Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fixture question.

Options
  • 08-06-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, i was just changing a light fitting to a new ikea one and it came with the push in spring connection to connext from the wiring in the ceiling.
    Fitted it that was grand but then i was just thinking that the old fitting screwed to the roof and the wires came through it and then the connection while the new one the fitting just hang from the ceiling via the metal hook that screw up and the cover just slides over when your finished.
    Does the connecter block act as a isolation box or something? Surely ikea stuff would he up to code?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3HC8CeWNPyxuK91B9

Thats the set up. The hole in my ceiling isnt as neat as that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

iamtony wrote: »
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3HC8CeWNPyxuK91B9

Thats the set up. The hole in my ceiling isnt as neat as that one.

I put two of those up in the kitchen. As long as the cables are terminated properly with none of the cores exposed they are fine. Have mine in over a year now.

alta stare wrote: »
    I put two of those up in the kitchen. As long as the cables are terminated properly with none of the cores exposed they are fine. Have mine in over a year now.
    Cool thanks, ive a few others myself installed but never thought of this before now. i know for electrical connections going to sockets they say they have to be enclosed in a box is this not the same for lights?

Cool thanks, ive a few others myself installed but never thought of this before now. i know for electrical connections going to sockets they say they have to be enclosed in a box is this not the same for lights?

Well alot of lights are connected into just a ceiling rose. Take the cover off and the connections are fairly easily got at. Once it is terminated correctly they will be fine.

alta stare wrote: »
    Well alot of lights are connected into just a ceiling rose. Take the cover off and the connections are fairly easily got at. Once it is terminated correctly they will be fine.
    thats what im saying. The ceiling rose has a plastic base that connects directly to the ceiling and the wires come through and the connection is made inside, it like its a junction box in itself. The ikea ones remove this base.
    Im sure it will be fine but im just wondering is it up to code? Are light circuits different from the socket circuits?

• Advertisement

thats what im saying. The ceiling rose has a plastic base that connects directly to the ceiling and the wires come through and the connection is made inside, it like its a junction box in itself. The ikea ones remove this base.
    Im sure it will be fine but im just wondering is it up to code? Are light circuits different from the socket circuits?

Ah yeah it will be fine. I get what your saying about it being up to code and i think there is no issue with them being so.

Advertisement