Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

For some reason, my phone has started recording my steps and displaying them on my lock screen.
    I never have my phone on my person, so can't even see the true figure.. Plus I'm a lazy sod too.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I suppose I just found your post difficult to read, its only a few weeks since the death of another celebrity through suicide and I thought it might awaken a bit of awareness when we judge people we simply don't know. Even celebrities have a private life. Nobody knows what goes on in a marriage and I doubt if Paula leaving Bob made her life better.... all things considered.

I lost a child myself so I related a lot to Bob's description of pain and loss (on Tommy Tiernan's show). I was simply saying sometimes its better to say nothing. I was not on any moral high horse and I am just back from a lovely day hiking the mountains so my day wasn't that empty. :)
    That isn't what you said in your response to my post. You have my deepest sympathy on the death of your child, I can't begin to imagine your grief. However when celebrities court public and social media attention it doesn't get switched off. I was talking about the upcoming RTE programme where Bob is ranting about how important the Boomtown rats where to reflecting Irish society. Now I don't like hypocrisy so a lecture from a rich Irish man who lives in Britain and who accepted a Knighthood doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

That isn't what you said in your response to my post. You have my deepest sympathy on the death of your child, I can't begin to imagine your grief. However when celebrities court public and social media attention it doesn't get switched off. I was talking about the upcoming RTE programme where Bob is ranting about how important the Boomtown rats where to reflecting Irish society. Now I don't like hypocrisy so a lecture from a rich Irish man who lives in Britain and who accepted a Knighthood doesn't sit well with me.

Im sure he’s devastated to hear your views. You and similar Bono bashers are tedious. Now, stop detailing the thread, you’ve made your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Jim Root wrote: »
    Im sure he’s devastated to hear your views. You and similar Bono bashers are tedious. Now, stop detailing the thread, you’ve made your point.
    Yet you seem to feel you have some entitlement to try to moderate what I say. You don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Someone arrives at the door of your home just after you have cleaned the house from top to bottom - some folk either don't think it good manners to routinely wipe their feet in the door mats provided in porch and just inside main entrance and are completely oblivious that they've left a trail or deposits of mud/grass/loose grit on carpet all over where they've walked. I get that a person may not always realise that they may have dirt stuck to bottom of their footwear but it's no harm to wipe your feet anyway when you enter someone's home/premises.

Okay, so you're on public transport and some individual thinks it's "Ay, Okay" to sit down and breathe something strong like for example: Tayto cheese & onion flavour crisps, monster munch or garlic breath into the atmosphere - they must know it can be overwhelming for those who may not be able to escape on a full bus until they reach their stop.

People who think it's ok to stick their Feet on Seats - One guy decides to change his clothes on a coach load private passengers and he only sticks his socked feet -(white socks looked soiled) between gap in seats of passenger sitting in front of him. I've seen this happen in cinema auditoriums from time to time as well. Some guys have no shame whatsoever if they think this is ok - Nobody wants to get stuck with someone's smelly feet lingering!

I truly understand someone ruining the carpet. Anytime I visit someone's home I take my shoes off, which brings about odd looks from them,heh.Now if only visitors to my home would extend the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Out of interest was it a crowd or poor stock or both?

The type of crowd.
    They could be extras in the Walking Dead if they were dressed better.

Yet you seem to feel you have some entitlement to try to moderate what I say. You don't.

Correct, however your views aren’t being aired in a vacuum so you can’t get all uppity when people think your talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yes I do think it's appropriate to confront people who take a holier than thou approach and try to dictate what I should think and say. This is supposed to be trivial things that annoy you thread, it's not for other posters to lecture what anyone else should feel think or say on any given matter. I've accepted your warning but perhaps you might like to warn the poster I was responding to about backseat moderating.

If you want people to respect you, post respectably. It's s simple as that.

The posts you refer to have been deleted.

Leave the modding to the mods folks.

Poor Bob Geldof doesn't know what he started :)

TA at the kind of spite and vitriol people are capable of.

• Advertisement

And completely bizarre. Words on a screen can have a lot of power as we already know. Pay no heed to the irrationally angry.

Someone so full of that is in trouble with themselves, it's hard to be happy when you're filled with that. It's sad more than anything else.

It's only now I'm recognizing that poster too, actually. Didn't spot it before, but now it's obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Candie wrote: »
    Poor Bob Geldof doesn't know what he started :)

TA at the kind of spite and vitriol people are capable of.

It’s a real shame that posters from the “Current Affairs” have been malingering here due to, certain, threads not being shipped over fast enough, or at all.

Really brings down the “tone” of the place.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Can we move back to TA's.

I know some of you saw a ranty post before it was deleted.

I am waving a Men in Black flashy thing to erase your memories of it.

TA I don't have one in real life.

TA I'm a universally loathed obese pensioner :P

Ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Candie wrote: »
    TA I'm a universally loathed obese pensioner :P

Ah well!

When you have junior infants at your daughter's school asking if your Santa Claus. Then you know you hit rock bottom,heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

TA'd that my head hurts, ears are blocked, nose is stuffed, and I'm coughing and knackered.
    But Candie you're lovely, which is nice.

• Advertisement

TA'd that my head hurts, ears are blocked, nose is stuffed, and I'm coughing and knackered.
    But Candie you're lovely, which is nice.

That's kind :)

She/He was right about one thing though...TA I haven't seen my feet in a while (four weeks to go!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I politely instructed a man to stop sending anti women and explicit materialto my inbox (elsewhere). In 2020 there shouldnt be anyone so uneducated and primitive left.
    He ignored me twice, then had the audacity to patronise me.
    The more intelligent and educated people who use Boards often do not realise or even believe that neanderthal apes like him still exist. Well they do.
    They are always incapable with women, as they are repellant, but they blame the women for their own ineptitude and failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Just watching the news and after the main report on corona virus, Fergal Bowers is in studio to repeat everything that was said in the report...

This happens constantly on Rte news. Report, then go live to Paul Reynolds or whoever, and they just repeat what they said in the original report.. they must be on serious overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

TA for people farting in public places and being "downwind" of said methane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

RMAOK wrote: »

It's called crop-dusting if they move from room to room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s a real shame that posters from the “Current Affairs” have been malingering here due to, certain, threads not being shipped over fast enough, or at all.

Really brings down the “tone” of the place.

Do you “think” so, or just maybe “think” so? I believe inverted quotations are “very” effective in “putting” a point across. Would “you” agree?

TA I'm so incredibly tired that I can't sleep. How does that even make sense?!?

Also TA at Widdershins. She knows what she did :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TA that I always stay up too late on Sundays as I don't want the weekend to be over already.

TA I'm so incredibly tired that I can't sleep. How does that even make sense?!?

Also TA at Widdershins. She knows what she did :D

Im turning into my nan, she used to get great divilment out of tormenting me with too much detail..sorry xxx :)

TA stuck in my memories...it's annoying and other things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Any dudes who unleash stinky feet/socks in gym locker room - not to mention the odd guy who does a full exercise routine in gym and yet refrains from heading to Showers afterwards. Maybe they are out of time or shower at home but it looks so strange to change from gym clothes back into your clothes and heading off without first freshening up.

People who take pride in being banned from every forum they ever commented on on Boards and being unfriended by at least 2 people a week on FB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I can hear a dog barking somewhere fairly close by.

How the #### can someone leave a dog out and not hear it barking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

People who get needlessly aggressive and confrontational with the Gardai, for no other reason than they are the Gardai and they hate all of them!

Really cannot stand this attitude. Most of them are decent enough people, just doing a very difficult job. My folks always raised us to respect Gardai - not let them bully anyone either - but just show them a bit of respect for doing an important job! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

RMAOK wrote: »
    Methane is fine - it's the hydrogen sulphides that announce their presence.

Any dudes who unleash stinky feet/socks in gym locker room - not to mention the odd guy who does a full exercise routine in gym and yet refrains from heading to Showers afterwards. Maybe they are out of time or shower at home but it looks so strange to change from gym clothes back into your clothes and heading off without first freshening up.

there is this wanna be ganster twat, skinny fella with minimal muscle in my gym, who does push ups in the sauna, while chatting away to his side kick. Utter bellend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People who get needlessly aggressive and confrontational with the Gardai, for no other reason than they are the Gardai and they hate all of them!

