Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing Areas - Dublin Councils

Options
  • 08-06-2019 10:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Seen an interesting post there that the Greater Lucan area is soaking up all the social housing in South Dublin County Council from other areas, and possible issues arising from this.

Just wondering in the 4 Dublin councils, (DCC, Fingal, South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown):

1. Within those councils what areas are getting big amounts of new social housing and what areas are getting no social housing these days?

2. And at an overall level, which areas would be taking the big % of social housing in each council level?

I believe in relation to (1) Balbriggan is getting a lot of council housing from surrounding areas in Fingal. Obviously Lucan mentioned re SDCC. In relation to (2) Ballymun historically would have had a lot of council housing in DCC and also the North Inner City. No real knowledge on the Dun Laoghaire council.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Donabate is becoming a dumping ground for social housing. Both Part V and also a lot of HAP deals which have been prefunded.

Anywhere where you can get a 3 bed for less than 400k will always be a target. It's just the practicalities of it. Council's can't really justify buying a 600k apartment to put someone in there on a differential rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Johouse

We have been looking at Shankill but are now reading about the 600 units - mainly social and affordable which are planned for Shanganagh. What are people’s view on this development?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lusk is getting it too.
    None being built in Malahide and Portmarnock.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Is there a list available anywhere of all new social developments, where they have been built or are planned to be built, etc.

A lot of the ones announced seem to be latching 30 or so homes on to the edge of existing estates rather than building completely new ones. Social commentators prattling nonsense about avoiding building "another Ballymun", large estates are exactly what is needed.

Johouse wrote: »
    We have been looking at Shankill but are now reading about the 600 units - mainly social and affordable which are planned for Shanganagh. What are people’s view on this development?

Much needed. It is an utter disgrace that formerly social housing in DLR goes for upwards of 380k. A working class school leaver is better advised to go on the dole if they wish to remain living where they grew up.

In saying that, it also puzzles me. Nobody would dream of paying 380k for a house in a council estate in Finglas, Blanch etc etc. The Shankill, Sallynoggin and Ballybrack estates are still significantly council tenanted, are the majority of these homes being bought as BTL's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

shesty wrote: »
    Lusk is getting it too.

There is no possible justification for social housing in expensive neighbourhoods.

There is no possible justification for social housing in expensive neighbourhoods.

Agreed, although it is similarly appalling that formerly council owned properties can be sold for a price out of reach of the majority of the working class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Agreed, although it is similarly appalling that formerly council owned properties can be sold for a price out of reach of the majority of the working class.

Y, council housing should never have been sold off on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Finding quite a mix of tenants now in social housing, many of whom are working but with those on good salarys now not being able to get mortgages due to a mix of the central bank rules and high values, I guess this is an outcome of those developments.

Does this mean we are getting a mix on new social housing estates, not by design but by default? Probably not planned, but a result indirectly of present circumstances.

This is coming from developers who tell me they were initially concerned with Part V but the reality is different.

Is there a list available anywhere of all new social developments, where they have been built or are planned to be built, etc.

A lot of the ones announced seem to be latching 30 or so homes on to the edge of existing estates rather than building completely new ones. Social commentators prattling nonsense about avoiding building "another Ballymun", large estates are exactly what is needed.

Do you think the social housing should remain segregated from everywhere else then?

• Advertisement

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Finding quite a mix of tenants now in social housing, many of whom are working but with those on good salarys now not being able to get mortgages due to a mix of the central bank rules and high values, I guess this is an outcome of those developments.

Does this mean we are getting a mix on new social housing estates, not by design but by default? Probably not planned, but a result indirectly of present circumstances.

This is coming from developers who tell me they were initially concerned with Part V but the reality is different.

I'd have thought that with the income thresholds you would be getting a lower grade of tenant than before. Like, a couple who both work at even low paid jobs are effectively barred from social housing.

No, I think it's a higher grade of tenant than before. Right up to the crash those on very average incomes were able to get mortgages, leaving just social housing to those who didn't work. It is those who are now getting social housing tenancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

There is hardly any land left in the DCC area for mass building of social housing. Now, there has been and will be small scale building on sites with mixed housing (Ballymun is the latest) plus the previously announced big site on Coolock Lane. From this, the only naturally obtainable land for mass housing is in the Fingal and SDCC area for both private and social housing which these days is mostly apartments.

Social housing is not exclusive to the stereotype of those "who don't work", it involves people(single/couple) who work and cannot afford a home in Dublin, this includes people on good wages but cannot afford a home due to high house prices. It also involves people who have disabilities, this part is forgotten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Wonder could we have a situation like in London, where councils like Dun Laoghaire Rathdown pay other councils to house people on their social housing list? Could end up cheaper and more feasible. Any chance of that happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Cal4567 wrote: »

This is far from unusual. I grew up in a Council house, given to a family in the 80s with one working (public sector, lower grades) parent, and later two working parents who eventually bought the place.

It’s not all people on income supplements and jobseekers benefit/allowance, the purpose of social housing is to support a baseline standard of living.

The problem is that economic factors increase the demand at a time when the government has the least money to spend on it, and land prices seem to increase faster than economic recovery can provide for the working class.

We now have some money to build houses, but land prices are already peaking. Mixing the demographics sounds nice and principled, but spending over half a million to house one family in an expensive area is madness when you can house two families elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

No couple on 'good wages' as you called it, are getting social housing in Ireland. Max you can be earning in Dublin is about less than 50k gross, far from a good wage in Dublin. Not far above 2 minimum wage jobs actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Klonker wrote: »
    No couple on 'good wages' as you called it, are getting social housing in Ireland. Max you can be earning in Dublin is about less than 50k gross, far from a good wage in Dublin. Not far above 2 minimum wage jobs actually.

Take a cook and a cleaner where the latter is in a dodgy contract, throw a kid in the mix, you know, people that are genuinely trying their best.
    All the families being housed in the council have in common that they all had children really early and the dad works some demanding job with crap pay while she's at home juggling kids and try getting qualifications from home, funnily enough all care-related.
    They also all have in common that they often don't have their leaving cert and aren't academically gifted but are genuinely trying hard to get it together.
    The odd couple then manage to turn it around completely and as long as the council doesn't change policies I can't blame them for staying put or buying from the council. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

LirW wrote:
    Take a cook and a cleaner where the latter is in a dodgy contract, throw a kid in the mix, you know, people that are genuinely trying their best. All the families being housed in the council have in common that they all had children really early and the dad works some demanding job with crap pay while she's at home juggling kids and try getting qualifications from home, funnily enough all care-related. They also all have in common that they often don't have their leaving cert and aren't academically gifted but are genuinely trying hard to get it together. The odd couple then manage to turn it around completely and as long as the council doesn't change policies I can't blame them for staying put or buying from the council. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

LirW wrote:
    Take a cook and a cleaner where the latter is in a dodgy contract, throw a kid in the mix, you know, people that are genuinely trying their best. All the families being housed in the council have in common that they all had children really early and the dad works some demanding job with crap pay while she's at home juggling kids and try getting qualifications from home, funnily enough all care-related. They also all have in common that they often don't have their leaving cert and aren't academically gifted but are genuinely trying hard to get it together. The odd couple then manage to turn it around completely and as long as the council doesn't change policies I can't blame them for staying put or buying from the council. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

So your saying every single family that has got social house in the last few years the father's working, they have children and the mother's are all studying towards care related qualifications?

Wonder could we have a situation like in London, where councils like Dun Laoghaire Rathdown pay other councils to house people on their social housing list? Could end up cheaper and more feasible. Any chance of that happening?

A good idea but the idea of councils here working together is alien to most. I think if the national civil servants push this, it will happen, but won't be engineered by the councils.

Klonker wrote: »

Replace 'good' with 'average'. Those earners are in social housing.

• Advertisement

Cal4567 wrote:
    Replace 'good' with 'average'. Those earners are in social housing.

I'm sorry but a couple in Dublin earning 25k each gross is not an average wage, it's a low wage, it's not even much above the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Except it's the norm on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

klaaaz wrote: »
    There is hardly any land left in the DCC area for mass building of social housing. Now, there has been and will be small scale building on sites with mixed housing (Ballymun is the latest) plus the previously announced big site on Coolock Lane. From this, the only naturally obtainable land for mass housing is in the Fingal and SDCC area for both private and social housing which these days is mostly apartments.

Social housing is not exclusive to the stereotype of those "who don't work", it involves people(single/couple) who work and cannot afford a home in Dublin, this includes people on good wages but cannot afford a home due to high house prices. It also involves people who have disabilities, this part is forgotten.

This post 100%

People always love to spina yarn about scroungers etc etc

The vast majority of social housing in Dublin has working people in it and many spoofers in here their parents or grandparents came from it and benefited from it.

Pull the ladder up aye...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

shesty wrote: »
    Lusk is getting it too.

There is nowhere to build in Malahide village, but Waterside which is technically Malahide (postal address) but really Swords has plenty of social housing in it, plus there are 2 huge sites close to Waterside for sale which were farms but will be development now and they'll have social housing. Kinsealy is getting social housing too.

Portmarnock has St.Marnocks and Dun Si and social housing in both. Robswalls has some social too (confirmed by F.G. canvas guy during elections).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

klaaaz wrote: »

It's only forgotten by those who are ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There isn't much in St Marnocks and Dun Si by way of direct social housing, less than 6 units apparently but I'm not as familiar with the area as with others. There is a good chunk of buy to rent out there which will have HAP tenants which is social housing too really, but go a bit North for the big fish. It's Donabate and Balbriggan taking the social housing.

Donabate mostly.

One thing I'm curious about though is apartment or estate management/maintenance fees. In an apartment of 400k (under the social housing threshold for Fingal which is 480k) the yearly fee can be as much as 3k. If you're a social tenant, who pays that? Is the cost absorbed by the private tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

why not?

myshirt wrote: »
    There isn't much in St Marnocks and Dun Si by way of direct social housing, less than 6 units apparently but I'm not as familiar with the area as with others. There is a good chunk of buy to rent out there which will have HAP tenants which is social housing too really, but go a bit North for the big fish. It's Donabate and Balbriggan taking the social housing.

Donabate mostly.

I live not too far, and they had to provide 10% of the units under the 480k threshold for "direct" social housing but the buy to let will provide more via Hap as you say.

I admit I'd find it hard to pay 480 and know I was beside someone who paid nothing. (If you are on welfare you pay rent from welfare, so it's free). I just would, sorry but it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The reasons areas are cheaper is often because they are full of social housing.

The reasons areas are more expensive is often because they have zero social housing.

So if the councils enforced a proper mix, it wouldn't add to the cycle

Advertisement