Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 7.45pm

Comments

• Demark was scared like little children. NEVER be scared of them in future.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Ref had a strict no card policy for Denmark it seems. Christensen and Stryger definitely should have been booked.

All in all, a huge improvement on what we've seen before. We played a bit on the deck, and fairly matched them in the aerial challenges, I felt.

Coleman and Duffy were great. McGoldrick put in another super shift, and Stevens had a very impressive first half. Hopefully those two see a good bit of gametime in the PL next season. Alan Judge did very well when he came on aswell. I remember him impressing in friendlies when he was just making his start in international soccer, and then he broke his leg. Delighted that he played a big part in the goal.

Now, if only we could find a spot for a certain Mr. Doherty...
    Wouldn't mind seeing him play left wing instead of McClean.

Great result,a bit of ball played in 1st half,SFA in 2ND but it doesn't matter who's in charge we r always a set piece team,only it fell to braindead McClean we might have nicked it

I give out about McClean as a player but as we know when it comes to goals he is the player you want the ball to fall to, away, against better opponents. I'd give him a break on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just think only for the Good Friday Agreement, Ireland would have got nothing out of that game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Duffy is a good player, better than Championship standard. Not top 6, but for a team in the top 10 (like Everton, Jagielka leaving) he'd be a good signing.

Why would he go back?

• Advertisement

Didi with the cold water

• nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why would he go back?

He's at a great age too and could be got at a very reasonable price

McClean is frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He's at a great age too and could be got at a very reasonable price

I liked your scouse accent when you said greatt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Go and take a lie down with that horseshït.

Haha who else is PL worthy???

It’s a bang average side.

The players are division 2 standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Haha who else is PL worthy???

It’s a bang average side.

The players are division 2 standard.

Division 2?

Duffy is a good player, better than Championship standard. Not top 6, but for a team in the top 10 (like Everton, Jagielka leaving) he'd be a good signing.

Why isn’t he there then?

Look I’m been honest, the team is performing great for the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We let him go many moons ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

On the headstone of the Republic of Ireland team, it would read: "1-1. Our goal scored from a set piece. Headed in by a defender."

glasso wrote: »
    McClean is frustrating.

Whole career.....I'll never forget that Italy game in the Euros when he gave away 2 needless frees in dangerous areas at the death! Great commitment but never knows when to tone it down a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Didi with the cold water

‘A team that went to Germany and got a draw a few years ago’

Think Didi must have left early that day

Division 2?

Sorry the championship in British terms.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not so much to do with inspiring a team, MON could do that. It's his hands on management and coaching ..having his team well drilled, knowing their roll and just getting the basics right on the pitch. A world of difference.

I agree. Mick is well liked in football though. All players seem to take to him and buy into what he's about

Hammann talking ****e. Ireland passed it tonight and had a go and when they got the sucker punch they got up off the canvas and landed their own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Judge with suspected broken arm according to Mick.

Duff wrote: »
    Duffy isn't?:pac:

Does he play in the PL?????

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Speak Now wrote: »
    Whole career.....I'll never forget that Italy game in the Euros when he gave away 2 needless frees in dangerous areas at the death! Great commitment but never knows when to tone it down a notch.

He had two fantastic chances tonight... does the same thing each time. Head down and hit and hope

• Does he play in the PL?????

No.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great result lads.
    Now it’s time for a few pints.

or to look up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

That wasn't great to be honest. Agree with Didi we were getting mauled for long stretches of that game. Had Denmark been better in front of goal we could been 3 or 4 down in the second half.

I think Mick is going to have to come up with something better than putting McGoldrick up front. He puts in a great shift but theres very little quality there. He couldn't finish his dinner and a lot of the time is nowhere near the CF position. There was a couple of instances in the second half where we found ourselves in the Danish half with nobody around their box and McGoldrick either out wide or 20 yards away from where he should be.

Having said all that though i enjoyed watching that game - it was an excellent result! Really valuable point

• Speak Now wrote: »
    I liked your scouse accent when you said greatt.

? :P

Lol

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Does he play in the PL?????

No.

What?

Are you just acting the idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

sonic85 wrote: »
    That wasn't great to be honest. Agree with Didi we were getting mauled for long stretches of that game. Had Denmark been better in front of goal we could been 3 or 4 down in the second half.

I think Mick is going to have to come up with something better than putting McGoldrick up front. He puts in a great shift but theres very little quality there. He couldn't finish his dinner and a lot of the time is nowhere near the CF position. There was a couple of instances in the second half where we found ourselves in the Danish half with nobody around their box and McGoldrick either out wide or 20 yards away from where he should be.

Having said all that though i enjoyed watching that game - it was an excellent result! Really valuable point

Denmark are 10th in the World with a team worth many multiples of ours, them being on top for a period is expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Superb result. Denmark will be kicking themselves.

Replacing Robbie Keane's goals is almost impossible. Very lucky tonight.

Switzerland home and away is the key.

What?

I’m thinking of Keogh.

Sorry lads, I got it arseways.

My fault.

? :P

Ninja Red or Fred the Ninja!

• Speak Now wrote: »
    Ninja Red or Fred the Ninja!

I assume you are trying to say I'm a Liverpool fan. Which I'm most certainly not, a few here can vouch for that!
    And what has Liverpool got to do with Denmark vs Ireland? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Superb result. Denmark will be kicking themselves.

Replacing Robbie Keane's goals is almost impossible. Very lucky tonight.

Switzerland home and away is the key.

Some people only miss Robbie since he is gone.
    It used be said he only scored goals against the weaker teams.

Mick McCarthy is jammying his way through the games so far.
    A lucky general maybe?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I assume you are trying to say I'm a Liverpool fan. Which I'm most certainly not, a few here can vouch for that!
    And what has Liverpool got to do with Denmark vs Ireland? :P

I'm not trying to say that at all, I'm not new Mick.
    The Ninja edit of greatt I was laughing at, it's gone now when I had to explain it anyway.

• Advertisement

A lucky general maybe?

:confused:

That's a solid away performance. Had a few chances, passed it around, no arse kissing like we have been doing. You make your own luck

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Poor judge he's a handy squad player seen him before in friendlies for us and hes lively poor guy has no luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think Mick is going to have to come up with something better than putting McGoldrick up front.

Well we just don’t have the talent to pick from up front.

There was a time we had, Aldridge, Stapleton, Quinn, Byrne, Kelly... and a couple more on the fringes..now we have essentially ONE striker to pick from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A lucky general maybe?

People were wrong saying that, could do with someone like him nowadays.

Sadlier made a good point which I didn’t realize, McGoldrick, Maguire, Hogan & Robinson. All could play up top and no goals at international level.

Hopefully changes on Monday v Gibraltar

Would also love to see the likes of Adam Idah given a shot. Young yes but why not, nothing to lose

People were wrong saying that, could do with someone like him nowadays.

Sadlier made a good point which I didn’t realize, McGoldrick, Maguire, Hogan & Robinson. All could play up top and no goals at international level.

Hopefully changes on Monday v Gibraltar

Would also love to see the likes of Adam Idah given a shot. Young yes but why not, nothing to lose

Ah here , Idah doest even have a wiki page.

It is a good point about Monday - it should be a win, but its a massive opportunity for players to get goals on board

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Denmark are 10th in the World with a team worth many multiples of ours, them being on top for a period is expected.

I'd expect them to have a bit more possession but when you're coughing up 4 or 5 good goalscoring chances to them then you know you're in trouble. It was pure luck/sh!t finishing that saved us from a beating tonight.

When the Danes got their goal we started to play quite well. We got the ball down and played a bit of football. I'll never understand why we sit back so deep invite the opposition on to us, concede and then a switch flicks and we start to play a bit. It's so frustrating

I'd expect them to have a bit more possession but when you're coughing up 4 or 5 good goalscoring chances to them then you know you're in trouble. It was pure luck/sh!t finishing that saved us from a beating tonight.

When the Danes got their goal we started to play quite well. We got the ball down and played a bit of football. I'll never understand why we sit back so deep invite the opposition on to us, concede and then a switch flicks and we start to play a bit. It's so frustrating

There are two teams out there - us coming back into it was as much due to them sitting back as they had something to protect than us steping us.

Denmark are a really good team - just look at the subs they brought on

We also have a few injuries/severly lack depth at the moment. the midfield three and mcgoldrick were blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Great result for Ireland. The Denmark midfield of Schone(Ajax), Delaney(Dortmund) Erikson(Spurs) it was always gonna be a very tough game considering that most of our side is playing in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Unbelievably we had more shots on target tonight than denmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ah here , Idah doest even have a wiki page.

It is a good point about Monday - it should be a win, but its a massive opportunity for players to get goals on board

Nor does James Talbot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Headless chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why would he go back?

Because he's a much better player now.
    Maybe more money, and a better chance of staying the PL on a longer basis than Brighton.
    Zouma may be back at Chelsea given their ban. Jagielka has left, Williams let go. Duffy would be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Although you can nit pick on the performance which was poor at times the real difference is in possession in an away game to a tough team...

D8fJ3leWwAU2WtO.jpg:small

Under MON/Trap that would have been closer to 80/20

Hard not to be pleased with that given what has gone before even though it was poor sometimes.

Strumms wrote: »
    Well we just don’t have the talent to pick from up front.

There was a time we had, Aldridge, Stapleton, Quinn, Byrne, Kelly... and a couple more on the fringes..now we have essentially ONE striker to pick from...

There has to be a better option than playing a lad as your main striker that can't finish or is never in the box? Hogan or Maguire as poor as they are will be in or around the goal not sniffing around out on the wing or fannying around in midfield! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I really wonder what James McClean brings to the Irish side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement