Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Ad reply

Options
  • 07-06-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

When you reply to an Ad using the message option, is there any way to know if they have read your reply or been active on the ad?
    I can see when the ad was last entered so is this the only indication?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yep. Expect to be ignored on the majority of ads I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yep. Expect to be ignored on the majority of ads I'm afraid.

Any tips for success?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any tips for success?

Be a female nymphomaniac 6ft blond with massive tits that loves cooking and cleaning and has incredibly low standards while simultaneously being Brad Pitt with the things women want, figuring out what that is, is an endeavour I gave up on years ago.

On a serious note include a bit about yourself and tailor it to each ad. Is this a house share or own place you're looking for?

\
    On a serious note include a bit about yourself and tailor it to each ad. Is this a house share or own place you're looking for?
    Its a house share and this particular place is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for plus a bit more

Its a house share and this particular place is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for plus a bit more

So you'll need to sell yourself to the prospective house-mates, and possibly the LL. You can only be you and hope that's what they're looking for. Pop a paragraph about yourself in the message.

They'll be inundated with one liners asking if it's still available/when can they come view.

• Advertisement

Yes Ive given a description of myself as best I can
    Despite asking for a message, a phone number is also provided, wold I be shooting myself in the foot if I call in a few days should I get no email back?

Yes Ive given a description of myself as best I can
    Despite asking for a message, a phone number is also provided, wold I be shooting myself in the foot if I call in a few days should I get no email back?

I'd call now tbh - subject to it being a time they listed for a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Any tips for success?

Be employed with references and actually give details of your employment , age, country of origin , dont have a dog or kids.

Needs more than ‘im quiet, clean and respectful’ actually talk about yourself.

It actually says please email, nothing about calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Ring as soon as the ad posts. In my experience they'll only answer the first few calls and arrange appointments, ignoring other calls and messages.

• Advertisement

Be employed with references and actually give details of your employment , age, country of origin , dont have a dog or kids.

Needs more than ‘im quiet, clean and respectful’ actually talk about yourself.

I have a job starting in just over a month, looking to get somewhere sorted before then ideally. is that possible?

zapper55 wrote: »
    Ring as soon as the ad posts. In my experience they'll only answer the first few calls and arrange appointments, ignoring other calls and messages.

It specifies to email if interested but also lists a phone number

The way DAFT ads are set up leads you to believe you have to enter a phone number when placing the advert. It's a tough one, phone and risk pissing them off, email only and risk not standing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have a job starting in just over a month, looking to get somewhere sorted before then ideally. is that possible?

Id frame it like youre already working in the place. ‘Im going to start a job’ doesnt sound good. Ive had many respond to ads that way for me and its usually somebody on the social trying to pretend

The way DAFT ads are set up leads you to believe you have to enter a phone number when placing the advert. It's a tough one, phone and risk pissing them off, email only and risk not standing out.

That’s the dilemma I’m in myself. Hard to know. I’ll leave it until sometime tomorrow either way
    I can see the ad hasn’t been entered since I replied so that might mean he hasn’t read my message possibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

That’s the dilemma I’m in myself. Hard to know. I’ll leave it until sometime tomorrow either way
    I can see the ad hasn’t been entered since I replied so that might mean he hasn’t read my message possibly

Entered means something different to what you think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gael23 wrote:
    That’s the dilemma I’m in myself. Hard to know. I’ll leave it until sometime tomorrow either way I can see the ad hasn’t been entered since I replied so that might mean he hasn’t read my message possibly

You do realise the person gets an email of your enquiry sonic they haven't replied it is because you haven't met their screening criteria.

As an aside, when an ad asks for a description of yourself, what specific points are useful to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gael23 wrote:
    As an aside, when an ad asks for a description of yourself, what specific points are useful to cover?

Age, job, hobbies, likes, dislikes, possibly what course and university you went to.

You never know what they are looking for, someone who will be never there at weekends( hobbies at home will indicate this), someone who will be around and they want someone to chat with(hobbies in the locality show this).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t forget, tidy and non smoker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement