Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC maths P1 higher level .Mods please move if necessary!

Options
  • 07-06-2019 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

As a teacher I’m worried...
    Opinion Alert. As a maths teacher , I have to say that the JC Higher level maths paper 1 was a very challenging paper. It will have left the middling students who took the challenge of the higher level a bit lost.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The curve will sort it out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK the Maths Teachers' Association has an input each year before the conferences. It might be worth contacting them. Not sure I have their title right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

FFred wrote: »
    As a teacher I’m worried...
    Opinion Alert. As a maths teacher , I have to say that the JC Higher level maths paper 1 was a very challenging paper. It will have left the middling students who took the challenge of the higher level a bit lost.

I had a look and thought it wasn't too bad. Although I had to the the questions a few times just to be sure I knew what they were asking.

What did you think was challenging for students in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I had a look and thought it wasn't too bad. Although I had to the the questions a few times just to be sure I knew what they were asking.

Hi,

I was a little bit tired and emotional when I posted that. In saying that, I have two particular students in mind who are mathematically capable but find it difficult to identify and apply the maths when the question is in any way vague or ‘wordy’.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

FFred wrote: »

Hi,

I was a little bit tired and emotional when I posted that. In saying that, I have two particular students in mind who are mathematically capable but find it difficult to identify and apply the maths when the question is in any way vague or ‘wordy’.

Thanks for the reply :)

What did you think of paper 2?
    I felt it was just a bit odd. I was a few questions in and thought I must have opened the ordinary level paper by mistake. Certain things like giving the words Acute, Obtuse etc or Categorical Nominal etc and asking the students to match these to angles or data. Why can't they ask the student to come up with the correct mathematical term rather than spoon-feeding them this way? The co-ordinate geometry question felt a bit ordinary level too. Ditto for the almost completed tree diagram for the probability question. And the "remember they are equilateral triangles" hint for the geometry question. Why not let the students go back and read over the details again?
    I have a really strong higher level class this year who will probably mostly do fine with this paper if the managed to stay awake through all the spoonfeeding parts.
    It seemed to me to be what I'd expect the new Junior Cycle maths paper to be like in 2021 ... all unifying material and stuff, but quite different from papers up to now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement