(which comes in some form in nearly every attack of this nature) should not automatically mean the attack was BECAUSE of that identity that was mocked.
    If a man was attacked; which according to any government statistics is way more probably than if you were a woman, the attackers might make fun of his funny hair, or his eye brows, or he might be skinny or whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean the attack was because of this certain characteristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

SJWs out in force tonight.

Have only made it as far as your comment so far. The amount of absolute creeps on this thread is shocking. Two women going out to what should be a nice night in Camden Town subjected to this atrocious sh*t. Absolutely vile. Not only does it ruin their night, it potentially ruins any future nights out. The fear of being victimised simply because of who you are isn't gonna be far from their minds next time they decide to catch a bus to a movie or to dinner.... normal things that everyone does.

The fact that they were bashed because they didn't perform is misogynistic. I usually cringe at that word but it's exactly what happened here. Beaten because they wouldn't perform. The f*cking neck of those scumbags.

Anyone making light of it should be ashamed. Anyone seeking to blame Muslims or take the heat off should get their f*cking heads checked. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You forgot to wrap <virtue signal>></virtue signal>

Do you not care one bit that the OP used it as an opportunity to politicize a feminist talking point and to attack men?

Some men do get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing though? Some men also get upset, angry and offended when a woman says no to their demands. In this case both of these things seem to have been the issue. See word "some" there? It means not all. What's so controversial about that?

Yes, sometimes women commit violent crimes but the vast majority are men. And yes, men are more likely to be assaulted - by another man. Maybe you'd be better trying to look into the causes of such violence, rather than raging against feminists?

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Some men do get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing though? Some men also get upset, angry and offended when a woman says no to their demands. In this case both of these things seem to have been the issue. See word "some" there? It means not all. What's so controversial about that?

Yes, sometimes women commit violent crimes but the vast majority are men. And yes, men are more likely to be assaulted - by another man. Maybe you'd be better trying to look into the causes of such violence, rather than raging against feminists?

If I were to say "Some women are violent nagging whores" I would be called a misogynist. But your misandry goes unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You'd think a 25 page (on mobile) thread on an assault would mostly be about compassion for the victims or condemnation of the perpetrators, but no.

It's now somehow devolved into Islam numbers vs Jewish numbers. I wish I was joking. What the actual fuck!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If I were to say "Some women are violent nagging whores" I would be called a misogynist. But your misandry goes unchecked.

I used no slurs or insults when talking about men who commit violent crimes (unless you think the phrase "some men" is terribly insulting and man hating). You did in that sentence. So, not the same thing at all. You could just as easily have said "some women are violent and nag their partners" and you wouldn't be accused of misogyny. But you know that of course..

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I used no slurs or insults when talking about men who commit violent crimes. You did in that sentence. So, not the same thing at all. You could just as easily have said "some women are violent and nag their partners" and you wouldn't be accused of misogyny. But you know that of course..

I'm sorry but labeling at entire group as 'offended that gay people exist' is worse than any remark about how sexually active a person is or not. That is en par with actual Nazis that were offended that gay people exist. Its basically saying why are some men as bad as nazis.

Why are some women nagging, obsessive, compulsive and tiresome?
    Why do some women hate jews?
    Why do some women laugh when other women cut off their husbands genitals?
    Why do some women restrict access to the children of their father out of spite?Do you see any threads of this nature going up, and how long do you think they would last?

I hope you can see why using the word some is not a magical fix all when stereotyping an entire gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Complete scumbag thing to do. Glad they caught the attackers.

Anteayer wrote: »
    Two women were beaten up on a bus and sexually assaulted while basically minding their own business and you've somehow turned this into some weird conspiracy theory about LGBT propaganda?!

That's an unbelievably twisted comment to make.

There is nothing about them being sexually assaulted. Also we have no idea whether they were minding their own business or not, or whether they could have initiated contact, who knows???

If you got off your high horse you might realize the sentiment being made is how the media and we react to stories like this. You indeed prove his 2) point you have already taken it as gospel that they were minding their own business.

I guess it is to be expected in our current climate that all women be believed.

I believe this polarizing topic is what makes the Jussie Smollett case so interesting to so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

There is nothing about them being sexually assaulted. Also we have no idea whether they were minding their own business or not, or whether they could have initiated contact, who knows???

If you got off your high horse you might realize the sentiment being made is how the media and we react to stories like this. You indeed prove his 2) point you have already taken it as gospel that they were minding their own business.

I guess it is to be expected in our current climate that all women be believed.

I believe this polarizing topic is what makes the Jussie Smollett case so interesting to so many people.

Yup could well be one of those women made a passing comment or smart remark at a bunch of teenagers and got what they deserved.....twat.

Its almost as though some people think people care only if they say they care. For an attack like this; it goes without saying that people's hearts go out to the victims, and i'm sure anyone in this thread would help in anyway possible if they saw something taking place. But expressing condolences on a message board is not one bit of help to anyone, except the person expressing the virtue signal or the people that 'like' or 'thank'.

The sentiment from the 'other side' is that there isn't enough time in the day to express condolences about such stories, and instead it would be better served finding out details and preventing future attacks. Trends are appearing in regards to crime, and we all need to wake up and realize this. These are worrying times.

There is a trend for the media to report stories like this because they are easily politicized. Person was attacked BECAUSE of their (insert identity). When in fact any use of identity language involved in an attack, it immediately becomes BECAUSE. Because is nearly impossible to prove but everyone jumps on the because bandwagon so easily.

Person was attacked because they are gay
    Person was attacked because they are black
    etc...

Its worrying the things we are actually conflating with hate crimes. it demeans the true nature of hate crimes like the holocaust or the lynchings in the American Deep South.

The inclusion of hateful language in an attack(which comes in some form in nearly every attack of this nature) should not automatically mean the attack was BECAUSE of that identity that was mocked.
    If a man was attacked; which according to any government statistics is way more probably than if you were a woman, the attackers might make fun of his funny hair, or his eye brows, or he might be skinny or whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean the attack was because of this certain characteristic.

If that sentence was any more tortured, it would need its own news report. O_o The intent was obviously partially mimic the first sentence of my post but doing so inflicted numerous owies on the English language.

Heckler wrote: »
    Yup could well be one of those women made a passing comment or smart remark at a bunch of teenagers and got what they deserved.....twat.

How dare you twist my words in such a manner. Also to be expected in our current climate of morons that can't pay attention to things for longer than 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Wow! This is really plumbing the depths.

I think it's time to just give up on After Hours. It seems to be headed for the same cesspool as YouTube comments and aspects of Twitter.

No longer posting on this forum.

• Advertisement

How dare you twist my words in such a manner. Also to be expected in our current climate of morons that can't pay attention to things for longer than 30 seconds.

How dare I ? What do you want ? Duelling pistols at dawn ? I dare because you're full of ****e.

How dare I ? What do you want ? Duelling pistols at dawn ? I dare because you're full of ****e.

You seem not only to be rude, but lacking the intelligence to understand nuance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
    If that sentence was any more tortured, it would needs its own news report. O_o The intent was obviously partially mimic the first sentence of my post but doing so inflicted numerous owies on the English language.

Bit of that going on.

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Bit of that going on.

It was funny when breakfasts said it, but your ad hominem attacks are coming across as spiteful, ill -considered, ill-informed and moronic.

It was funny when breakfasts said it, but your ad hominem attacks are coming across as spiteful, ill -considered, ill-informed and moronic.

Sorry Kimsang. I feel bad now. I apologise. I'm really, really sorry. Last thing I want to do is antagonise anyone on the internet. Especially a Boards member. Please accept my heartfelt apology. The internet is full of hateful people trying to put others and their opinions down. You have shown me the light. Disconnecting my internets now and going to live a better life. Hugs and kisses Kimsang. Thank you for making me realise my spiteful ways. Bless.

Sorry Kimsang. I feel bad now. I apologise. I'm really, really sorry. Last thing I want to do is antagonise anyone on the internet. Especially a Boards member. Please accept my heartfelt apology. The internet is full of hateful people trying to put others and their opinions down. You have shown me the light. Disconnecting my internets now and going to live a better life. Hugs and kisses Kimsang. Thank you for making me realise my spiteful ways. Bless.

Enter a discussion by putting words into my mouth, proceed to attack me with unoriginal ad hominems, then apologize in a sarcastic tone. You need your head checked. You are what is wrong with society.

Enter a discussion by putting words into my mouth, proceed to attack me with unoriginal ad hominems, then apologize in a sarcastic tone. You need your head checked. You are what is wrong with society.

Ok. Will get the head checked ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nobelium wrote: »
    why are some victims more important than others ?

The thing is, I suspect if this attack was by a group you didn't like, you would be totally up in arms... I do think it's newsworthy btw, to still have homophobic attacks being perpetrated in the year 2019 is a pretty horrendous thing and it highlights that the LGBTQ community still unfortunately have reasons to be fearful.

batgoat wrote: »
    The thing is, I suspect if this attack was by a group you didn't like, you would be totally up in arms... I do think it's newsworthy btw, to still have homophobic attacks being perpetrated in the year 2019 is a pretty horrendous thing and it highlights that the LGBTQ community still unfortunately have reasons to be fearful.

Um...it was by a group that noone likes...A teenage gang of scummers. Your post makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

beejee wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. I think after hours is a pretty decent bellwether of society, an insight into the zeitgeist.

If you need to have a protected class of users, then it isn't reflective of society.

It's fair to say that regardless of opinion the world is changing rapidly, and if a person feels completely outnumbered then it might be time for the simpsons "no, it's the children who are wrong" introspection.

Nah

If after hours was a true reflection of Irish Society Peter Casey would be President and Gemma O'Dogerty would be an MEP

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement