Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Football, 7.45pm

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

sonic85 wrote: »
    There has to be a better option than playing a lad as your main striker that can't finish or is never in the box? Hogan or Maguire as poor as they are will be in or around the goal not sniffing around out on the wing or fannying around in midfield! :D

Jaysus, McGoldrick did a mountain of work tonight. I doubt Hogan or Maguire would have done any better. McGoldrick before tonight had been our best player in the first 2 games. People seem to have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    Bob Harris wrote: »
    I really wonder what James McClean brings to the Irish side.

Hes a hard worker that puts a shift in, but thats really it.

He fouls too much, hes often caught out of position, he cant pass, he cant cross... but theres not really a whole lot of other options availableand he has cropped up some very important goals over the years from being in the right place at the right time.

He had one great chance tonight that Schmeichel had to save, but had it went in he would have been lauded a hero despite having an other wise poor game.

Can't agree with that part of your post. There are alternatives there who should be given a chance. O'Dowda and Robinson for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

clsmooth wrote: »
    Jaysus, McGoldrick did a mountain of work tonight. I doubt Hogan or Maguire would have done any better. McGoldrick before tonight had been our best player in the first 2 games. People seem to have short memories.

My memory is fine thanks. I already said he worked hard tonight and after the game against Georgia I agreed 100% with him getting MOTM. His effort is not in doubt but if you think we're getting out of this group with McGoldrick as our main striker then I'm sorry but you're deluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d like to see if McClean could do a job centrally as a striker. Or even in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good point but its still frustrating how clueless we are in games.

We were crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball, play a simple ball to a man and look for a return. You need to stem the tide when there's one way traffic coming at you at and hoofing it forward or running aimlessly isn't the answer. The Danes weren't even that interested in pressing us and still everything was rushed and forced.

The players get a lot of credit for being courageous but i think their actions in games are cowardly. Running around after the opposition isn't courageous. Our midfielders hide, the long ball option is invariably taken because no one has the balls to take responsibility. The manager can only do so much. I wish the lads in the media would call the players out. We haven't got great ability but we have the ability to do a lot better. We're stuck with this inferiority complex and no one seems willing to challenge it.

I just think there was a huge difference between this draw in Denmark and our last draw n Denmark.

I think this time round they'll be a lot more wary about the return fixture in Dublin. A draw flattered us last time, this time it wasn't daylight robbery. It wouldn't be such a big shock if this side beats them at home, because while we're not great at playing it out, we've stopped hoofing it every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d like to see if McClean could do a job centrally as a striker. Or even in behind.

I think his finishing is awful, no composure and I'd have little faith in his ability to play behind the front player.

As said above, he runs and presses and gives it his all but when it comes down to ability I've watched him for years and in that sense he's poor and ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I think his finishing is awful, no composure and I'd have little faith in his ability to play behind the front player.

As said above, he runs and presses and gives it his all but when it comes down to ability I've watched him for years and in that sense he's poor and ineffective.

He went through a purple patch at one stage where he scored a goal against Austria was it?
    He seems to have went backwards a bit is he just getting old past his peak.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

sonic85 wrote: »
    My memory is fine thanks. I already said he worked hard tonight and after the game against Georgia I agreed 100% with him getting MOTM. His effort is not in doubt but if you think we're getting out of this group with McGoldrick as our main striker then I'm sorry but you're deluded

How about McGoldrick in behind the main striker? He drops deep for sure, and his link up play is not bad at all. He did beat a man once or twice tonight aswell. His retention and ability to pass when bottled up is quite good too. He's definitely worth a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would also love to see the likes of Adam Idah given a shot. Young yes but why not, nothing to lose

He's due to play for the U21 team on 9 June vs Bahrain where a win could see us into the semi final. Bit much to expect him to tog out on 10 June also :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Great draw.

Realky have to make it count this time unlike the last qualifying and pick up a win at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great draw.

Realky have to make it count this time unlike the last qualifying and pick up a win at home.

The last time Ireland pushed for a win against the Danes, they were creamed, and that would happen again if Ireland played too expectantly.

Every manager worth his salt would come to the Ireland team and make the same assessment: they lack a true star player, they lack a cutting edge, and they look awkward when passing the ball. Therefore the best option for any kind of success is to make the team hard to beat. This is exactly what Mick has tried to do, as have MON and Trap before him, only difference being Mick's had a handy enough run of games so far, making comparisons to his predecessors or predictions on his team's chances barely even worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd prefer if he was dropped ahead of more talented players tbh. Mc Clean has got 'pashun' and work-rate and that's essentially it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I agree. Mick is well liked in football though. All players seem to take to him and buy into what he's about

Hammann talking ****e. Ireland passed it tonight and had a go and when they got the sucker punch they got up off the canvas and landed their own

Hamann was not talking ****e at all. A lot to admire about the way Ireland got back into it when they could have crumbled after conceding. However Hamann was talking about different aspects of the performance that could have been better. Denmark on several occasions were allowed possession in the hole between midfield and up front, they had several chances to score. Hamann was right to bring up that we’re not far off Denmark and with a bit more belief we can get the better of them in this Group, they’re ranked top 10 but they’re no great shakes at all.

We’re in a good spot after the opening games but if we’re to go and qualify from the Group we’ll need more from midfield.

Necro wrote: »
    I'd prefer if he was dropped ahead of more talented players tbh. Mc Clean has got 'pashun' and work-rate and that's essentially it.

Like who? Why do you think Mick as the new manager still picks McClean?
    Managers and set ups change but amazingly some comments on here never change. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How much of a guarantee do we have of being in the playoffs ???

All the other teams in our group even Gibraltar are guaranteed one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Like who? Why do you think Mick as the new manager still picks McClean?
    Managers and set ups change but amazingly some comments on here never change. LOL.

O'Dowda or Robinson, as has already been said. I don't know why Mick persists with Mc Clean, hang on till I give him a ring and find out.

Why do you think he does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

briany wrote: »
    The last time Ireland pushed for a win against the Danes, they were creamed, and that would happen again if Ireland played too expectantly.

Every manager worth his salt would come to the Ireland team and make the same assessment: they lack a true star player, they lack a cutting edge, and they look awkward when passing the ball. Therefore the best option for any kind of success is to make the team hard to beat. This is exactly what Mick has tried to do, as have MON and Trap before him, only difference being Mick's had a handy enough run of games so far, making comparisons to his predecessors or predictions on his team's chances barely even worthwhile.
    I’m talking about after getting results against Bosnia and Austria away we couldn’t capatilise on that at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How much of a guarantee do we have of being in the playoffs ???

All the other teams in our group even Gibraltar are guaranteed one

We don't get a play-off. We either finish top two and qualify directly or that's it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Omackeral wrote: »
    We don't get a play-off. We either finish top two and qualify directly or that's it for us.

Theres this complicated bollocks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m talking about after getting results against Bosnia and Austria away we couldn’t capatilise on that at home.

Bosnia?

We drew 1-1 away and won 2-0 at home.

Also, to answer your earlier question, Championship goalkeeper of the year Darren Randolph is Premier League quality. As is Shane Duffy, Matt Doherty, Jeff Hendrick (who seems to play better for club than country) and Shane Long, while Enda Stevens and Conor Hourihane played vital roles in getting their teams promoted last season.

You can’t say only Coleman is PL quality. It’s absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Hamann was not talking ****e at all. A lot to admire about the way Ireland got back into it when they could have crumbled after conceding. However Hamann was talking about different aspects of the performance that could have been better. Denmark on several occasions were allowed possession in the hole between midfield and up front, they had several chances to score. Hamann was right to bring up that we’re not far off Denmark and with a bit more belief we can get the better of them in this Group, they’re ranked top 10 but they’re no great shakes at all.

We’re in a good spot after the opening games but if we’re to go and qualify from the Group we’ll need more from midfield.

I think he was talking shíte when the opening question after the game was if he noticed a difference in the way Ireland played under O'Neill and under McCarthy, and his response was along the lines of 'not really'. Which falls under the category of talking shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

PTH2009 wrote: »

Not guaranteed at all but would be more likely than not getting a spot if we’re not top two. Downside of that is they’re one legged ties - semi and final - and due to our finishing position in Nations League we’d most likely be the away side.

But 7 from 9 which should realistically be 10 from 12 is a good start and hopefully we can push for automatic qualification. Would be pretty galling to host games and not be involved. And the second half of the campaign is made up of four of the top five most difficult games.

Necro wrote: »
    O'Dowda or Robinson, as has already been said. I don't know why Mick persists with Mc Clean, hang on till I give him a ring and find out.

Why do you think he does?

Because clearly he feels that McClean is a better choice than Robinson or O’Dowda, thought that was fairly obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hamann said Ireland have as good team as Denmark.

That is completely wrong. Ireland are basically a championship side with a few midtable PL players in Coleman & Duffy.

Denmark have quite a few CL,EL players . Poulsen,Eriksen,Larsen,Dolberg,Delaney,Schone,Kjaer & Christensen.

sacamano wrote: »
    I think he was talking shíte when the opening question after the game was if he noticed a difference in the way Ireland played under O'Neill and under McCarthy, and his response was along the lines of 'not really'. Which falls under the category of talking shíte.

In the first half Ireland did better at retaining possession and passing it than under O’Neill in the last 2 of 3 years of his reign. In the second half Hamann made the valid point that we were overrun in midfield, that we didn’t compete there and that Denmark aren’t that great and with more belief we can match them better. Sadlier said something similar that there were concerns about aspects of the performance.

Great result but no the panel weren’t talking ****e at all when raising concerns about aspects of the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

With Austria, yes, it was a pity. With Serbia (Bosnia being a whole different qualifier), there wasn't anything about the away leg that should have given confidence about getting a win at home. It was a 2-2 draw, but Serbia dominated the game, leading 2-1, with a gilt-edged chance to go 2 goals clear but for a botched shot from just over 6 yards, bouncing out off the inside of the crossbar. The disparity in quality was exploited in Dublin when Serbia handily outplayed Ireland, even when reduced to 10 men.

Just saying that it's important to look at a little bit more than the result in order to determine the chances in the return leg, and that's true with Denmark as well. The best strategy in the return leg is just to stick with the current plan except to be tighter on the containment and drill a few setpiece tricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bit fortunate in that Danes didn't take more of their chances.

But what a brave performance.

How many times have we did that?

Great point.

Will be praying for a Georgian point on Mon.

Possibly the stupidest comment I've ever seen in relation to the Ireland team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Not stupid at all. He done a job there for us before. He was our top scorer in the WC qualifiers, was joint top scorer in MON's time in charge and while Long and McGoldrick are good honest professionals, neither are the most prolific.

That being said, I personally wouldn't move him from left wing because he puts a great defensive shift in and its his natural position.

• Advertisement

I think we are all guilty of getting hung up on a fairly weak notion that McClean is a good finisher.

The Wales and Austria goals will live long in the memory though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s more trying to come up with a solution to a problem that shows no sign of naturally fixing itself. I mentioned McClean as he is physical, direct in his running and shooting and has shown, desire, confidence and a willingness to try and score and to influence in the final third. This we are lacking.

He averages Internationally one goal in six, from midfield in a creatively starved team. Even if pushed forward if that became one in three, one in two which could be possible with his departure from midfield freeing up a space for a more creative type player and with more chances coming, his move would bolster our striking options and his physical strengths will even secure more knock downs and recycled possession that chances can be created from.

McClean scored 3 goals in 45 appearances for Stoke in the Championship.

He isn't a goalscorer but any stretch and I'd rather just about any of our actual striking options up front if I'm honest.

patsman07 wrote: »

Not stupid at all. He done a job there for us before. He was our top scorer in the WC qualifiers, was joint top scorer in MON's time in charge and while Long and McGoldrick are good honest professionals, neither are the most prolific.

That being said, I personally wouldn't move him from left wing because he puts a great defensive shift in and its his natural position.

You haven't a clue about football if you're genuinely advocating for James McClean to be our centre forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Embarrassing from Ireland, Dundalk would beat Gibraltar and we can only mange 3 goal in 180 mins v them. Truly depressing how poor we are

Advertisement