Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

I saw it at the weekend, great show but my ta is that the seat beside me was free until about 15 mins in when some dose arrived in and plonked herself in it.
    I had been congratulating myself on my luck prior to her arrival.

Hate that happens! Hope she wasn't munching loudly on grub throughout the film as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Apologies for being old school!!

TA, saw 1917 today. At a particular point, someone's mobile rang!! Very annoying!

When the brigadier general rings, you answer.. even if you're knee deep in the trenches with the Kaiser and the bosche !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

People smoking in their car and driving slow as they puff away on their smokes. Nearly as bad as those on the mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I turned on a film a mere 20 minutes ago, and in that time my dog has barked to go out of the room and come back in not once, not twice, but three times.
    Every time I sit down he’s whining to get out and two minutes later he’s whining to come back in.
    Can’t leave the door open cause my brother is playing piano in the next room.
    God give me patience.

Floppybits wrote: »
    People smoking in their car and driving slow as they puff away on their smokes. Nearly as bad as those on the mobile phone.

And more so, if there's kids in the car.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I turned on a film a mere 20 minutes ago, and in that time my dog has barked to go out of the room and come back in not once, not twice, but three times.
    Every time I sit down he’s whining to get out and two minutes later he’s whining to come back in.

Are you 100% sure it's actually a dog that you have?

I mean, it doesn't look like this, does it?

11.10.16-People-Are-Doing-a-Double-Take-Over-This-Cat-Who-Looks-Like-a-Dog0.jpg

TA when you come here to post and someone else has posted similar lol.

I was stopped at the lights today when I looked in the mirror a wan in the car behind was lightning up her cigarette,she a had a girl of about 11 or 12 yrs old in the passenger seat.In all fairness that's just so selfish, I do smoke myself but never in my car and never around children,how could you inflict that on a child.

TA when you come here to post and someone else has posted similar lol.

I was stopped at the lights today when I looked in the mirror a wan in the car behind was lightning up her cigarette,she a had a girl of about 11 or 12 yrs old in the passenger seat.In all fairness that's just so selfish, I do smoke myself but never in my car and never around children,how could you inflict that on a child.

Your wan probably opened her window and blew the smoke out so in her head there's no issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Blatant lies in adverts.

Just seen a Ryanair one on tv, saying they try to fill every seat on each plane cos they care about the environment.

Is that Ryanair? Sure it's not about profits?

If you cared about the environment you wouldn't be offering millions of people the opportunity to buy cheap flights to places they would never have considered going to if it wasn't for the cheap seats.

Stop your lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Drivers who stop at least a meter from the solid white line and still think they can see whats coming left and right.

Pull up to the line ya gob****e, it's positioned there for a reason.

• Advertisement

Declined my mams offer of ordering me something from the Chinese, as I’m trying to watch my weight.
    Proceeded to eat the entire bag of free prawn crackers while standing in the kitchen just before I went to bed at half 12.
    Full of regrets and I feel absolutely disgusting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

it seems to be a new thing that people can’t spell the word guards and every time I see it I think of them saying it in a D4 goooords accent and thinking ah ya, it has to be a before u then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Declined my mams offer of ordering me something from the Chinese, as I’m trying to watch my weight.
    Proceeded to eat the entire bag of free prawn crackers while standing in the kitchen just before I went to bed at half 12.
    Full of regrets and I feel absolutely disgusting now.

Never regret what you've already done, just try to not repeat it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

That McDonalds ad,where your one is sitting on a bus bench.

The older one leans right over and breathes on the wrap.It just makes me feel sick and annoyed for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

That's terrible. Glad you're ok. You should email the council and complain.

Yeah ! get a sheet of cardboard and send them a stiff note ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

How everyone seems to be driving slowly when you are late for work. And how is there still mental traffic at 09:45 - is everyone else in Dublin late too or is the place just so sh*t now that you can't move at any time? Really giving serious thought to relocating. Job is the only thing keeping me here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

TA my car failed the nct. Even more TA that I don’t understand what he’s telling me when he’s explaining why it failed. “So that scratchy rattle you’ve been hearing, that’s what’s causing that”. I’m like, “oh yeah, is that what’s causing it”

TA I never heard no scratchy rattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Super-TA'd at people who don't clean the bloody toilet bowl after them. There should be a special place in hell for such lazy, inconsiderate cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

When we send something to the office printer we bring our keycards and tap it to logon and you can print and collect your stuff. It works perfectly. Simple and fast

We were also told to do this by the bosses as people were sending stuff to the printer and forgetting about it and leaving it out there for all to see for hours or even overnight. That's an information security risk and the bosses hate that.

But some people consider the 5 seconds it takes to tap their keycard too long and so overrode this system and send straight to the printer

I hate when I'm standing there printing a huge batch of documents and someone strolls over and wants me to search for their pages. Now I have to flick through over 100 of my pages to find yours because you were lazy. And some even say to me "did you take my page?" as if I'm in the wrong??

Use the godamned system! Is a TA of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Dumb arses who do not know how to drive on really narrow roads. That gap you just passed is called a passing place. The clue is in the name.
    Its there for you to pull in and let me get by. And the dumberer arse who then drove up behind you a few mins later thus preventing you from reversing to the gap deserves shooting.

The two muppets above expected me to reverse 300meters and on to a main road ... it was a great shouting match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Rogueish wrote: »
    I've done an epic food prep session for the week ahead and my kitchen looks like it's been burglarized. The dishwasher will be looking for double time when finished.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :mad:

Use of that word trivially annoyerizers me.

A few TAs just on the way into work.

Brid Smiths patronising face on her election posters. More like, "come in and have a cuppa" than "I'll sort out the country".

Another election poster beside hers with just "Vote Rebecca" on it. Literally nothing else. No surname, no party name. I suspect it is Rebecca Moynihan as I have seen other posters around with her name but still, not even a false promise on your poster? You could be anyone!

No water to clean my windscreen this morning.

Have to drop the other half to the luas early in the mornings and arrive back at the house at 6am. If I go back to bed, it takes an hour to sleep again and then I end up not dragging myself out of bed until 8am, and being late for work. If I don't go back to bed, the morning is endless and I end up at work too early. There is no middle ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People who post the first reply to a thread and feel the need to quote the OP. especially when it is a really long OP.

Some pregnancy TAs. Have literally grown overnight so have gone from worrying about not showing to worrying I will have to birth a monster.

Bending has become a new challenge so anything that falls now is consigned to the floor until May.

I was warned about unsolicited "advice" and to be honest I wouldn't really mind advice, as I can take it on or disregard as I want and people tend to be well meaning. However this particular person in my office feels she can make absolute declarations as if they are statements of fact. For example, if I mention my little dog it's all, "oh just wait until the baby comes along, that dog will be put in her place" or "oh she will be second best when that child is born now" etc. I feel like telling her to shut her pie hole to be honest. First, it isn't a competition, everyone knows a child is more important than a dog. Second, that isn't actually relevant at all. I'm hardly going to be sitting at home tossing a coin trying to choose between them. Dog is dog, baby is baby. When she brought it up last week I just said, "the heart grows, I've enough room in my heart to love both and I certainly won't love my dog any less just because I have a child" and she went on "oh just wait and see now, you'll eat those words". :mad:

That and her daily declarations about gestational diabetes every time I eat a biscuit.

I honestly don't mind people offering advice and saying, "look, in my opinion" etc. but this thing of making absolute declarations as if you have a crystal f*cking ball and can see that come May my dog will be slung out the back garden and I will no longer love her, is just maddening and I wish bad things on her now.

Also TA hormones and inability to be rational when annoyed. :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Antares35 wrote: »
    Some pregnancy TAs.
    1. Grand plié.
    2. Tell her your love for the dog won't decrease, but your hatred for her is increasing exponentially every time she opens her gob.
    3. Even better, punch her on the nose and blame the pregnancy hormones. No jury would convict you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mikemac2 wrote: »
    But some people consider the 5 seconds it takes to tap their keycard too long and so overrode this system and send straight to the printer.

They're the very same people who sit there blissfully unaware that there's been a paper jam midway through their 500-page magnum opus so you go over to swipe and collect your one-page document, fix the jam, then stand there losing the will to live as it resumes printing (one-sided, of course) at page 257.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

TA that I'm trying to organise to move house, county and job all at once and it's becoming a nightmare.

It started with the house.

House 1:
    Agent showed us around the house, we were happy with it - it suited our needs down to the ground. She wanted to meet us at the weekend to get the keys and sign the contract, we had the deposit and the first month's rent paid immediately. The evening prior to the morning of the appointment to sign the contract, the landlord over the house pulled out, and said we couldn't take the house. She was nervous in case we wouldn't afford it in the long run.

The agent said not to panic, there was another house with almost the exact same description ready to take. So we agreed to a viewing, and we had the money already paid for so we weren't worried financially.

House 2:
    15 minutes away from the viewing, on a Friday, in the middle of driving down, another member of the agency rang us and said they can't show us the house because the previous tenant hadn't handed in the keys. So we agreed to reschedule it for the following Monday. Monday came and we got an email saying if it's okay for us to reschedule it for Wednesday. We said we're both working and wouldn't be available until that weekend.

On Wednesday she said that they'd be showing the house to other people, and if the house is still available afterwards, she'd get back to us.
    We just wrote an email declining any more updates and requested our money back. We felt our time was wasted.

What really annoyed us the most is that we both managed to get days off work the day we were on our way to view it

House 3:
    The agent of the latest house we found was a right príck. And we lost interest almost as quickly as we gained it.

We emailed him and said we were interested in the house, could we view it Saturday.

He emailed back "Can you come to see the house tomorrow? (today)"
    We said "unfortunately we can only do it Saturday as we'll be in work all week"

He said "I'll be at the house at half 12 tomorrow."...... in other words "if you're not at the house tomorrow, then tough shít"

I'm all over the shop. Our job schedules are not in sync with any of these people and I feel like they aren't respecting our time. They want us to view these houses first thing in the morning and we realistically can't do it.

In regards to work I'm currently waiting on word back from a place I've already had an interview for, to go for training, and the week is almost up and I'm starting to get anxious. I've already applied for other places but they haven't gotten back to me and this current place really suits what I'm qualified to do.

I've been a wreck the last few weeks and my doofus head can't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bagels that aren’t already pre cut when you buy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

TA, I sat up late in bed last night watching Adam Ant interviews on Youtube so I slept in. No time to do anything with my hair so I have to wear a hat and when I drive the bobble is jammed up against the headrest.
    When a bag of mixed nuts is more walnuts than the other types.

People who are lazy about driving. Three that I know of come to mind.

1. My OH. 37 years old and still doesn't know how to drive. I know this is sexist but for some reason I find it more pathetic in a man than a woman. Don't know why. That any man would be happy to park his bum in the passenger seat indefinitely while his partner is designated driver is just beyond me. Anyway, since we have a kid on the way I've given him a kick up the hole and he is learning now because I will have enough to be doing in a few months without carting him around everywhere.

2. Friend of mine, also male, same age. Been threatening to learn for years. "Oh I am getting lessons for my birthday" etc. Never happens. Complains when we meet up somewhere not close to his house because he "has to get 2 buses" etc. I have stopped inviting him to stay over after dinners, parties etc. because invariably the next day he will expect a lift home which is a 2 hour round trip for (hungover) me.

3. My mother. The other side of it. Has had a license 40 odd years. Basically since my Dad retired, she has given up driving, letting him do it all. To the point that being in the car when she does have to drive is like being with a learner. When he had an accident while they were away, she was scuppered because she "couldn't" drive anywhere. Pathetic.

Why are some people so lazy when it comes to driving? Fair enough if you make a choice to not do it, and use a bike or buses etc. fine, but to decide you won't do it but still expect to be chauffeured around everywhere is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why are some people so lazy when it comes to driving? Fair enough if you make a choice to not do it, and use a bike or buses etc. fine, but to decide you won't do it but still expect to be chauffeured around everywhere is just ridiculous.

The main reason I know is financial. Well generally younger people.
    One thing that really annoyed me when I was around 18 was.
    I had friends who's parents bought them cars, paid for lessons, insurance, etc.
    For some reason they couldn't understand why others weren't driving because it was so easy. Obvious thing change when you become more financially independent.

The other reason is a mixture of fear and nervousness. IE they might kill somebody or they may have had a bad experience when they attempted to learn.
    I do think some people just don't have that confidence that others have and they simply hate driving.

By the way the main reason why people are chauffeured around is because they are people willing to do it for them and most people prefer it over a bus, etc.
    If your not happy to do this your better off not offering or saying you can't give them a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

1. My OH. 37 years old and still doesn't know how to drive. I know this is sexist but for some reason I find it more pathetic in a man than a woman. Don't know why. That any man would be happy to park his bum in the passenger seat indefinitely while his partner is designated driver is just beyond me. Anyway, since we have a kid on the way I've given him a kick up the hole and he is learning now because I will have enough to be doing in a few months without carting him around everywhere.

2. Friend of mine, also male, same age. Been threatening to learn for years. "Oh I am getting lessons for my birthday" etc. Never happens. Complains when we meet up somewhere not close to his house because he "has to get 2 buses" etc. I have stopped inviting him to stay over after dinners, parties etc. because invariably the next day he will expect a lift home which is a 2 hour round trip for (hungover) me.

3. My mother. The other side of it. Has had a license 40 odd years. Basically since my Dad retired, she has given up driving, letting him do it all. To the point that being in the car when she does have to drive is like being with a learner. When he had an accident while they were away, she was scuppered because she "couldn't" drive anywhere. Pathetic.

One of my former work colleagues doesn't drive, but neither does his entire family. Now they live in the town so it isn't too bad, but they are still at the mercy of public transport if they want to go anywhere. He is currently looking for a new job, but his options are limited to places accessible by bus or train, which as we all know wouldn't be the best in Ireland.

It's kind of sad really.

My TA: the OH getting SO into the "new year, new you" mantra that it's getting unbearable. 101 lifestyle changes all at once, that even if I look at a cup of tea, I'm chastised :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm the type of person that never asks for lifts anywhere, and would rather commute public transport to get around far locations, or walk. It's stress free for me, personally. What I hate is when someone offers me lifts, and I accept it, they hold it against me in future.

It was pissing rain one day and I was about to walk home from work when I got a phone call asking me if I wanted a lift home. I said no I'll be fine - I'm wrapped up and it's not a far walk. (Half an hour isn't far, as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't bother me in the slightest), and they'd pick me up anyway. Okay, thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

But then it happened to rain all week, and I kept getting collected without me asking, then on, about, the 3rd or 4th day, they said "you're gonna have to learn to start ringing taxis or just buy an umbrella. I'm too tired after work to be driving around after people. You're an adult, you need to start being independent"

I'm like "I did not once ask you to pick me up, nor do I expect it. I don't mind walking home whether it's rain, hail or snow. I'm well-wrapped, I have my earphones, I'm comfortable, it's not a problem" Then I get told "well just walk home then, you're an adult"

WHAT???

TA: Mammies. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

I have to vote Fianna Fáil :(

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »

I'd spoil my vote before I'd vote FF.

People in this country have bewilderingly short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

People who feel obliged to vote for certain political parties due to family / historical allegiance.

Grow a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There has been a Bart Simpson wannabe teenager on a skateboard right outside work for the last hour. The noise of him wheeling towards the obstacle he is trying to jump onto, and the subsequent bang of the board off the ground when he fails (again) is wafting upstairs, and it's slowly driving me insane.

People who feel obliged to vote for certain political parties due to family / historical allegiance.

Grow a pair.

Well it’s secret ballot so I don’t think growing a pair applies!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Feisar wrote: »

Why.Is someone holding a gun to your head

Accidentally signing off a work email with "kind "ret*rds" instead of "kind regards" :(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Accidentally signing off a work email with "kind "ret*rds" instead of "kind regards" :(:(:(:(

freudian slip?

freudian slip?

Absolutely :pac: Still feel terrible though. Hoping they quickly proof read it and didn't notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just realised I'll be away for the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Young wans pushing a cot or pram along a bicycle lane.

Just got my car insurance renewal and it's more than 200 quid more expensive than last year for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

My tax is also up at the end of this month. Serious wodge of money to be handed over for a car I barely drive any more.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Why.Is someone holding a gun to your head

No, was in the house the other day and there was a knock on the door, FF canvassers. Told them my opinion that FF/FG are about the same and about as useful as each other. In a small open economy our local politics are meaningless and the decisions made by big corporations has a greater impact on our lives than what bunch hold power in the Dáil. They could tell they were wasting their time so they went off and I wished them all the best.
    Back into kitchen and told my wife who was at the door and I started on about how I wouldn't be voting for anyone as it was an exercise in futility. Fair enough she says however yer man, the FF lad done a load of stuff for her when she was involved in Pieta House.

Odd feeling of compulsion has come over me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

My cutlery is vanishing.
    I just opened the drawer and I have two teaspoons, four forks, but a massive amount of knives :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

TA at my sister’s Whatsapp updates on her 20 year old cat’s health. Apparently the cat has an overactive thyroid. Fascinating, I think, whilst gobbling my daily tablets that are beating back cancer. A little self-awareness, sis, please? I’m fed up thinking about my own health. I have no mental space available to care about an elderly cat’s thyroid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd spoil my vote before I'd vote FF.

People in this country have bewilderingly short memories.

Just wondering, why is this?

My TA is that we forget our history - that FF were elected on their policies by the people the year before the crash. Every other party was screaming that more money needed to be spent!

FF happened to be in government (because we put them there) when the global crash came and hit our small open economy - to say they caused the crash is nonsense.

It's also forgotten that 2009 to 2011 FF made the really tough cuts to the budget (two thirds of requured government corrections were made prior to 2011) that set the base for growth to happen again - compare to Greece, Portugal and Spain where the governments in power didn't make the same budget adjustments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Just wondering, why is this?

My TA is that we forget our history - that FF were elected on their policies by the people the year before the crash. Every other party was screaming that more money needed to be spent!

FF happened to be in government (because we put them there) when the global crash came and hit our small open economy - to say they caused the crash is nonsense.

It's also forgotten that 2009 to 2011 FF made the really tough cuts to the budget (two thirds of requured government corrections were made prior to 2011) that set the base for growth to happen again - compare to Greece, Portugal and Spain where the governments in power didn't make the same budget adjustments.

Thanks for the history lesson Bertie/ Brian, not sure which one of you it is, but good to know that FF were completely blameless for bankrupting the country

My TA for today is lazy co-workers. In the time it spent a person to write an email about why they shouldn't have to do a task, they could have just done the fcuking task

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement