Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2019 - September15th.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Great event.
    Absolutley shattered.
    Was gagging for a beer at the end of it but alas......

Oh and a Huge thanks to all the Marshall's for standing out in that weather and to the service car who helped me with my puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just back in Galway now... Long day but very much worth it. I did the 125 km. I had never cycled in the Wicklow mountains before. It was a great course, very challenging and I am shattered. It was well organised, there were loads of marshalls and signs. Thanks to everyone at Reservoir Cogs and volunteers for a great event. Pity about the weather, but it means I'm planning on coming back next year :)
    Corker1 wrote: »
    Bananas, Biscuits and Water.

You're doing yourself a major disservice Corker... You had loads on offer at the water stops! Including Deliously Ella energy balls... Very fancy! :D

Great day out today. Met a few boardsies like NeedMoreGears and Wishbone Ash, though I think I had a burger on my mind when talking to WA back at Russborough. I was wearing the original boardsie gear.

Great marshalling and great support out there today, particularly at the turns in the wet.

Special shout out to the brilliant lady ringing the cowbell on that evil little climb before Lacken, helped drag me up that hill!

Finished on 135km for the day. Longest spin of the year so far. Took it easy at the start but had to go for it climbing Lugalla since it was dry at that point!

Great event, will be back next year.

On the beer thing - is this a change from last year then?

Dónal wrote: »

I think they were let down at the last minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Really enjoyed today. Did the 125 route, 2nd year doing this ride and can't recommend it enough. Fair play to all the marshalls standing out in the wet all morning. Happy to get it over with at the end, was wrecked the last 10km. Was hoping to get under the 5 hour mark - missed out by a few minutes but going to put that down to being lazy the last couple of weeks. Will have to sign up again next year to try again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it was on the facebook page that it was mentioned that a medical emergency beset their beer supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Great day despite the weather in the west of the county - it was dry for me on the home roads on the Luggala - Roundwood - Laragh - Glenmacnass stretch. Loved the new to me climb after Ballysmutten (still hate Lake Drive though :) )

Tried to hang on to the front, but got blown out on the first climb and then ended up pretty much solo, save for a few chats and the food stop, but still happy out and happy with my time. It's so much up and down, there's only a few sections that a group would be a massive benefit. Hope to be back next year.

Fair play to the marshals having to stand around in the mist. It wasn't cold on the bike, but noticeable as soon as I stopped.

About the only thing I can muster was a lack of banana's, unless I missed them at the start, first water stop, Brockagh? Didn't stop at the last water stop. Plenty of other options, so not a big deal, it's just the thing I normally go for rather than muffins and biscuits on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

AxleAddict wrote: »
    Hope this is not the kiss of death, but the weather forecast is looking promising for the weekend! Looking forward to another great day out.....!

*ahem*

In fairness, despite the heavy drizzle and mist in places, it was still pretty warm - managed to make it back to Russborough House before the weather really closed in later in the afternoon.

Enjoyed the tweaks to the 125km route - had forgotten there was a new climb after the final waterstop at Ballysmuttan - on the way up I saw a gap in the trees in the distance, but alas that wasn't the end of the climbing. Fair play to the young lady standing near the top with the cowbell, shouting words of encouragement as we approached the summit. Great views of Blessington lake on the descent (would have been even more spectacular had it been sunny). Despite the additional extra climb at the end, I think it's a welcome inclusion (and I'm not the worlds greatest climber!).

As per usual, roads were pretty quiet, only really had to keep my eyes peeled during the fast descent from Luggala towards Roundwood. With a little bit of wind from Glenmacnass over Sally Gap, didn't have to fight off the local insect life this year. For some reason, Cunard didn't feel as tough for me as it has in the past, yet yesterday wasn't my fastest attempt overall (I blame the mist and the satellites and Wahoo and Strava - I mean, what else could it be!)

The Reservoir Dog continues to be a scenic and challenging 125km route. The Cycling Ireland 'Rate My Event' survey page doesn't seem to have updated yet for the past weekend, but when it does I'll be leaving the customary feedback.

Cycling Ireland 'Rate My Event' Survey

Well done to everyone @ Reservoir Cogs for organising another great event - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Great day out today. Met a few boardsies like NeedMoreGears and Wishbone Ash, though I think I had a burger on my mind when talking to WA back at Russborough. I was wearing the original boardsie gear.

Great marshalling and great support out there today, particularly at the turns in the wet.

Special shout out to the brilliant lady ringing the cowbell on that evil little climb before Lacken, helped drag me up that hill!

Finished on 135km for the day. Longest spin of the year so far. Took it easy at the start but had to go for it climbing Lugalla since it was dry at that point!

Great event, will be back next year.

And me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Plomber

Like all the others , great day out with excellent marshalling and encouragement.

What I like about this is its technical aspect, especially with some of the weather yesterday , you do really need to know what your doing. One moment sticks out.. while barrelling down an early descent with heavy mist and very limited visibility , I appreciated the humour in seeing " caution loose sheep " painted on the road.

...as others have said , I hope the beer guy gets better , enjoyed a few glasses last year , would look forward to them again next year.

Thanks to Reservoir Cogs for putting this on.

Maybe it's just me trying to justify my narrowly avoided lanterne rouge but it seemed like the drop out rate was fairly high on the 125km?

Maybe it's just me trying to justify my narrowly avoided lanterne rouge but it seemed like the drop out rate was fairly high on the 125km?

Was it at Ballysmuttan bridge that a good few people dropped out? I did notice that it was quiet from there onwards.

Was it at Ballysmuttan bridge that a good few people dropped out? I did notice that it was quiet from there onwards.

I think it started at Cunard. Definitely a few abandoned before the food stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ll definitely be signing up early for this next year as I was away and missed the deadline this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Well it's a wrap for another year. Thank you all for your kind comments. I will pass them on to the helpers and volunteers who might not frequent these pages. We are delighted to report that everyone got around without a scratch. The two ambulances didn't have to use as much as a plaster all day and apart from a few punctures there were very few mechanicals. One guy broke his chain but used his chain splitter to fix it before our mechanics van got to him. The weather was a bit hit and miss, especially for the riders coming in later. We had less serious stragglers this year. and despite the extra climb the last rider was in 30 minutes earlier than last year. We reckon quite a few riders on a bad day opted for the signed Bail out option rather than tackle the new climb at 100km. Our feedback is that the changes to the 125 route this year were well received though we would welcome your comments. We had the same number of Bananas this year as last but more riders there so your comment is noted Macy. We will order more next year. But we are keeping Lake Drive. ;)
    It was great to meet most of you here on the day and have a chat. Some I only saw flashing by and never got to talk to - Next year!! Speaking of next year we are looking at the 13th of September, subject to confirmation. Watch this space. Thanks again to all of you. We really enjoyed hosting such the great bunch. Oh, and if you already haven't filled out the Cycling Ireland Rate my Event survey now is your chance. Cheers.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/rate-my-event

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We had the same number of Bananas this year as last but more riders there so your comment is noted Macy. We will order more next year. But we are keeping Lake Drive. ;)
    It's about the height of what I could find as constructive criticism tbh!

I've already rated it on the site, but I really liked the changes. Even before the change, there's lots of roads that I don't ever or rarely go on, despite the proximity*. Too many of the Wicklow one's are very predictable. I'll be picking my day for a revisit of the new climb after Ballysmuttan as I'd say on a nice day the views are amazing. I think my double Gapper route has changed!

*just to call my own clubs Paddy Martin for similar Wicklow roads less travelled!

Hi Folks, The Reservoir Dog Sportive has been nominated for Best Leisure Event of 2019 in the CI Membership Awards 2019 which is nice. If you are minded to vote for the Reservoir Dog Sportive you can do so here;

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HZL8CMK.

Voting remains open for CI members until 10th November. Thanks a million and see you at the 2020 Dog on 20th September next year. We moved from our earlier slot of 13th Sept since my post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hi Folks, The Reservoir Dog Sportive has been nominated for Best Leisure Event of 2019 in the CI Membership Awards 2019 which is nice. If you are minded to vote for the Reservoir Dog Sportive you can do so here;

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HZL8CMK.

Voting remains open for CI members until 10th November. Thanks a million and see you at the 2020 Dog on 20th September next year. We moved from our earlier slot of 13th Sept since my post above.

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Done.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Done and good luck

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Great to see the Reservoir Dog take the Leisure Event of the year award. Well deserved - well done to all involved.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-ireland-awards-2019-winners/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Love the Quentin Tarantino look in the prize-giving photos.

Well done Corker - long deserved!

Great to see Phil Skelton's Trojan work on the 1.5 campaign being recognised too.

Thank you very much Mercian Pro and Axel Addict. It was an unexpected treat to get the Best Leisure event of 2019 award. The icing on the cake so to speak. We had good fun at the awards event and thankfully it ended better than a Tarantino movie :D:cool:

Thank you to all of you who have participated in the Reservoir Dog and cheers to everyone who voted for us in the CI Poll. Now we will get to work on making the 2020 Reservoir Dog even better.

Yes it was wonderful to see Phil Skelton set his award for making the roads safer for us all.

A new thread has been started for the 2020 Reservoir Dog.
    Thanks all for your input for the 2019 event. Hope to see you in 2020.
    Cheers,
    Over and out.

Advertisement