Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea light fixture no earth

Options
  • 08-06-2019 5:26pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a new Ikea light fixture. It feels like it’s made from metal.

There’s an earth cable where I’ll be mounting it, but I don’t see an earth connection on the fitting and there’s no mention of earth in the manual.

The live and neutral cables enter the fixture via rubber tubing, and are connected inside a plastic box if this makes any difference.

Do I just tape up the end of the earth wire and tuck it away?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

There may be a terminal some where to connect the earth to.

Can you post pictures.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the inside, the insulated cable you can see goes to the plastic box that has the live and neutral connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's probably Class II.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As a rule IKEA know what they are at. If the instruction manual does not show an earth I would doubt that it is required. Just because a light has a conductive metal part does not mean that an earth is always required.

Advertisement