Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Get off your pink high horse.

Haha. That’s a well thought argument and no mistake.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If the two women were straight what would the headline be?

The two women weren’t straight. So this whataboutery is both irreverent and non-existent in this case.

Why are you playing this down? You can call it thuggery and feral all you want but you’re giving these pricks a pass based on a non-existent case. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

If the people saying this attack wasn't unusual could link me up to some previous incidents of two gay women being beaten up on a bus cos they wouldn't put on a lesbian show for a gang of scumbags that'd be great

Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Faugheen wrote: »
    The two women weren’t straight. So this whataboutery is both irreverent and non-existent in this case.

Why are you playing this down? You can call it thuggery and feral all you want but you’re giving these pricks a pass based on a non-existent case. Cop on.

Put it this way in Dublin today there will be girls beating lumps out of each other and if it’s reported to the guards, the guards will do next to nothing about it.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Put it this way in Dublin today there will be girls beating lumps out of each other and if it’s reported to the guards, the guards will do next to nothing about it.

Put it this way, absolutely nothing to do with this case, again. Why are you leaping to whataboutery while giving these fellas a pass?

To attack two women because they wouldn’t put on a lesbian show for you is both homophobic and misogynistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why does a homophobic attack need to be categorised?

Well I'm no expert but I will hazzard a guess that a homophobic attack needs to be categorised as such because it is homophobic,,,same as racist,anti semite.

It's how we gauge on what is happening.A mugging is what is what it is..but if you are attacked because of your race ,colour ..sexuality it's important to keep a record of this.Scum will mug and rob ,but some scum will encourage others to commit hate crimes because of their race/religion or sexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yeh it did. There’s pc gone mad and anti pc gone mad.

This was clearly a homophobic attack. Clearly motivated by the sexuality of the two women.

I wouldn’t say “clearly” motivated. Heard a guy on the radio the other that tried to speak up when he seen 2 scumbags throw a bottle at a fox. They started calling him all manner of homophobic slurs, eventually throwing a bottle at him.
    That was technically a homophobic attack but it wasn’t clearly motivated by his sexuality. If he was black/Asian/ginger/wore glasses etc the insults would have been different. They may have homosexual family or friends, they may be totally fine with homosexuality. Just scum being scum and going straight for the most personal aspect of a persons identity that will cause the most upset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Billy Mays wrote: »
    If the people saying this attack wasn't unusual could link me up to some previous incidents of two gay women being beaten up on a bus cos they wouldn't put on a lesbian show for a gang of scumbags that'd be great

Cheers in advance

far worse violence on public transport isn't unusual, but those victims don't matter ? Anyway we thought homophobic attacks were rampant, not unusual, so why does this one make international news ? Also what evidence have you that that motive was homophobic instead of the usual scumbaggery ? Would it be hetrophobic if a heterosexual couple were are attacked / forced to put on a show ?

Nobelium wrote: »
    far worse violence on public transport isn't unusual, but those victims don't matter ? Anyway we thought homophobic attacks were rampant, not unusual, so why does this one make international news ? Also what evidence have you that that motive was homophobic instead of the usual scumbaggery ? Would it be hetrophobic if a heterosexual couple were are attacked / forced to put on a show ?
    I've already explained why it made the news but you're just sticking your fingers in your ear and going lah lah lah.

Who here has actually said victims of other crimes don't matter? You're just making up stuff as you go along here

Crimes happen every day, some make the news because the circumstances of those crimes are more unusual than others. Similarly kids get bullied every day but every so often a bullying case will make the news due to the nature of the bullying incident. I don't know why you can't get your head around this.

You seem more outraged that this incident made the news rather than the actual incident occuring in the first place

I've already explained why it made the news but you're just sticking your fingers in your ear and going lah lah lah.

Who here has actually said victims of other crimes don't matter? You're just making up stuff as you go along here

Crimes happen every day, some make the news because the circumstances of those crimes are more unusual than others. Similarly kids get bullied every day but every so often a bullying case will make the news due to the nature of the bullying incident. I don't know why you can't get your head around this.

You seem more outraged that this incident made the news rather than the actual incident occuring in the first place

Far worse crimes are committed every day, but don't make international news.

So let me get this right, homophobic attacks are actually so unusual they make international news ?

And why should victims of crime be categorised in hierarchies according to their sexuality or some other identity politics ?

• Advertisement

So let me get this right, homophobic attacks are actually so unusual they make international news ?
    Well no you're not getting it right as I didn't say that

Carry on making stuff up in your head though

So any chance of those links I asked for?

Well no you're not getting it right as I didn't say that

Carry on making stuff up in your head though

So any chance of those links I asked for?

You won’t get them. Nobelium excuses hateful speech/actions by making things up and will keep saying the same things over and over again when it’s evident they haven’t a clue what they’re talking about.

Better off not responding to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

has it been established with certainty that this attack was motivated by these boys fear and hatred for homosexuals rather than the robbery which they also committed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

fryup wrote: »
    spit & image of her it must be said

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

vriesmays wrote: »
    Jennifer Connolly is now gay.

Is there a video of that doing the rounds?

has it been established with certainty that this attack was motivated by these boys fear and hatred for homosexuals rather than the robbery which they also committed?

Well there has beeen no trial yet but the British believe they have enough to charge them.

Don't take this personally but it annoys the fok out of me when 18yr olds are described as "Boys"

elli21 wrote: »
    Well there has beeen no trial yet but the British believe they have enough to charge them.

Don't take this personally but it annoys the fok out of me when 18yr olds are described as "Boys"
    i dont take it personally, just quoting the indo. the brits are very trigger happy on hate crimes these days.

i can picture a scenario in which a lad and his GF are on the bus and a group of scrotes sit around them saying "ah go on give her a smooch there" and generally harassing the couple culminating in them pouncing on them giving them a flurry of digs and grabbing the girl's bag and the lad's phone. Not headline news.

i can picture a scenario in which a lad and his GF are on the bus and a group of scrotes sit around them saying "ah go on give her a smooch there" and generally harassing the couple culminating in them pouncing on them giving them a flurry of digs and grabbing the girl's bag and the lad's phone. Not headline news.

apparently this would make international news if it happened . . . not

Faugheen wrote: »
    You won’t get them. Nobelium excuses hateful speech/actions by making things up and will keep saying the same things over and over again when it’s evident they haven’t a clue what they’re talking about.

Better off not responding to them.

I don't excuse any attack or violence, all along I've merely been asking why should victims of crime be categorised into hierarchies according to their sexuality or some other identity politics ? And getting no rational answers. I know you would prefer if we lived in world where questioning anything that doesn't suit certain politics is not allowed, but we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

elli21 wrote: »

Me too, if they're female.

i dont take it personally, just quoting the indo. the brits are very trigger happy on hate crimes these days.

What is trigger happy about this Homophic attack.
    Apart from just quoting the Indo do you agree that an 18yr old is a man not a boy
    I would be interested to hear your opinion....not the Indo's

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

They need to go to prison for this. Judge needs to set an example. Or youth detention and prison after. Whatever way it works over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'd say it made headline news because two lesbians should be able to go about their business without having to put on a sex show for scumbags. Jesus why shouldn't it be in the news. Why does it offend people that this is being reported.

I'd say it made headline news because two lesbians should be able to go about their business without having to put on a sex show for scumbags. Jesus why shouldn't it be in the news. Why does it offend people that this is being reported.

It doesn't. We're asking why heterosexual victims are less important, and a similar crime against a heterosexual couple would never make the international news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why does a homophobic attack need to be categorised?

Is it not better to have as much information as possible so as to see patterns should they develop ? Sometimes details are irrelevant, other times they matter greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I wouldn’t say “clearly” motivated. Heard a guy on the radio the other that tried to speak up when he seen 2 scumbags throw a bottle at a fox. They started calling him all manner of homophobic slurs, eventually throwing a bottle at him.
    That was technically a homophobic attack but it wasn’t clearly motivated by his sexuality. If he was black/Asian/ginger/wore glasses etc the insults would have been different. They may have homosexual family or friends, they may be totally fine with homosexuality. Just scum being scum and going straight for the most personal aspect of a persons identity that will cause the most upset.

If they were totally fine with homosexuality, why would they use it as an insult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Shouldn’t you welcome hate crime legislation then that actually does something about these guys?

It doesn't. We're asking why heterosexual victims are less important, and a similar crime against a heterosexual couple would never make the international news.

Who said Hetrosexuals are less important?I'm hetrosexual.chances are that I am more likely to be attacked if I 'm gay..I can walk hand in hand with my husband down the street ..no problem.Now if I was gay man and had a husband ..Let's be honest there is no chance we would be walking hand in had down the street

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    If they were totally fine with homosexuality, why would they use it as an insult?

like all scumbags they will use anything they see as an insult, it doesn't follow that it's a specific motive.

Advertisement