Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect Data on central credit register

• 08-06-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all looking for some advice if possible!

I got my CCR report in February and it showed that I had an active debt with Tesco bank for a very small amount on an old CC that was cancelled.I appealed this and complained and received a letter to say they had incorrectly sent data about me to the CCR and had amended this. They also said they wanted to offer a goodwill gesture on €500 for the incorrect report which I wasn’t expecting at all.

Now this has been offered I am curious if in terms of data breaches does the above sound like a good figure to close out the issue? If a company breaches or gives incorrect information on data are you entitled to money? I just found it strange they offered it when all I have asked they remove incorrect details from the CCR and am waiting for confirmation.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You have three basic options,
    • Take the money and be happy with the unexprested windfall
    • Hire a legal team to sue for a large sum
    • Decline the offer of money, and just go for the corrected entry

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shadow2019

You have three basic options,
    • Take the money and be happy with the unexprested windfall
    • Hire a legal team to sue for a large sum
    • Decline the offer of money, and just go for the corrected entry

Thanks GerardKeating - as long as CCR sounds corrected I’ll be happy! I just found it strange they offered money when I made no reference to looking for anything more than a correction, I’ve no intention of taking anything further I just want the whole thing over with but can imagine data breaches could be a very expensive business if they are handing out GWG of that to anyone with a grievance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Incorrect information on your CCR could cause a lot of issues when it comes to obtaining credit. The offer of compensation is a recognition of this and is likely what you'd receive if you went through an ombudsman complaint. The bank is bypassing this and offering you the compensation up front.

Based on the fact they have you compensation without a protracted complaint process, I would imagine the bank has a considerable number of these complaints and by offering compensation are teeing themselves up to show the FSPO that they dealt with it correctly when raised by customers.

source wrote: »
    Incorrect information on your CCR could cause a lot of issues when it comes to obtaining credit. The offer of compensation is a recognition of this and is likely what you'd receive if you went through an ombudsman complaint. The bank is bypassing this and offering you the compensation up front.

Based on the fact they have you compensation without a protracted complaint process, I would imagine the bank has a considerable number of these complaints and by offering compensation are teeing themselves up to show the FSPO that they dealt with it correctly when raised by customers.[/quote

Thanks for the reply I agree and think they acted in good faith - I’m happy to close off the matter given they acknowledged my original complaint and fixed. I was just curious as I wouldn’t have saw an error like this as something they would offer money for nor was I expecting but I’ll happily accept it and it will go towards my house deposit. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Shadow2019 wrote: »

I got my CCR report in February and it showed that I had an active debt with Tesco bank for a very small amount on an old CC that was cancelled.I appealed this and complained and received a letter to say they had incorrectly sent data about me to the CCR and had amended this. They also said they wanted to offer a goodwill gesture on €500 for the incorrect report which I wasn’t expecting at all.

Now this has been offered I am curious if in terms of data breaches does the above sound like a good figure to close out the issue? If a company breaches or gives incorrect information on data are you entitled to money? I just found it strange they offered it when all I have asked they remove incorrect details from the CCR and am waiting for confirmation.

Thanks!

Hi,

May I ask did you raise the complaint with the bank or via the Central Credit Register?

Thanks

lotsofthegreen

• Advertisement

Hi,

May I ask did you raise the complaint with the bank or via the Central Credit Register?

Thanks

lotsofthegreen

I raised an amendment request in the CCR and received the notice a month later from Tesco confirming the wrong information. I’ve requested another CCR to make sure it’s removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I raised an amendment request in the CCR and received the notice a month later from Tesco confirming the wrong information. I’ve requested another CCR to make sure it’s removed.

Same here.
    On the CCR it said I had overdraft on my bank account of 1200e and I haven't paid any of it over a year.
    But I paid it off within a month of receiving the overdraft closed the overdraft option.
    But the bank never informed them and I only found this out 2 months ago.
    I requested it be removed and they removed it last week so I'm requesting another cert to make sure.
    I was wondering why any loans I was trying to get were getting rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AntFitz

Thanks!

I had the exact same problem. I had something outstanding on a CC from Tesco, which I paid in full in 2015 and closed the account. I found it very strange to find this same CC had entries from 2017 up to 2019 every single month, saying the card was revoked etc. Took me a while to get through to someone from Tesco or AvantCard who they transferred their CC business to a few years ago, because no one had my details on file, I was a ghost in the system apparently, but somehow a CC revoked card was on my Credit History, and updated every month.

Eventually someone from Tesco Bank got on the case and sorted it just this morning. I got a phone call to say they have rectified the errors on my Credit history and offered me €500.

So as someone said earlier, this must be a common issue with a lot of customers for Tesco, and I'm pretty sure there are many customers out there who have these errors and are unaware how its effecting their access to credit.

Advertisement