Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy in work canteen passes snide remark about my drink

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Why does everybody have to be so Irish about this? Why can't we just admit that bullying is subtle and that peer pressure is a far stronger force than what we give it credit for. I think a conversation needs to be had about this sort of thing.

Everybody's all talk about stopping bullying forever, but no one wants to discuss the nuances involved in a bully's behavior.

Thanks to your threads of decided to double down on my bullying efforts in work. Fragile people need to be broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I haven't time to read full thread but, in case it hasn't been mentioned.... Blast him with piss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Slap him across the face with a glove and challenge him to a duel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Thanks to your threads of decided to double down on my bullying efforts in work. Fragile people need to be broken
    I did stand up to him. And I made him look like an asshole.

He's the one who decided to start smoking because he's self conscious. So he's really the fragile person.

He's the one who decided to start smoking because he's self conscious. So he's really the fragile person.

Can you work from home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Love this guy :)

There's something very Napoleon Dynamite about his various issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Love this guy :)

There's something very Napoleon Dynamite about his various issues.

In regards to them talking through their hole online? Fair point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Necro wrote: »
    In regards to them talking through their hole online? Fair point :D

Yeah, I suppose. I enjoy the outraged replies though. He's a gas man altogether. A kind of simple version of yer man in Frankfurt living the high life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Honestly, why would you give a fcuk about it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Next time it happens leave the canteen and take a dump on the bonnet of his car. That'll teach him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBqlOAxTWGU

Was this in a creche or something? Just tell him to f*** off and leave it at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There was probably a few at that table looking at more than one asshole.

'probably'

rizzodun wrote: »
    There was probably a few at that table looking at more than one asshole.

'probably'
    How am I an asshole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Guy in work canteen passes snide remark about my drink

"gee is that sparkling water

I just said "that's right dude"

Did this happen in America?

tigerboon wrote: »
    Was this in a creche or something?
    He was acting like it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well if it's not true, where on Earth did I get the idea from so?

Yer hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Damn you are so brave.

Inspirational as hell story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

"So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked "gee is that sparkling water you.........."

And this is why we need conscription in this country , nothing wrong with the FCA or regular army but for the likes of this flouncing around , we need conscription like North Korea with six year term or Israel where you're always a soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I just saw the thread title and spat out a small bit of my tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

So I said to him "you're going to see a lot of people drinking bottles of water in this life, don't feel the need to make a snide remark towards all of them.

You do know Irish people are used to Katie Taylor style epic fights?

Not some over inflated drama in your head that didn't even escalate to pansy slapping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kneemos wrote: »
    retalivity wrote: »
    You deserved a slap for saying 'dude' twice in normal conversation

Who says "gee"?
    Apart from Kermit the Frog, I'm not sure!

OP, you've reinforced the theory that young people cannot handle the slightest of challenges because they've been molycoddled and wrapped up in cotton wool all their lives by their parents.

Toughen up will you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

OP, are you ‘on the spectrum’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

ThinkstockPhotos-523158698.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Let me guess, all these snowflake participants had the usual neck beards, earnings and tattoos or this was not a work canteen but a secondary school one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

The OP should consider writing a screenplay based on the incident.

Someone like Martin Scorsese would be very interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

kneemos wrote: »
    Who says "gee"?

People from the 1920s say it, thankfully language has evolved it's geebag now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

How are we going to sort all of this out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

You should grab his lunch, change the filling for a **** and put it back in the fridge.

When he opens it say "gee you are a tough man eating a **** sandwich"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My head hurts after that!

OP, are you ‘on the spectrum’?
    A lot of armchair psychiatrists these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

A lot of armchair psychiatrists these days.

Maybe, not me though, I don’t believe in that guff. But in your case i’m not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Then what happened?

buckwheat wrote: »
    Then what happened?
    Aren't you going to contribute?

Then what happened?

It cried all the way home and is still hiding under its bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Then what happened?
    Aren't you going to contribute?
    To the tall tale? Maybe they need a hint of what the next chapter might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked "gee is that sparkling water you're
    drinking there". I knew what he was thinking so I just said "that's right dude" and ignored him, just continuing on talking with the person I'd been chatting to. But he then said "God you're a tough man drinking that" and sort of laughed. He said this as he had a can of pepsi in his hand as he was saying this. I thought to myself, gee I'm aware peer pressure is always present and that people might think this way, but this fella just came right on out and actually said it. I said to him "it's a bit much to be making remarks on another person's choice of drink". It's more like something you'd expect as a young teenager.

I took a look around the table and saw that everyone else was also drinking water (even the coolest guy too!), although theirs wasn't sparkling... it looked like the chlorinated tap water in old bottles. So I said to him "you're going to see a lot of people drinking bottles of water in this life, don't feel the need to make a snide remark towards all of them. He'd nothing really to say to that, but yet I didn't think I'd gotten through to him. A few other things were said that I forget, but towards the end I remember he said "put some ribena into it or something for Christ's sake". At this point in time I said to him "alright don't pick a fight over it, you know you're coming across as a control freak now. I could could see one of the girls at the table was nodding in agreement with me as I said this. But he just smirked arrogantly and looked away. Confident little bully he is.

I was considering saying to him "yeah dude I know what ribena tastes like & I'm aware I've that option, but you can't seem to get you're stupid head around the fact that I prefer to drink sparkling water". I also felt like saying to him that maybe I didn't want to end up fat like he is from all the sh1t he eats. And as you'd probably guess, only a smoker would be self conscious enough to think this way, and yes he's a smoker.

His attitude reminds me of the bullying towards the end of this video, where one guy gets a hard time for refusing a drink:

You need to get over yourself. And I say that as someone who's a bit socially awkward and would think more on passing remarks like that than most people would.

Some people are odd and say stupid shít. Ignore them and move on with your life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The real solution is to burn down the canteen OP, then nobody can bother you on your lunch at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I work in a place where in canteen I call the guy next to me a asshole , he calls me a prick , the girl on the other table calls us both a couple of twats . We call her a bitch , we hide each others lunch , shake table to spill each others tea . I'm the immigrant from Wales , another lad we call blacky ....

We all get along just fine ............ the lunch break just flys by. ......
    Wow! I thought child labour was illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked "gee is that sparkling water you're
    drinking there". I knew what he was thinking so I just said "that's right dude" and ignored him, just continuing on talking with the person I'd been chatting to. But he then said "God you're a tough man drinking that" and sort of laughed. He said this as he had a can of pepsi in his hand as he was saying this. I thought to myself, gee I'm aware peer pressure is always present and that people might think this way, but this fella just came right on out and actually said it. I said to him "it's a bit much to be making remarks on another person's choice of drink". It's more like something you'd expect as a young teenager.

I took a look around the table and saw that everyone else was also drinking water (even the coolest guy too!), although theirs wasn't sparkling... it looked like the chlorinated tap water in old bottles. So I said to him "you're going to see a lot of people drinking bottles of water in this life, don't feel the need to make a snide remark towards all of them. He'd nothing really to say to that, but yet I didn't think I'd gotten through to him. A few other things were said that I forget, but towards the end I remember he said "put some ribena into it or something for Christ's sake". At this point in time I said to him "alright don't pick a fight over it, you know you're coming across as a control freak now. I could could see one of the girls at the table was nodding in agreement with me as I said this. But he just smirked arrogantly and looked away. Confident little bully he is.

I was considering saying to him "yeah dude I know what ribena tastes like & I'm aware I've that option, but you can't seem to get you're stupid head around the fact that I prefer to drink sparkling water". I also felt like saying to him that maybe I didn't want to end up fat like he is from all the sh1t he eats. And as you'd probably guess, only a smoker would be self conscious enough to think this way, and yes he's a smoker.

His attitude reminds me of the bullying towards the end of this video, where one guy gets a hard time for refusing a drink:

Assuming this is a genuine thread (and I'm really having to stretch my imagination to the limits to accept it might be), I think you could really benefit from not looking at other peoples actions and interpreting them in the most negative way possible.

Some lad at work made a crap attempt at taking the mick out of you over your choice of drink. He sounds really unfunny, probably fairly socially awkward, but if we are going to start naming that behaviour in isolation as bullying then we are going to a have a very bully-heavy population! Don't take such things personally.

You're comments about why he started smoking again show this tendency to view someone else's actions as negatively as possible. Maybe you are absolutely spot on about why he started smoking. Maybe it was because he was insecure? Maybe he is fragile like you say. Is that a bad thing? Or is it not all the more reason to not let his comments carry any weight whatsoever?

It seems an almighty waste of the limited time we have on earth to be thinking this deeply over what some lad said about your fizzy water.

But who am I to judge, I just spent the last 5 minutes typing out this response :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Lads it seems this whole thread has derailed from the one major issue raised in the OP.

This lad was actually drinking sparkling water ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha, who does he think he is, some kind of tough dude? Ahhhhh ha ha *wipes tears from eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Forgive my ignorance but… I thought it was only the continental’s what drank the sparkling water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP in the bigger scheme of things this isn't a real issue at all. You are going to face a lot worse that this as you make your way through life, you should speak to a therapist and explore what it is about trivial situations that makes you take so personally and gets you so angry and worked out. It could be a great thing and it might help you expose something underneath it which you could work on.

By the way, this is 100% meant as sage advice so please take it as such. I don't have the energy or inclination to make up some stupid "funny" reply like half the people in the thread. Good luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Gonna be long summer holidays this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

OP in the bigger scheme of things this isn't a real issue at all. You are going to face a lot worse that this as you make your way through life, you should speak to a therapist and explore what it is about trivial situations that makes you take so personally and gets you so angry and worked out. It could be a great thing and it might help you expose something underneath it which you could work on.

By the way, this is 100% meant as sage advice so please take it as such. I don't have the energy or inclination to make up some stupid "funny" reply like half the people in the thread. Good luck OP.

That's why you need to nip it in the but straight off and turn the tables on people. Everyone will gladly walk on you if they can at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If you follow him home for the next month he will leave the job. That's what I do.

If he asks you why your following him, look him in the eyes and start laughing hysterically saying " you know why ".

Keep repeating this until he leaves. Problem sorted.

Let me know how that works out for you.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    If you follow him home for the next month he will leave the job. That's what I do.

If he asks you why your following him, look him in the eyes and start laughing hysterically saying " you know why ".

Keep repeating this until he leaves. Problem sorted.

Let me know how that works out for you.

I like this.
    Also I would sent him dead rats in the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That's why you need to nip it in the but straight off and turn the tables on people. Everyone will gladly walk on you if they can at all.

True but you need to find a way to do it and not take the stings so personally. So a little bit of humour back like "of course, try it before you knock it" then walk on or just laugh at them and say "Jaysus you must be bored, nothing but my drink choice to keep you going". OP seems to not be able to brush things off and get on with his day which is why I think talking to someone about whats underneath that is helpful. The world is full of idiots, you need to let it bounce off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Anyways I've done some research, this I feel is a simple matter of mathematics and figured it all out.
    Only pu$$ies drink pepsi - Fact.
    Sparkling water drinkers are marginally tougher than Pepsi drinkers. So the guy in the canteen was right.
    The coolest guy in the canteen must have been drinking still water which we all know makes you cool and toughness doesn't matter when your that cool.
    This is a theory only based on facts, but I do welcome any feedback, criticism or snide remarks.
    I drink 7up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

True but you need to find a way to do it and not take the stings so personally. So a little bit of humour back like "of course, try it before you knock it" then walk on or just laugh at them and say "Jaysus you must be bored, nothing but my drink choice to keep you going". OP seems to not be able to brush things off and get on with his day which is why I think talking to someone about whats underneath that is helpful. The world is full of idiots, you need to let it bounce off you.

In fairness the OP said pretty much that going by the account of things, they're only ranting about it on here. Knocking them out would be far better though and it wouldn't happen again.

The only way to properly humiliate anyone who dares question your choice of drink is to immediately ask them to fetch milk.

Nobody will mess with you again once you're unleashed that level of badassery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement