Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

people, mainly Irish, who cannot pronounce their "H"s.

i once shared a house with a lad from Co. Monaghan. every Sunday & Thursday evening he would informl us he was going for his "bat".
    (didn't know he was into Baseball or Cricket i thought.)
    whenever we had a discussion on anything and he disagreed with our viewpiont, he would call it a "mit". (why is he was so obsessed by kids' gloves, i mused)
    one evening we were deciding how to pay the fuel bill which was quite high after all his "bats", he proposed we each put a "turd" on the table.

i found alternative accommodation soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

i once shared a house with a lad from Co. Monaghan. every Sunday & Thursday evening he would informl us he was going for his "bat".
    whenever we had a discussion on anything and he disagreed with our viewpiont, he would call it a "mit". (why is he was so obsessed by kids' gloves, i mused)
    one evening we were deciding how to pay the fuel bill which was quite high after all his "bats", he proposed we each put a "turd" on the table.

Accent,

It's called an accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

^^

It is an accent. Also it also originates from the the fact you do not pronounce "th" in Gaelic and it has just carried on for generations.

My 7 years old son has mocked me over it (I live in England and he has grown up English) and to be fair after 10 years in England and with a public facing job my "th" is a lot better than most Irish people. But I do get a little self conscious if I have to say '3' or God help me '33' or a 'third'- I break out in sweats...:(

As I like to retort- the English stole our 'th'.

Bet your flatmate knew how to capitalise his sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A tectonic plate of a spot forming on my chin. My whole face literally aches because of it.

I've a massive coldsore right mid lip.
    It actually looks like a stud piercing :(

To thine own self be true

People who needlessly put an s on the end of the name of a shop or Supermarket. It's okay if shop is somebody's surname, even if they don't include an apostrophe themselves (Dunne's, Roche's, Cleary's etc), but the great unwashed who insist on calling it Tesco's. :mad:

I've heard others say it's because it ends in a vowel.......Oh yeah? I'm just gonna pop down to the old Esso's gargae, then, you know?.....the one with the Centra's in the back of it.

Just now I saw a post which referenced "Lidl's and Aldi's" :confused:

Dis, Dat, Dees and Doughs

Dats the way dee TH go-wizz :pac:

Every time I hear an English person pronounce 6th as 'sikth' I die a little inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

^^

It is an accent. Also it also originates from the the fact you do not pronounce "th" in Gaelic and it has just carried on for generations.

My 7 years old son has mocked me over it (I live in England and he has grown up English) and to be fair after 10 years in England and with a public facing job my "th" is a lot better than most Irish people. But I do get a little self conscious if I have to say '3' or God help me '33' or a 'third'- I break out in sweats...:(

As I like to retort- the English stole our 'th'.

Bet your flatmate knew how to capitalise his sentences.

Reminds me of my Londoner friend whenever I see him

Him: "Hey Tacitus - say fwree mate"

Me: "Free"

Him: "Naww, the numbah - fwree"

Me: "fuck off you oblivious cunt"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I've a massive coldsore right mid lip.
    It actually looks like a stud piercing :(
    You poor thing!

Reminds me of my Londoner friend whenever I see him

Him: "Hey Tacitus - say fwree mate"

Me: "Free"

Him: "Naww, the numbah - fwree"

Me: "fuck off you oblivious cunt"

I was on my J1 in Boston years ago (actually over 20 years now) it became a running joke by the American guys to get me to say:

"They are always after me lucky charms."

I think I did it just the once and they pissed themselves laughing. Another time my supervisor was a bit pissed off with us (I was the only Irish guy) for something and just to break the tension I said in my thickest Irish accent. It worked- the boss just burst his hole and said: "You guys just crack me up" and off he went laughing away.

FYI in case you didn't know- it relates to a breakfast cereal ad and a leprechaun who says it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I had a housemate in college called Cathy, another of our housemates repeatedly called her Catty despite being told about 100 times that Catty wasn't her name.

People dropping the "h" in words doesn't usually bother me, but hearing the way he said her name was the most irritating, grating thing ever. By the end of the semester I was correcting him on it too because I couldn't bear the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Accent,

It's called an accent.

In the midlands it’s called a “haccent”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

People who needlessly put an s on the end of the name of a shop or Supermarket. It's okay if shop is somebody's surname, even if they don't include an apostrophe themselves (Dunne's, Roche's, Cleary's etc), but the great unwashed who insist on calling it Tesco's. :mad:

I've heard others say it's because it ends in a vowel.......Oh yeah? I'm just gonna pop down to the old Esso's gargae, then, you know?.....the one with the Centra's in the back of it.

Well...they may be visiting several Tescos in the plural...:D but still an apostrophe is not required.

I have already pulled an OP elsewhere for writing the greatest hits of the "90's".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Bredabe

We had a power cut last night and this morning, the result is that the office is cold and so is the water.

One of the students is loudly demaning that she is allowed go home as she cant wash her hands in freezing water, she cant stand being 'dirty' and why cant someone' fix it?.

TA she'll probablay get away with doing home for the rest of the day and one of us will have to work till 8am to cover.

we are not in the middle of nowhere, there are baby wipes and other sinks within walking distance.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Speaking of accents, and sorry to anyone from Cavan but your one from Cavan on the Aldi ad. Lord have mercy she’d put the skids through you

Edit: omg just as I was writing this the ad came on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Gave a mate a hoverboard for his daughter for Christmas..I wanted a fiver... nothing more...and instead he got me 6 cans of rank Polish beer ....ah well..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Speaking of accents, and sorry to anyone from Cavan but your one from Cavan on the Aldi ad. Lord have mercy she’d put the skids through you

Spooky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dis, Dat, Dees and Doughs

Dats the way dee TH go-wizz :pac:

Every time I hear an English person pronounce 6th as 'sikth' I die a little inside.

How do you pronounce it?

Maurice the phantom mouse. Discovered his presence by accident, half-eaten spud that escaped the bag. All doors now shut in the house, need to rummage through each room to isolate him. Bastard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They'd be correct if they used it with names, surnames, or with professions (chemist, baker, butcher, greengrocer, etc) because the "'s" would be used as Saxon genitive, i.e. to indicate "the shop belonging to". LIDL, ALDI and TESCO aren't in this category, though, while Clery and Dunne (mind you, Dunnes is the name of the chain, though) are. It would be interesting to see if they ever had an apostrophe.

Maurice the phantom mouse. Discovered his presence by accident, half-eaten spud that escaped the bag. All doors now shut in the house, need to rummage through each room to isolate him. Bastard.

Entice him with Polish sausage (not a euphemism! ) They can't resist the stuff. Poor Maurice. He's probably a field mouse and came in to get warm (and eat a spud )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

There was a Carlovian chef on the afternoon show with Daithi last week and I don't think she pronounced a t once in the whole piece, 'just fill it up with waher there' :o

Poor Maurice indeed. Missed the champagne reception, so he'll receive a belt of the hurl instead. And if the filthy wretch skips out on a hot date with death, he's welcome to warm himself in the nearest sewer.

You're a cruel, cruel man, Bertie.

Poor Maurice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

We are willing to be flexible but generally we find a hearty boot to the coccyx delivers the best value for money.

Do you provide pointed toe options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Do you provide pointed toe options?

I believe it’s a wingtip.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,504 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My TA is that we risk having the ICRR going under within days (rescue helicopter service in Cork). I can't get over how they have made appeals to raise 400k but haven't even yet reached 12k!!!!

You often see people setting up Go Fund Me pages for very trivial things and easily reaching their targets but a community air ambulance service is being snubbed by the public!?! I just can't understand it. This is a service that people were crying out for and now that they have it and it needs their support, they are nowhere to be seen.

I've submitted by donation and I really hope more people will start donating. It's a service you hope you or your loved ones will never need but it's good to have just in case.

They have already saved in excess of 200 lives since they went operational in July of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Seanachai wrote: »
    There was a Carlovian chef on the afternoon show with Daithi last week

Flippin' immigrants taking Irish chefs' jobs. She should feck off back to Carlovia...

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How do you pronounce it?

With an x, rather than a K.

So, sicksth as opposed to sikth. Think of how you say six and add -th, whereas I noticed someone say it like sick with a -th on the end. Now it's absolutely ubiquitous and I cannot unhear it. Everyone on English TV does it..... Its the same as all the RTÉ wenches who call the guards 'the gore-THEE".

With an x, rather than a K.

So, sicksth as opposed to sikth

Oh yeah. I see what you mean, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

My TA is that we risk having the ICRR going under within days (rescue helicopter service in Cork). I can't get over how they have made appeals to raise 400k but haven't even yet reached 12k!!!!

You often see people setting up Go Fund Me pages for very trivial things and easily reaching their targets but a community air ambulance service is being snubbed by the public!?! I just can't understand it. This is a service that people were crying out for and now that they have it and it needs their support, they are nowhere to be seen.

I've submitted by donation and I really hope more people will start donating. It's a service you hope you or your loved ones will never need but it's good to have just in case.

They have already saved in excess of 200 lives since they went operational in July of last year.

That's a shame. What is their fundraising page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Incomplete/misleading news reports.

I heard a report on the radio that someone was crowing about hospital waiting lists having 10,000 fewer people on them this month than last. So? I'd suspect given that since it was the Christmas period it's probably more down to fewer people being added to the list than normal, rather than people being taken off it. Given the time of year there's probably more people on the lists dying than average too.

Also the report said there was almost 600,000 on the lists, so 10,000 doesn't seem like a big chunk.

Going to need a lot more information/clarification before anyone gets credit, but I suspect we'll see a lot more of this bull**** with talk of elections in the air.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Guy Person wrote: »

Thanks for that. Must donate to them.

Thanks for that. Must donate to them.

Now you're giving me a TH :D

Now you're giving me a TH :D

You're welcome! Hopefully they'll raise the full amount. Worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

My TA is the constant use of the word "Sustainable". Every time I listen to any discussion on the radio this word invariably pops up, usually several times. I remember the phrase " Grass roots" in the 1970s was a constant irritant, and "Sustainable / Unsustainable" is the annoying word these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alecto wrote: »
    You'd cry if you met my mother or my sister. Everything is about veggies and chillaxing and it's yummy and fab and brill.

They are what the young people call ''basic bitches''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve been going for walks every day now for the last week and a half and I still don’t have abs. Come on, show yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Psychopathic , narcissistic people , enough is enough , just take a long walk off a short pier please fffs .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Psychopathic , narcissistic people , enough is enough , just take a long walk off a short pier please fffs .

Or a plank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Omackeral wrote: »
    Or a plank?

Lol , thanks for that laugh Mack :D

I got a mouth guard for martial arts and decided to try to fit it tonight but unfortunately I have a severe gag reflex and puked my guts up when it was in my mouth. It's too long and now I must see if it is possible to get a custom made one. From looking online, it would appear that I would be looking at €85 upwards. :rolleyes:

I got a mouth guard for martial arts and decided to try to fit it tonight but unfortunately I have a severe gag reflex and puked my guts up when it was in my mouth. It's too long and now I must see if it is possible to get a custom made one. From looking online, it would appear that I would be looking at €85 upwards. :rolleyes:

You'll just have to set up a go fund page for it!!

You'll just have to set up a go fund page for it!!

:D I'll have to ask the ICRR for my donation back :p

Ugh that feckin' how do you like your steak thread. Not because I care how anyone likes their steak, each to their own but because everytime I see it I get this stupid song stuck in my head ..
    How do you like your eggs in the mornin'...

Ugh that feckin' how do you like your steak thread. Not because I care how anyone likes their steak, each to their own but because everytime I see it I get this stupid song stuck in my head ..
    How do you like your eggs in the mornin'...

I like my mine with a kiiiiiiiissss.

Also sorry for starting that thread. A big mis-steak.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I like my mine with a kiiiiiiiissss.

Also sorry for starting that thread. A big mis-steak.

I suspected I'd get a smart alec response from you! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My TA is rude people in supermarkets. I was at my local Dunnes a few weeks ago. I went to the till to pay for my groceries. I filled a big black trolley with them. As I when I was filling the conveyor belt up with them; this older affluent blonde wan decides to leave me struggling on the conveyor belt with her having all of her groceries on there first even though I was there before her. I was left standing there f*cking amazed by her rudeness to it all. F*ck me; people lately have no sense of manners for other people around them. I had to physically put my hand on the 'next customer please' sign in front of her groceries to actually hand up the rest of my groceries up to the cashier who was manning the till. I didn't actually say anything to her after the incident but I should have done it just to see her squirm. Miserable bint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

At the moment I get a bus with a lot of school kids and every second word is 'Like', "Like I was talking to Luke Like and like he said like we cant like go to the like casino unless we like dress like the others like" If you're not from Cork you're not allowed use this ye D4 planks

21/25

uch wrote: »
    If you're not from Cork you're not allowed use this ye D4 planks

That’s C4 like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Cnuts that keep saying physically, literally or unreal...
    I was physically sick to my stomach.
    I was literally dying.
    It was an unreal experience.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement