Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

But why is it always women's magazines? Do they assume men don't read?
    Local doc may have one or two issues of Phoenix probably dating back to the Bertie era on their coffee table amid the masses of Take A Sh1te and Woman's Way.

Probably (massive assumption here) receptionist buys them and it's whatever they read.

Also one of my friends mums used to "donate" all her magazines when finished with them, to her Dr's surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Burning your tongue on your dinner even though you fcuking knew it was like fcuking lava to begin with, then being pissed off with yourself all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm still getting over "Two girls One cup" from about 14 years ago. In fact I will never be right after it or "Two guys 1 horse".

I'd never heard of 2 guys 1 horse and googling it just throws up vids of people's reactions so I guess I never will. No bothered. It sounds horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was really annoyed about people saying TA in this thread and couldn't figure out what it meant up until recently. I was even more annoyed when I figured it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was really annoyed about people saying TA in this thread and couldn't figure out what it meant up until recently. I was even more annoyed when I figured it out.

Aren't you supposed to be a moderator? :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aren't you supposed to be a moderator? :D

That ship has sailed and sunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

At night when you get comfy in the bed and about to nod off... your bladder asks 'Can I have a pee please Bob?' I need to lay off the night tea.

At night when you get comfy in the bed and about to nod off... your bladder asks 'Can I have a pee please Bob?' I need to lay off the night tea.

Jayus I know. I leave the house cold to help me sleep then as soon as I snuggle in up for a pee

I was wondering, I noticed the reg user back under your name.

TA freshpopcorn can no longer give out to me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was wondering, I noticed the reg user back under your name.

TA freshpopcorn can no longer give out to me :D

I'll do it instead if you want pwincess

Ta'd at rogue socks, everytime!

• Advertisement

I'll do it instead if you want pwincess

Now there's an offer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Trying to open a bottle of sparkling water as carefully and slowly as I can and the f**king thing still explodes everywhere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Welcome back popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Conor Pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cjmc wrote: »
    I'd never heard of 2 guys 1 horse and googling it just throws up vids of people's reactions so I guess I never will. No bothered. It sounds horrific

Oh it's out there. Let's put it this way- one of the guys genuinely died and there was a change in State law in the US after it. It has its own Wikipedia page.

I am not going to provide any further info...:o

Oh it's out there. Let's put it this way- one of the guys genuinely died and there was a change in State law in the US after it. It has its own Wikipedia page.

I am not going to provide any further info...:o

TA that I really want to Google that and the other one , but equally don't want to corrupt my poor innocent phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Have had a blinder of a headache for a while now, because of medication i'm on, I can't take ibuprofen but plain paracetamol, which rarely works for me...whomever keeps hitting me with that frying pan, could you kindly stop...I'm struggling to think straight anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

TA I've been walking around in a fukcing daze for two months! Getting seriously p1ssed off with meself now. Anyone any good at administering kicks up the arse? Badly need one here.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    TA I've been walking around in a fukcing daze for two months! Getting seriously p1ssed off with meself now. Anyone any good at administering kicks up the arse? Badly need one here.

Bend please. How hard? A gentle tap or digging out a size 4?

Also, splinter in my index finger at the pad and I can't get it out. Every time I touch something it reminds me it's there with a spiteful little jab. I'm not prone to hyperbole, but I'm almost certain my life is going to be ruined by this splinter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Candie wrote: »
    Bend please. How hard? A gentle tap or digging out a size 4?

Also, splinter in my index finger at the pad and I can't get it out. Every time I touch something it reminds me it's there with a spiteful little jab. I'm not prone to hyperbole, but I'm almost certain my life is going to be ruined by this splinter.

I'm not sure a size 4 will cut it, TBH. Thanks kindly for the offer but I need a kicking from someone of less dainty stature to propel me out of this one.

Ouch re the splinter. A good long soak, some TCP and a tweezers should sort it.

Sardonicat wrote: »

Not from me. Cautionary tale for you: Have seen a few other good boardsies go down in that state. Up and at it!

My ta: queuing in the local petrol station while the customer at the counter fiddles with her bits and pieces, all the while on her smartphone nattering away talking to the counter staff at the same time.

No bitches proposed to me.
    29th of February only comes every 4 years ( much like myself ;( ) and I really thought this year was it. I hope all you single ladies realise yo effed up.
    Pm me if anyone has second thoughts xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

SUVs

I think they're selfish, wasteful, and you can always get a car that will do a better job.

For the purposes of this rant I'll be referring to them as 'jeeps'. It's arguably just as nonsensical as SUV and hopefully sounds demeaning and will annoy marketing people everywhere. I'll also excuse people who actually need an off-roader, and maybe to some extent people who have them for commercial use.

But wtf is with the rest of you? Remember when we'd see a jeep in town and think the driver was a twat? That's if our immediate association wasn't 'smelly farmer'. What happened to those good old days? Now they're aspirational! Now Peugeot have a jeep range. A range! Why does Peugeot need a jeep range? Who goes shopping for a jeep and thinks : 'Peugeot!' And Ford sell so many jeeps there's constant talk of dropping cars altogether. We've known for a long time their biggest seller in their biggest market is the F150 pickup. Is that where we're heading?

People think they're bigger. There's less passenger and cargo space in my dad's Qashqai than in the five door Avensis he had before it. You're just using more material in construction and lugging around more weight for no benefit.

"I need one for the kids." My sister in law managed to ferry around two kids under three in a three door Colt. Even brought them and her parents to Dublin in it one time.

People like that they're taller. They're a little bit taller and sometimes you can see over the traffic, but if the twat in front of you has a jeep too you can't see anymore than before.

People think they're safer. Maybe, sometimes. That's a far more complicated question. Sometimes it's better to be in the bigger, heavier car - sometimes that higher centre of gravity will cause you to flip easier. Star ratings and the type of accident you have are more important.

People think they're luxurious. It's been said the luxury is a function of size and space. Not quite so simple. I've been in the back on my brother's jeep as it rolls and wallows through the bends. My car has the same amount of passenger space and doesn't roll so much in the corners.

Even better was the ride in the back of my buddy's 5 series. If we're going to be aspirational, why isn't that the sort of thing we're aspiring too? Comfortable, fast, economical and has loads of passenger and cargo space. Not exactly cheap, but we're being aspirational here. I don't want to focus too much on the 5 series here, but a quick check on carzone shows a brand new diesel/electric plug in hybrid M-Sport 5 series for €67,000. A new Tourareg which looks like it has much less bells and whistles and will cost way more to run costs €93,000! Why wouldn't anyone buy the 5 series (or similar)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cjmc wrote: »
    No bitches proposed to me.
    29th of February only comes every 4 years ( much like myself ;( ) and I really thought this year was it. I hope all you single ladies realise yo effed up.
    Pm me if anyone has second thoughts xx

Sorry cjmc, I forgot, I was too busy washing my hair. Ah well, too late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Apart from the very 1st time I visited a mate's newly built house some years ago, I've never been requested to remove my footwear upon entering anybody else's home. Incidentally, any subsequent visits to my above mate's new home did NOT involve me removing my footwear again as I refused to comply as my footwear were in satisfactory condition and I told him I was not wearing guest slippers or roaming around his house in my socks or barefoot. If the sole of my shoe/trainer had something that was likely to cause damage to their flooring I would have complied but otherwise it is totally unnecessary and I told him that this was not up for negotiation if he wanted me to drive over to his house which was some distance away. The same mate was "a control freak" in many aspects of life and I was not playing along as I never had to comply in his family home before he got married.

If folk wanna put down beige colour carpets and expect them to remain like new, they are being naive. Of course, it's entirely their prerogative although; they may discover that if they expect their guests to always remove their footwear every single time they visit their home, most folk will probably think twice about bothering.

I appreciate that many people of a certain age/generation tend to move about their own homes in their socks or slippers but I find anyone visiting our home do not automatically remove their footwear upon entering. Only exception to those automatically removing their shoes upon entering our home seems to have been when some of the younger members of our extended family visited or relations from overseas who are of mixed race whereby it's their culture & tradition to always remove their footwear upon entering homes/religious place of worship. None of these categories were ever requested to remove their footwear - they did so entirely at their own discretion.

I think this post says a lot more about you than your friend.

Pretty much everywhere I've been outside of Ireland, everyone, always takes off their shoes in people's homes - be it your own or someone else's. Everyone, everywhere.

But not only does the Paddy not do it, he takes offence at the idea of it in someone else's home! Face up to it - it will be the norm here before long.

It took ages for Mrs Beer to train me - it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime - but I'm pretty much there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

SUVs

I think they're selfish, wasteful, and you can always get a car that will do a better job.

For the purposes of this rant I'll be referring to them as 'jeeps'. It's arguably just as nonsensical as SUV and hopefully sounds demeaning and will annoy marketing people everywhere. I'll also excuse people who actually need an off-roader, and maybe to some extent people who have them for commercial use.

But wtf is with the rest of you? Remember when we'd see a jeep in town and think the driver was a twat? That's if our immediate association wasn't 'smelly farmer'. What happened to those good old days? Now they're aspirational! Now Peugeot have a jeep range. A range! Why does Peugeot need a jeep range? Who goes shopping for a jeep and thinks : 'Peugeot!' And Ford sell so many jeeps there's constant talk of dropping cars altogether. We've known for a long time their biggest seller in their biggest market is the F150 pickup. Is that where we're heading?

People think they're bigger. There's less passenger and cargo space in my dad's Qashqai than in the five door Avensis he had before it. You're just using more material in construction and lugging around more weight for no benefit.

"I need one for the kids." My sister in law managed to ferry around two kids under three in a three door Colt. Even brought them and her parents to Dublin in it one time.

People like that they're taller. They're a little bit taller and sometimes you can see over the traffic, but if the twat in front of you has a jeep too you can't see anymore than before.

People think they're safer. Maybe, sometimes. That's a far more complicated question. Sometimes it's better to be in the bigger, heavier car - sometimes that higher centre of gravity will cause you to flip easier. Star ratings and the type of accident you have are more important.

People think they're luxurious. It's been said the luxury is a function of size and space. Not quite so simple. I've been in the back on my brother's jeep as it rolls and wallows through the bends. My car has the same amount of passenger space and doesn't roll so much in the corners.

Even better was the ride in the back of my buddy's 5 series. If we're going to be aspirational, why isn't that the sort of thing we're aspiring too? Comfortable, fast, economical and has loads of passenger and cargo space. Not exactly cheap, but we're being aspirational here. I don't want to focus too much on the 5 series here, but a quick check on carzone shows a brand new diesel/electric plug in hybrid M-Sport 5 series for €67,000. A new Tourareg which looks like it has much less bells and whistles and will cost way more to run costs €93,000! Why wouldn't anyone buy the 5 series (or similar)?

I know someone who's expecting her first child, who upgraded their car to a SUV. Don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I know someone who's expecting her first child, who upgraded their car to a SUV. Don't get it.

I'm cleaning my car before our baby arrives and that feels like a concession! :D

Jeeps nowadays fulfill their intended function about as much as the pedigree inbred hunting dogs caged in the back, destined to a life of on leash pavement walkies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Borborygmus -
    Ate a lot of fruit earlier and my belly is rumbling. Just now one of my staff came over to my desk and I emitted a sound resembling a fart. :(:o:o:o
    I'm pretty sure they stepped to one side to avoid any smell. I did excuse myself.

I hate SUVs too. Most drivers are unable to park them properly.

Sending yourself a test email because you haven't received mails in so long there must be something wrong... and the email delivers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I think this post says a lot more about you than your friend.

Pretty much everywhere I've been outside of Ireland, everyone, always takes off their shoes in people's homes - be it your own or someone else's. Everyone, everywhere.

But not only does the Paddy not do it, he takes offence at the idea of it in someone else's home! Face up to it - it will be the norm here before long.

It took ages for Mrs Beer to train me - it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime - but I'm pretty much there now.

All I can relay is my own experience down through the years and like you just conceded, the "Paddy" tends to react exactly as I previously outlined.

As for my friend, he's never offered to remove his own footwear upon entering my home and come to think of it, neither did he bother upon entering other peoples homes on those occasions I was with him. It changed when it moved into a new house and I suspect his other half is the main reason.

I can assure you it will not become the norm in my home as some people do not have great foot hygiene and I'd rather the scent off feet stayed inside the shoe/sneaker/boot in those cases where it may be rather strong.

• Advertisement

Wow. My second TA in a week and I have two!

I work in a lovely old building on the top floor but by Jaysus does the front door shake its core.
    Every now and then I hear a big bang and the floor vibrates along with me.

Also I peed half an hour ago and now I need to pee again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Car Registration Certificate - I doubt the change-of-ownership section could have been designed with any less care - what a mess.

Got my new ownership document back today and guess what? They've changed the layout of the change-of-ownership form on the back of it so that it's much easier to fill out!

504510.jpeg

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Clips on YouTube of a chick and snake but it ends before din dins.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

When you come home and your trying to put the tv on then u realise the esb is gone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

People who say 'literally' when it is literally not literally. I mean, they are literally talking sh1te! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

iamstop wrote: »
    People who say 'literally' when it is literally not literally. I mean, they are literally talking sh1te! :pac:

My niece used the word three times in the same sentence last week. I'm still twitching over it.

I suspect it's another Americanism that's sneaking into our language due to those awful TV shows aimed at young people.

My niece used the word three times in the same sentence last week. I'm still twitching over it.

I suspect it's another Americanism that's sneaking into our language due to those awful TV shows aimed at young people.

It's up there with using "like" instead of "said". "And then he was like, and I was like and he was like". SAID! The word you are looking for is SAID!

Another one that gets me is "legit." - "I legit.was like oh my God. I legit. literally died". Argh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

going to watch a youtube video of a programme, but the youtube video has only half of the programme :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I honestly think it's more of an image thing than anything "practical"

The house, the kid, the SUV all conforming to the "happy modern" family image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's up there with using "like" instead of "said". "And then he was like, and I was like and he was like". SAID! The word you are looking for is SAID!

I once overheard a conversation on the DART where the subject was a retelling of a different conversation. Half an hour's worth and the verb "say" wasn't used once. Not once.

"So I was like...."
    "And she was like..."
    "The then I was like..."

...and so on, ad in-fcuking-nitum.

• Advertisement

It's not a new thing, though.
    I remember complaining about people using the word "literally" with the literal opposite meaning that it should have, literally, 25 years ago.

I don't think it was even a new thing then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

going to watch a youtube video of a programme, but the youtube video has only half of the programme :(

Finding an audiobook in three parts on YouTube...listening to the first two over a series of days, and then finding that part 3 is missing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm sure it's youTUBE you're talking about, lol. I'm sure it's programme and not scene you're talking about too eh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I honestly think it's more of an image thing than anything "practical"

The house, the kid, the SUV all conforming to the "happy modern" family image.

Keeping up with the Jones!!

TA'd at myself for being a total and complete nut.

I feel bad for any food item that goes off before I have a chance to eat it. I feel sorry for it because it doesn't get to achieve it's destiny of being eaten and gets tossed into the compost to slowly rot and decompose.

I have enough to be worrying about on any given day but here I am feeling sorry for a wee Mandarin that went soft and white in the fruit bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

last TA of the day, not knowing which type of editorial service to go for, I just want my manuscrpt edited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

It's not a new thing, though.
    I remember complaining about people using the word "literally" with the literal opposite meaning that it should have, literally, 25 years ago.

I don't think it was even a new thing then.

It's so much more widespread these last few years though.

It's so much more widespread these last few years though.

Nope.
    And young ones talking in American accents - that's been going on for decades as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are they planning to tow the child in a horsebox?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mandarin that went soft .

Hey it happens, I bet there really embarrassed.

😛:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement