Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice Vs Law Plus?

• 07-06-2019 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking to gauge some advice on the above 2 courses in UL?

Law Plus is an LLB while the Criminal Justice programmes is a BA.

Anyone offer any other reasons to choose one over the other?
    Of particular interest to me is the option with Criminal Justice for Mature students to skip Co-op and take extra modules during that time if preferred.

Any other pro/cons?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Gonna be a bit biased as I just finished Law Plus degree this year..

Well Criminal Justice is a much more general degree, have a look at the mandatory modules and just check if you would be interested in them all.. Think they have politics modules??
    If your interested in becoming a solicitor or barrister then the Law Plus degree would be more suitable.. To become a barrister you must have an 'approved' law degree so means you have to do certain modules or to become a solicitor you have to sit entrances exams (FE1s) which will be the same subjects as the mandatory modules in Law Plus.
    From what I understand Criminal Justice might be more suitable if taking an academic route or becoming someone involved in the justice system eg probation office, Garda etc. It is a relatively new course so I would imagine there is teething issues and may be of concern to some employers as well.
    I know matures in the Law Plus had the option of taking time off during the co-op period or else doing Erasmus instead (Queens in Belfast being a good option for law student)
    Law modules are tough and hard to get use to so if not sure about commitment to law, might be handier to get a broad range of subjects??
    Up to your own preferences really but willing to answer any questions about Law Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Gonna be a bit biased as I just finished Law Plus degree this year..

Only seeing your reply now.
    Thank you for taking the time, it is exactly what I was after.

I interviewed for both courses, Law Plus was originally my 1st choice but after the interviews I changed my 1st choice.

The interviewer for the law plus programme was dour, formulaic, uninspired and very disinterested.
    Questions on my part were met with very poor answers and very little detail.

Whereas the 2 interviewers for the criminal justice programme were IMO polar opposites.
    Very engaged, motivated, informative band really really engaged. Offered plenty of detail on options available for additional modules during time undergrads are on co-op and chat about career options.

I left that interview and immediately switched my preference, the recognition offered the LLb does offer a caché for advancement to the solicitor/barrister role but to be quite honest, the impression given at interview was extremely poor.

I'm always of the opinion that I am as much an asset to the course, as the course is to me and I left the Law Plus interview feeling quite unwanted TBH.
    Maybe that was the interviewers way of letting me know I didn't fit their requirements?
    But, big headed as this may sound in 20yrs of professional experience, it was the worst interview experience I've had.

Advertisement