Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for buying an apartment in Dublin

Options
  • 08-06-2019 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

Excuse me naivety on this topic just looking for some options.
    I'm strongly thinking about trying to buy a 2 bed apartment in Dublin (area is flexible) the deposit part of it isn't the problem I've a good bit saved and could add to it easily if I thought I'd actually be able to buy somewhere.
    I recently got chatting to someone who said she has put herself on the affordable housing list. I know nothing about this.
    What are some options of a single person in their early 30s trying to buy? I feel like everyone is aware of different schemes and I'm missing out.

Again, no judgement please on my lack of knowledge on this it's not something I gave much thought to in my 20s unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Apply for a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

There’s limitations to the Affordable Housing, e.g. your annual income can’t exceed X. You will need to check this out for each area (Fingal, Dublin City, South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Meeting a mortgage broker is usually a good first step. They know the system well and you've no duty to go back to them if you pay for the meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I've friends who bought in Fingal under the affordable housing scheme but that was back around 2004/2005 when there was a glut of housing available. As far as I can tell, Rebuilding Ireland is the successor to that scheme (correct me if I'm wrong) and Fingal aren't accepting any more applications. This is a link to Rebuilding Ireland http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/eligibility/ Given the chronic shortage of housing out there, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

It's not clear from your post whether you can afford to buy anything outright. Unless you can get an exemption, you'll be loaned 3.5 times your annual salary. You'll also need to put a few thousand Euros aside to actually buy the place. And that's before you put a stick of furniture in your new home. I think the advice about going to a broker is a good one. You're not obliged to give them your business but they'll be able to tell you what you borrow, what your repayments will be etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Excuse my ignorance, but what affordable housing scheme? Where can you find out more details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/

Affordable housing schemes

The affordable housing schemes have been stood down. They helped eligible first-time buyers to buy homes at below their market price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Due to start back now under a new scheme with developments in ballymun, cherry orchard and a few other places.

Advertisement