Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

Hey it happens, I bet there really embarrassed.

😛:pac:

:D:D:D Nah it's not embarrassed , it doesn't give to fruits! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The feeling you've made a terrible mistake and it'll haunt you forever. When you'd give your left arm for another chance.
    And when people don't bother to turn up on time to remove their laundry from the outdoor giant washing machine & dryer in the petrol station forecourt. It's
    bad enough waiting 45 minutes for my own laundry without waiting 20 just for the machine to be emptied.
    Also TA my own washing machine died a second time and I use 12kg machines for work so it has to wait a week or two until I get paid for orders I've made :/ people seem to derive some sense of extra value for money by witholding payment for a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The feeling you've made a terrible mistake and it'll haunt you forever. When you'd give your left arm for another chance.

+1 for this , it's actually giving me anxiety atm.

+1 for this , it's actually giving me anxiety atm.

Such a gutting feeling, big squish for you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think if everyone was brutally honest, you'd find we all have at least one of those to carry around.

I have an absolutely monumental one I've had for several years and there's is absolutely no hope of second chances or redemption. If I can be so bold to impart a nugget of hard won wisdom, what I took from it is to make sure if you're gonna have a regret it's for something you have done rather than something you didn't do. And bugger what people think of you .

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think if everyone was brutally honest, you'd find we all have at least one of those to carry around.

I have an absolutely monumental one I've had for several years and there's is absolutely no hope of second chances or redemption. If I can be so bold to impart a nugget of hard won wisdom, what I took from it is to make sure if you're gonna have a regret it's for something you have done rather than something you didn't do. And bugger what people think of you .

Good advice. It's hard and I hope you feel some peace about it nowadays, or will soon.It is my one and only regret! My only hope is reincarnation, lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ta'd I was eating a burger and ketchup squirted out the ass of it and went on my good jeans *mad face*

what I took from it is to make sure if you're gonna have a regret it's for something you have done rather than something you didn't do. And bugger what people think of you .

Wow great advice!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Boards 503's glitching all over the place tonight.
    Deja Boo wrote: »
    Boards 503's glitching all over the place.

Not to mention all those 503 glitches... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

:rolleyes: and ^ that too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Welcome back popcorn

Back from the dark side :D

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

If I can be so bold to impart a nugget of hard won wisdom, what I took from it is to make sure if you're gonna have a regret it's for something you have done rather than something you didn't do. And bugger what people think of you .

I think Oscar Wilde had famous quote along the same lines

and thats all very well.... but you know what,

"You can't unring a bell"

(Eddie O'Sullivan, former Ruby Coach and some time philosopher)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It's so much more widespread these last few years though.

Definitely. You can't get away from it now. :(

TA when you are waiting for an important message and your phone vibrates... and it's a facebook notification telling you it is the birthday/ 1 year "friendversary" with someone you don't care about and didn't even realise you were "friends" with. Note to self, carry out purge to get rid of all those lurkers who remain friends but never interact with you! Or just get rid of the whole thing :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I think Oscar Wilde had famous quote along the same lines

and thats all very well.... but you know what,

"You can't unring a bell"

(Eddie O'Sullivan, former Ruby Coach and some time philosopher)

You’ll find my granny was saying that decades before he was even born! Also Nick Cave had it in one of his darker songs a few decades back... complete with epic bell ringing tomes in the background..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

people that are brainwashed by the likes of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and then pretend he isnt a raicst,

Ta'd at ruminating thoughts, I need a break from my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Got my Home Insurance renewal from Aviva. Noticed that I should have been given a 15% loyalty discount for having my car insured with them, but not included. Rang Aviva.

"Oh, we have a different system for cars and homes"? "Can you not pick this up and save me having to spot it and ring you"?

"Well I will give it to you now"

Saved €58 for being aware and making the phone call Annoyed that you have to constantly watch these people all the time and double check everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People unwilling to lift a toilet seat and proceed to piss all over the seat.

People unwilling to lift a toilet seat and proceed to piss all over the seat.

And people who forget to put it down again, thus giving my arse a cold, hard fright when I have to get up.in the night to pee and don't want to switch on the light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And people who forget to put it down again, thus giving my arse a cold, hard fright when I have to get up.in the night to pee and don't want to switch on the light

I would never, ever sit on a toilet without looking at it first.

I would never, ever sit on a toilet without looking at it first.

Generally an excellent rule to live by, Beer, but when it's 3am and you've got a UTI and things are rather urgent and usually no one else uses that particular pot but yourself, these things can happen. ..

• Advertisement

Generally an excellent rule to live by, Beer, but when it's 3am and you've got a UTI and things are rather urgent and usually no one else uses that particular pot but yourself, these things can happen. ..

UTI??

Just sleep in a warm bath;)

UTI??

Just sleep in a warm bath;)

I like your suggestion but can no longer have baths because they give me - a UTI. That's a major TA.

I suppose I could be like the French Revolutionary, Marat, and spend all my time in my bath drawing get up lists of people I don't agree with for an appointment with Madame Guillotine, or in my case, the report button.

I like your suggestion but can no longer have baths because they give me - a UTI. That's a major TA.

I suppose I could be like the French Revolutionary, Marat, and spend all my time in my bath drawing get up lists of people I don't agree with for an appointment with Madame Guillotine, or in my case, the report button.

what a dose!

My other half has suffered a lot over the years. I (kindof) understand.
    The warm bath was once resorted to - she got a couple of hours sleep;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ta, that people who are not me and only have a vague idea of my schedule( as in if I'm home I'm not working, which isn't true a lot of the time) who schedule appointments and tell ppl to call in or ring me there.

Means that I can't order my work day the way I want and inevitably, this impacts more harshly on me than them!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Who is he and how many lashes do you want him to receive?

Arse Fright is a serious affliction and not to be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Noisy work being carried out next door when I am on nights and trying to sleep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Nope.
    And young ones talking in American accents - that's been going on for decades as well.

I would beg to differ. decades ago you would have the had slapped off you ( By your friends) for some put on American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

People who alter the spelling of well established christian names eg Karen to Caron, Karron etc. I really don't get why they do this or why it's necessary.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I would beg to differ. decades ago you would have the had slapped off you ( By your friends) for some put on American accent.

I am one of those people! With the American accent. Have had it for decades. Nobody has ever slapped anything off me for it.

I am not American. Never lived in America. Did move from place to place a bit as a child so maybe I never got a chance to form a regional accent. Maybe even American tv was my only constant.

Or maybe it's because I did elocution lessons as a child and that sort of knocked a 'normal' accent out of me. I'm not sure really. Of course to an American and indeed to myself I don't sound remotely american, I just don't always sound completely Irish.

Three types of people mention my way of speaking to me:

1.People whose first language is not English. They've said I'm easier to understand than most other people they meet.

2.Elderly or other hard of hearing people who have said I enunciate better.

And of course..
    3. Other Irish people, just here and there, who in an accusatory fashion point out my 'american accent' and try to embarrass me.

Fortunately I'm long past being embarrassed about it. I would like to know what other people hear though. If I record myself I think I sound like a big bogger but hey others say different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I am one of those people! With the American accent. Have had it for decades. Nobody has ever slapped anything off me for it.

I am not American. Never lived in America. Did move from place to place a bit as a child so maybe I never got a chance to form a regional accent. Maybe even American tv was my only constant.

Or maybe it's because I did elocution lessons as a child and that sort of knocked a 'normal' accent out of me. I'm not sure really. Of course to an American and indeed to myself I don't sound remotely american, I just don't always sound completely Irish.

Three types of people mention my way of speaking to me:

1.People whose first language is not English. They've said I'm easier to understand than most other people they meet.

2.Elderly or other hard of hearing people who have said I enunciate better.

And of course..
    3. Other Irish people, just here and there, who in an accusatory fashion point out my 'american accent' and try to embarrass me.

Fortunately I'm long past being embarrassed about it. I would like to know what other people hear though. If I record myself I think I sound like a big bogger but hey others say different.

Are your parents American? Was the elocution teacher American? Or were you reared in a country like Holland, where a lot of people speak English with an American accent?

If none of the above applies, then strange to have an American accent...that doesn’t sound American to an American...remotely.

I myself, would have been reared on American and UK TV programs, but I do
    Not have the slightest US or UK accent.

My TA is listening to people on TV fawning over the Royals, some are only short
    Of touching a forelock.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Are your parents American? Was the elocution teacher American? Or were you reared in a country like Holland, where a lot of people speak English with an American accent?

If none of the above applies, then strange to have an American accent...that doesn’t sound American to an American...remotely.

I myself, would have been reared on American and UK TV programs, but I do
    Not have the slightest US or UK accent.

My TA is listening to people on TV fawning over the Royals, some are only short
    Of touching a forelock.

None of the above!

Yep sure is strange. I can't fathom it myself but lots and lots of people have said it to me and nobody has said it kindly. As I say I don't get embarrassed. I can sometimes feel bad if I think maybe its irritating for people or people might just not like me because of it.

I thought I had moved past it as I hadn't had it in a long time but it was said to me recently :(

My sister's gets it from people too. She gets mortified though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

When it gets close enough to the end of the day that you feel its pointless starting a new task. But its also not close enough to the end that you can pack up and leave.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    When it gets close enough to the end of the day that you feel its pointless starting a new task. But its also not close enough to the end that you can pack up and leave.

I use that time to go to the tea room and rinse my coffee cup very slowly, put my phone etc. in my handbag and clear my desk ,then clock watch impatiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Someone recently told me they were having "pan fried" chicken for dinner. What else would you fry chicken on FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Someone recently told me they were having "pan fried" chicken for dinner. What else would you fry chicken on FFS?

Deep fried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A griddle ?

OK, ye got me :)
    It still sounds pretentious though. I wonder were they having "hand cut chips" with it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Don't be silly, chips can't cut hands!

A wok.

A hot tin roof?

• Advertisement

Lalalalalalalalala, not listening :)

*sticks fingers in ears *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

A hot tin roof?

And does it involve a fiddler?

And does it involve a fiddler?

A fiddler and a cat. And a frying pan :)

Silly people, hot tin roofs are for cats....

Nononono, no frying pan. A dish and a spoon, fine, but no frying pans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

A hot tin roof?

Don't you mean:

"Jeeze Louise, like, a hat tin roof Ma'am"

(That's as close to typing your American accent as I can manage, BuileBeag :D )

You leave the cats out of this 😠

😛😜

It's called Roof Rabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Just curious, but do a lot of folks here in certain areas really speak with an American accent? I haven't come across it in in all my years in Limerick, I usually need an interpretor,heh.Just curious is it more the East than the West that adopts that linguistics.

Don't you mean:

"Jeeze Louise, like, a hat tin roof Ma'am"

(That's as close to typing your American accent as I can manage, BuileBeag :D )

:D:D:D I should have expected that!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement