Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The No RTE Chatshows Summer Thread 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just as well Wales never qualified given their choice of footy kit...

welsh2.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Started watching this match from the 80th minute on and enjoyed it, all that was missing was a birra Brian Kerr.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just seen one of the Australian players is called Polkinghorne, what a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Thank God for that.

Congratulations Norway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More 4 till 00.10. It was alright in the 80s.

Been on loads of times but I've never seen it. Good laugh.

WM, I was entertained by some of your lot last week. Went down to the local alehouse and they had an open mic night on. Usually a core few lads and lassies with electric bass turned down low, 2 accoustic guitars and a mandolin. Anyone extra is a bonus. Four people arrived in the other night with fiddle flute and banjo anr it evolved into a 12 person bluegrass session. I was chatting with one of the women outside for a smoke and she told me they were from Wales. I didn't catch the placename. They were part of a contingent over to Rosses Point for the Sea Shanty Festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    WM, I was entertained by some of your lot last week. Went down to the local alehouse and they had an open mic night on. Usually a core few lads and lassies with electric bass turned down low, 2 accoustic guitars and a mandolin. Anyone extra is a bonus. Four people arrived in the other night with fiddle flute and banjo anr it evolved into a 12 person bluegrass session. I was chatting with one of the women outside for a smoke and she told me they were from Wales. I didn't catch the placename. They were part of a contingent over to Rosses Point for the Sea Shanty Festival.

Sounds brilliant.

I'd love to have gone down to that festival. but I was stuck working on my kitchen over the weekend. Ironically I was in RP 4 times over 2 days dropping off and picking up someone. A 2-3 hr pub crawl between the two pubs and a lift home would have been a lovely Sunday afternoon. Maybe next year.

• Advertisement

Swedish player called Blackstenius, some brilliant names at the Women's World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"There are various types of gangs operating in Ireland at the moment in all our major cities.

Punks, Mods, Rockers, Teds, Greasers, Futuristics, New Romantics, Blitz Kids, Skinheads, Rudie Skinheads, Boot Boys, Hells Angels, Bikers and Ska Boys

And we have some representatives of various gangs on the programme tonight"

It sound like a Brass Eye interview, but it's vintage LLS as Gay sorts out the gangz of the day in this classic clip from 1983

No mention of death or disease, bizarrely.

France were robbed in the Women's World Cup, should we feel any sympathy for them :D

France were robbed in the Women's World Cup, should we feel any sympathy for them :D

I got a fierce sense of discombobulation every time George Hamilton mentioned Cascarino

I mean, I know it's perfectly logical that there could be a woman called Cascarino playing in the Womens World Cup but my old head is still stuck in the last century.

Just seen the GAA are bringing the club finals forward to January, and they are talking seriously about a two tier system, and I'm still trying to process the super 8s and the finals being played in August :o

My god, if England win the Women’s World Cup, they won’t stop going on about it.

Just like the Irish won’t stop going on about Italia ‘90.

PoliticalYellowishAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

Just when you thought it was safe to turn on your television ...

Next Saturday on RTE1 at 8.15pm ... Twink Through The Years :eek::pac::eek:

Might be best not to google that one, by the way.

What's on tonight, be the hokey?

Ain't Glasto, anyway.

Does anyone else try every year to watch Wimbledon out of nostalgia, but get bored by the time it's 15 love?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Ain't Glasto, anyway.

Does anyone else try every year to watch Wimbledon out of nostalgia, but get bored by the time it's 15 love?

Best of Glastonbury, BBC Two at 11.05pm :)

That's like, 100 hours away.

Everything is so unfair.

Anyway, I've been listening to that new Irish Beatles podcast, called Nothing Is Real. I recommend it for evryone. Might stick on the Anthology DVDs for a while.

Why are new potatoes called new potatoes?

Are most potatoes not new when they're harvested?

I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Promo's on the TV page for Tommy Tiernan Show (finished last week) and Ireland's Favourite Folk Song (finished 2 or 3 weeks ago), such a professional organisation, ffs it's run like a Transition Year web site.

https://www.rte.ie/tv/

You can shove it up your f*ckin' hole :o

Keith Duffy was at least more philosophical in reaction to that clip.

Ain't Glasto, anyway.

I can't get enough of it, to be honest.

Love it, always have done.

There's a good Radio One Documentary on Veere Goold, A Waterford man who got to the final in Wimbledon and was also convicted of Murder in Monte Carlo and exiled to Devil's Island

Come on Hollywood, make that movie

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/0623/797714-from-waterford-and-wimbledon-to-monaco-and-murder/

https://www.totallydublin.ie/arts-culture/irelands-19th-century-wimbledon-invasion/

Skid X wrote: »
    I can't get enough of it, to be honest.

Love it, always have done.

There's a good Radio One Documentary on Veere Goold, A Waterford man who got to the final in Wimbledon and was also convicted of Murder in Monte Carlo and exiled to Devil's Island

Come on Hollywood, make that movie

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/0623/797714-from-waterford-and-wimbledon-to-monaco-and-murder/

https://www.totallydublin.ie/arts-culture/irelands-19th-century-wimbledon-invasion/

Really?

I want to like it, just find it boring. Maybe a couple of hours in a row might get the interest going?

Maybe.

Listening to the new Springsteen album, the man still has it, hope I look anywhere near as good if I reach that age.

Twink in her own TV special?

*shudder*

The remake of ‘Arthur’ starring Russell Brand (I know it’s crazy, but it’s true)?

*double shudder*

‘MRS BROWN’S BOYS D’MOVIE’?!

SHUDDER OVERLOAD!!

tenor.gif?itemid=11898716

Euphoria by Loreen and now ABBA playing while Sweden celebrate third place in the Women's World Cup, hope they play Meshuggah next.

Can't believe they dragged Jon Kenny into that Mrs Brown's boys atrocity :(

Full episode of eighties Sunday Night staple Murphy's Micro Quiz-M here

This was an odd show, Mike Murphy and lots of co-hosts giving away lots of prizes to families in a vaguely technology based show.

The highlight every week was a computer game played every week for the kidz, which made most of us lust after a Commodore 64 or Spectrum ZX81

At 27.22 a rare opportunity to hear Mike Murphy giving a running commentary of the two young lads playing Donkey Kong rip off 'Killer Gorilla', with a few bits of advice from Mike
    "Up them steps and jump over the barrel ... lep up there and grab the hammer"

If RTE commissioned Mike Murphy today to do a similar 80s retro video gameshow battle contest, I would pay my Licence Fee

There's a feature length doc in the schedules on Wednesday which might be of interest (RTE1 9.30pm)

'Shoulder To Shoulder with Brian O'Driscoll' was previously shown on BT Sport, it is about Irish Rugby and how the North and South played together through the troubles

• Advertisement

The Hangover on RTE 2 now, it's eerie how much your man looks like Brendan Grace, is this another tribute to him?

Speaking of Brendan, I was surprised to learn (on TVCream.co.uk) that he sang the version of I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester, which was copied almost verbatim by The Wurzels who had a huge hit in the UK

Brendan's version was a piss take of this song, but it was a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Listening to the new Springsteen album, the man still has it, hope I look anywhere near as good if I reach that age.

Agreed and he said in an interview recently that he has new songs wriiten for the E Street Band that will be recorded before Christmas.Still great times to be a Bruce fan.

M

Might be of interest for Friday night....
    https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1147094985113776129

I’m still waiting for A Night In With The Reynolds Girls!

Lots of houses being jacked, no Fleetwood Mac. :)

Might be of interest for Friday night....
    https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1147094985113776129

@LukeGoss @MattGoss Why does Miriam O'Callaghan get to pick and choose which Summers she does a chat show, and why dont RTE replace her with someone better? #BrosNight #BrendanForever

Another chance to catch this year’s LLS Country Music special, followed by ‘The Nathan Carter Show’.

giphy.gif

Ah Jesus...

At least they're showing the film of the 80 year old man who started flying a few years ago on Monday.

Another chance to catch this year’s LLS Country Music special, followed by ‘The Nathan Carter Show’.

giphy.gif

We're going to need a bigger window ...

Next Friday there is a two hour long Nathan ****ing Carter concert on RTE :(

• Advertisement

I know. He had a 10 minute ad on Ray Darcy today.

I literally bumped into Brendan O'Connor at New Order in Trinity a few weeks ago.

I was coming past the Bag Search and he almost took me down.

Do be vigilant as you enjoy your Summer festivities, Brendan can appear at any time out of nowhere.

I literally bumped into Brendan O'Connor at New Order in Trinity a few weeks ago.

I was coming past the Bag Search and he almost took me down.

Do be vigilant as you enjoy your Summer festivities, Brendan can appear at any time out of nowhere.

Oh, dear.

Is that sort of like that you should never meet your heroes thing?

Anyway, jeeeasus there's bollocks all on telly tonight. Bleedin holy jesus tonight.

NATHAN CARTER 3 ARENA LIVE SHOW...

MOSHPIT!!

d4011c285fe81afbc1707858ff0584af.gif

Oh, dear.

Is that sort of like that you should never meet your heroes thing?

Anyway, jeeeasus there's bollocks all on telly tonight. Bleedin holy jesus tonight.

Ah sure, it was a bit like this incident - exciting for a brief period and then everyone walked away without holding a grudge

https://twitter.com/footbalIfights/status/1152893231107121155

I have found my DVD box of Spinal Tap which for once had the Spinal Tap DVD in it, that'll be my viewing for tonight

M

Lethal Weapon 2 on ITV at 10.45
    LethalImmunity.gif

• Advertisement

Vic & Bob on BBC2 NI now.

Vic & Bob on BBC2 NI now.

New series of Bob and Paul Whitehouse’s Fishing programme starts next Friday :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00077cb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I have found my DVD box of Spinal Tap which for once had the Spinal Tap DVD in it, that'll be my viewing for tonight

I have to say..... Nathan is playing a blinder.
    I hasten to add I only have saorview :)

I've an itching for an RTE talk show, no Mir and no Tommeh - they should put some kind of filler Summer Saturday Night Talk Show on air again

There is virtually no evidence of Good Grief Moncrieff, Sean Moncrieff's 1996 effort which sank without trace.

Although he did get Bill Murray to film a trailer for it

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/986541024758689793

• Advertisement
Advertisement