Really cannot stand this attitude. Most of them are decent enough people, just doing a very difficult job. My folks always raised us to respect Gardai - not let them bully anyone either - but just show them a bit of respect for doing an important job! :)

I agree with you, I hate this attitude too. Any dealings I have had with Gardaí (which haven't been many! :pac:) I have found them all to be nice, decent people on an individual basis. I do however, resent the fact that there is a lot of "we don't have a car" being thrown around when ordinary civilians might need their help with something. Always a car available when there is tax and insurance to be checked... this is perhaps more of an annoyance with the force as it is run as a whole I suppose, and I wouldn't take it out on anyone individually. Also, you're just gonna make your life difficult by giving them grief! :D

Jim Root wrote: »
    there is this wanna be ganster twat, skinny fella with minimal muscle in my gym, who does push ups in the sauna, while chatting away to his side kick. Utter bellend.

Someone in authority at your gym needs to take this individual aside and ask him to refrain from exercising in the Sauna - The designated gym exercise area would usually be the only appropriate section for gym members to engage in this type of activity and they will take zero responsibility if any member/guest disobeys gym policy and has an accident while exercising in an inappropriate zone such as the Sauna for instance.

Failure to adhere to gym policy recommendations may result in such a member from being barred.

Oh, you will definitely meet all sorts in leisure clubs that for sure. I've yet to witness anyone doing physical exercise in a sauna or steam room but it only takes one to start a new trend.

If a child was present, you'd be saying Do Not Do This At Home but we'll have to change this to: Do Not Do This In Sauna or Steam Room or Jacuzzi!

Your Face wrote: »
    I can hear a dog barking somewhere fairly close by.

How the #### can someone leave a dog out and not hear it barking?

Probably the same people who go into some establishments like restaurants/hotels/pubs and other public places and just seem to make little or no serious effort to mind their own children if they are causing havoc. It's like they switch off and expect everyone else to do likewise.

A dog barking for long periods of time is usually a neglected one as they are usually barking if they are left alone for ages and needs to be exercised properly and/or given food & water.

I truly understand someone ruining the carpet. Anytime I visit someone's home I take my shoes off, which brings about odd looks from them,heh.Now if only visitors to my home would extend the same.

Don't get me wrong, I was once told I had to remove my footwear as I entered a friend's new house and I was uncomfortable as he provided a pair of slippers that did not fit my feet and I nearly broke my neck moving around the rooms! I just think there is a balance to be struck when people make little or no effort to wipe their feet in mats provided - The floor mats are there for a purpose.

Now if someone had come from somewhere where their footwear had only just been through oil/grease/paint/sh1t/chewing gum or other such substances, you would think they would have enough common sense NOT to walk straight into another person's home - they should say something in advance as a matter of courtesy as it's too late afterwards. This would be a valid reason to request someone looking to enter your home to remove their footwear but some people will insist all who enter must and that's going too far unless their footwear are contaminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Don't get me wrong, I was once told I had to remove my footwear as I entered a friend's new house and I was uncomfortable as he provided a pair of slippers that did not fit my feet and I nearly broke my neck moving around the rooms! I just think there is a balance to be struck when people make little or no effort to wipe their feet in mats provided - The floor mats are there for a purpose.

Now if someone had come from somewhere where their footwear had only just been through oil/grease/paint/sh1t/chewing gum or other such substances, you would think they would have enough common sense NOT to walk straight into another person's home - they should say something in advance as a matter of courtesy as it's too late afterwards. This would be a valid reason to request someone looking to enter your home to remove their footwear but some people will insist all who enter must and that's going too far unless their footwear are contaminated.

Living in England now removing your shoes is pretty much the norm and it is polite to ask.

Think about all the crap you have walked on outside even if you cannot see it- urine, vomit, any assortment of animal crap, mud, insects, food and then you are dragging that across someone's house. No thanks.

Living in England now removing your shoes is pretty much the norm and it is polite to ask.

Think about all the crap you have walked on outside even if you cannot see it- urine, vomit, any assortment of animal crap, mud, insects, food and then you are dragging that across someone's house. No thanks.

Yeah, I am also familiar with UK living. You will find that it has a much longer tradition of various ethnic groups who engage in removing their footwear at the entrance to their homes, place of religious worship etc;

I am aware of all the potential crap believe me. If you provide ample mats you should be fine in most cases - we do NOT tend to eat/drink off the floor/carpet in our homes so; I think it is a bit OTT to expect everybody to behave in this way as the norm. There is a % of insect residue permitted in the breakfast cereals you eat but you won't hear it highlighted! A certain degree of contamination (low levels) is not necessarily a bad thing to build up the body's immune system. Nobody wants a dirty home but I think it's all about striking the right balance.

Yeah, I am also familiar with UK living. You will find that it has a much longer tradition of various ethnic groups who engage in removing their footwear at the entrance to their homes, place of religious worship etc;

I am aware of all the potential crap believe me. If you provide ample mats you should be fine in most cases - we do NOT tend to eat/drink off the floor/carpet in our homes so; I think it is a bit OTT to expect everybody to behave in this way as the norm. There is a % of insect residue permitted in the breakfast cereals you eat but you won't hear it highlighted! A certain degree of contamination (low levels) is not necessarily a bad thing to build up the body's immune system. Nobody wants a dirty home but I think it's all about striking the right balance.

TBH I find it's probably more to do with not wanting their precious beige carpets being dirtied as that seems to be the only color over here.

We have and would never ask someone to remove their shoes but we find the vast majority of people will take off their shoes automatically.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And there could be babies crawling or toddlers and children playing on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doctors and dentists waiting rooms with nothing to read but well out of date women's magazines.

• Advertisement

Is there way too many "Tree surgeons" knocking around these days?.. have hipsters come to the conclusion that it's a reasonable career choice?..a lot of them obviously don't have a notion what they're at either..no sense of the aesthetic of it at all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Is there way too many "Tree surgeons" knocking around these days?.. have hipsters come to the conclusion that it's a reasonable career choice?..a lot of them obviously don't have a notion what they're at either..no sense of the aesthetic of it at all..

You can make a fortune in fairness. I bought a chainsaw in Aldi last year for 73 euro.

It is free firewood at the end of the day. The government are not up to speed with the new tree surgery regulations either, they never are. Up to 3-4 hundred to get rid of a few overhanging branches, depending on the area - not on the branch size mind you.

Gold rush , don't miss it, have you grown a decent beard yet?

90e5aef96b5245ed13d34437717c337d.jpg

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You can make a fortune in fairness. I bought a chainsaw in Aldi last year for 73 euro.

It is free firewood at the end of the day. The government are not up to speed with the new tree surgery regulations either, they never are. Up to 3-4 hundred to get rid of a few overhanging branches, depending on the area - not on the branch size mind you.

Gold rush , don't miss it, have you grown a decent beard yet?

90e5aef96b5245ed13d34437717c337d.jpg

Paper cuts in the office v. losing an arm...let me think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Doctors and dentists waiting rooms with nothing to read but well out of date women's magazines.

This is exactly why I always bring a book with me whenever I have to visit either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Even after this many years using the Internet, once in a while I still google something that seems innocent (to me) which leaves me reaching for the eye-bleach..... :o

Even after this many years using the Internet, once in a while I still google something that seems innocent (to me) which leaves me reaching for the eye-bleach..... :o

I'm still getting over "Two girls One cup" from about 14 years ago. In fact I will never be right after it or "Two guys 1 horse".

• Advertisement

TBH I find it's probably more to do with not wanting their precious beige carpets being dirtied as that seems to be the only color over here.

We have and would never ask someone to remove their shoes but we find the vast majority of people will take off their shoes automatically.

Apart from the very 1st time I visited a mate's newly built house some years ago, I've never been requested to remove my footwear upon entering anybody else's home. Incidentally, any subsequent visits to my above mate's new home did NOT involve me removing my footwear again as I refused to comply as my footwear were in satisfactory condition and I told him I was not wearing guest slippers or roaming around his house in my socks or barefoot. If the sole of my shoe/trainer had something that was likely to cause damage to their flooring I would have complied but otherwise it is totally unnecessary and I told him that this was not up for negotiation if he wanted me to drive over to his house which was some distance away. The same mate was "a control freak" in many aspects of life and I was not playing along as I never had to comply in his family home before he got married.

If folk wanna put down beige colour carpets and expect them to remain like new, they are being naive. Of course, it's entirely their prerogative although; they may discover that if they expect their guests to always remove their footwear every single time they visit their home, most folk will probably think twice about bothering.

I appreciate that many people of a certain age/generation tend to move about their own homes in their socks or slippers but I find anyone visiting our home do not automatically remove their footwear upon entering. Only exception to those automatically removing their shoes upon entering our home seems to have been when some of the younger members of our extended family visited or relations from overseas who are of mixed race whereby it's their culture & tradition to always remove their footwear upon entering homes/religious place of worship. None of these categories were ever requested to remove their footwear - they did so entirely at their own discretion.

Apart from the very 1st time I visited a mate's newly built house some years ago, I've never been requested to remove my footwear upon entering anybody else's home. Incidentally, any subsequent visits to my above mate's new home did NOT involve me removing my footwear again as I refused to comply as my footwear were in satisfactory condition and I told him I was not wearing guest slippers or roaming around his house in my socks or barefoot. If the sole of my shoe/trainer had something that was likely to cause damage to their flooring I would have complied but otherwise it is totally unnecessary and I told him that this was not up for negotiation if he wanted me to drive over to his house which was some distance away. The same mate was "a control freak" in many aspects of life and I was not playing along as I never had to comply in his family home before he got married.

If folk wanna put down beige colour carpets and expect them to remain like new, they are being naive. Of course, it's entirely their prerogative although; they may discover that if they expect their guests to always remove their footwear every single time they visit their home, most folk will probably think twice about bothering.

I appreciate that many people of a certain age/generation tend to move about their own homes in their socks or slippers but I find anyone visiting our home do not automatically remove their footwear upon entering. Only exception to those automatically removing their shoes upon entering our home seems to have been when some of the younger members of our extended family visited or relations from overseas who are of mixed race whereby it's their culture & tradition to always remove their footwear upon entering homes/religious place of worship. None of these categories were ever requested to remove their footwear - they did so entirely at their own discretion.

Fair enough. We seem to have different experiences of it. I should state that it's all white natives that visit our place. I think what happens is that people will see our shoes in the hall and automatically remove their shoes.

Have you not had it with tradesmen? I can safely say that every tradesman who has been in our house (we had an extension so that is everyone tradesman) would take off their shoes automatically.

I have got to the stage now that I and all members of the household never walk past the tiled hallway in shoes and it is slippers or socks etc all the way. It is the same for the wife's family (they are English)- they even have their own slippers at each other's house!

Plus walking in socks or barefoot is a chance for the feet to walk around in a more natural state (trust me- it's a running thing and a different conversation).

Fair enough. We seem to have different experiences of it. I should state that it's all white natives that visit our place. I think what happens is that people will see our shoes in the hall and automatically remove their shoes.

Have you not had it with tradesmen? I can safely say that every tradesman who has been in our house (we had an extension so that is everyone tradesman) would take off their shoes automatically.

I have got to the stage now that I and all members of the household never walk past the tiled hallway in shoes and it is slippers or socks etc all the way. It is the same for the wife's family (they are English)- they even have their own slippers at each other's house!

Plus walking in socks or barefoot is a chance for the feet to walk around in a more natural state (trust me- it's a running thing and a different conversation).

Well there have been times when I would have preferred if visiting Tradesmen had realised they were likely to stain the carpets if they did not remove their footwear once entering our house. Some will put on the plastic covering around the boots/shoes that are used primarily in the Building industry which is what they ought to do if working in messy environments outdoors and then coming in/out of house doing work. Unless your home has light colour shade carpets, you can usually clean footprints and it's not too often a problem for us.

I can understand that a visible display of footwear placed near the door or in the hallway may encourage visitors to consider removing their shoes/sneakers but I'm not sure I would want a pile of footwear around this area as elderly family members might easily trip over carelessly discarded shoes. I've never been in the habit of lounging around in my socks/barefeet even in my own home although; I do have some friends that would do so in their own homes but they would also look at me twice if I was to ask them to remove their shoes on a visit to my home.

I started getting shin splints after a few weeks of walking around in just socks indoors in the evenings. Maybe it's connected to my past leg injury, maybe I personally need more support when I'm on my feet...

TA I forget which thread I'm on and have to supply a ta when nothing was ta'ing me at that moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is exactly why I always bring a book with me whenever I have to visit either.

But why is it always women's magazines? Do they assume men don't read?
    Local doc may have one or two issues of Phoenix probably dating back to the Bertie era on their coffee table amid the masses of Take A Sh1te and Woman's Way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement