Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

Example of the illegal dumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

dubstarr wrote: »
    Why did you not ring Reception and complain.

This reminds me of a similar TA I have from work. When parents let their kids run riot around (usually at weddings) when we’re trying to serve food. Yeah I have three hot and heavy plates full of food in my hands but it’s fine, if your child knocks into me and I drop a plate on their head it’s my fault of course. Parent your children, hotel staff are not childminders :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Not so much as annoys me, but has affected me more than I expected. An 11 year old boy was beaten to death by a 27 year old man here in Limerick. I'm still struggling with it.Sorry for the morbid post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Not so much as annoys me, but has affected me more than I expected. An 11 year old boy was beaten to death by a 27 year old man here in Limerick. I'm still struggling with it.Sorry for the morbid post.

Mary Wilson's opening line on Drivetime this evening was "Today there is only one story: Gay Byrne has died"

Yes this is a big story, but to say it's the only story today, on a news programme, is just fúcking insulting to the family of Jastine Valdez, to the little lad in Limerick and all who loved him, to the woman whose teenaged attempted murderer was sentenced today, and all the others who just didn't happen to be part of the "RTÉ family" and so weren't worthy of the same coverage. Shocking thing for Mary Wilson to say, and typical of RTÉ's attitude at times.

(Second Mary Wilson TA of the day, her ears must be burning :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

His name was Brooklyn Colbert. May he rest in peace. Terrible story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

dubstarr wrote: »
    Why did you not ring Reception and complain.

Complain about 100 kids running riot around their hotel? They'd laugh at me. We asked about them on checking out and they said that they're that busy every weekend and that they're a family orientated hotel. So that seems to be the unique selling point for the hotel. Shame on us for not checking that out before we booked the place. :rolleyes:

I would 100% invest in an adults only hotel on this island. It's why I love Harvey's Point so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Complain about 100 kids running riot around their hotel? They'd laugh at me. We asked about them on checking out and they said that they're that busy every weekend and that they're a family orientated hotel. So that seems to be the unique selling point for the hotel. Shame on us for not checking that out before we booked the place. :rolleyes:

I would 100% invest in an adults only hotel on this island. It's why I love Harvey's Point so much.

I avoid any hotel that prides itself on being a family run hotel .!! The Hodson Bay in Athlone have an adult only floor which is a bonus !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Can I ask what hotel it is? I'm just asking because it's somewhere I definitely DON'T want to go.
    For the last few years we've booked child free apartments/hotel while on holiday and it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Can I ask what hotel it is? I'm just asking because it's somewhere I definitely DON'T want to go.
    For the last few years we've booked child free apartments/hotel while on holiday and it's great.

The Slieve Russell in Cavan. Lovely hotel but never again.

Harveys Point is silly expensive but it's amazing. I've never seen a single child there and the food is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Slieve Russell in Cavan. Lovely hotel but never again.

Harveys Point is silly expensive but it's amazing. I've never seen a single child there and the food is incredible.

I definitely won't be booking in there so!

A weekend away in a hotel is supposed to be relaxing. Screaming kids all over the place is the last thing you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Harvard referencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kookiemonster

Two traffic related ones this morning:

An overly aggressive driver behind me beeping aggressively (with accompanying hand gesture) me for giving a car coming the opposite way, briefly, I hope her schedule wasn't thrown off too much by that 4 second delay to her day.

White Van driver pulling out in front of me at the round about close to where I work that he seemingly didn't need to stop at because he was going straight across? Way too close for comfort that one.

Aaaaannnnddd breath......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Serious roadworks our way these days, road closed for several hours at a time. The surface is in shít and you literally have to crawl through certain parts of it in second because of the potholes etc. This however is not the TA. The TA is the number of drivers who still take shortcuts that way. What is wrong with them? Use a major road for f*ck sake, that's what they are for. And it isn't even really the shortcut taking that annoys me - it's the fact that they all go too fast for the area, with no regard for the fact that there might be livestock, tractors, children etc. :mad: If I could take them all and put them on a raft somewhere at sea along with day trippers who break the speed limit and landlords etc. who regularly fly tip and others dumping their pets - I wouldn't really care if they spent forever at sea!

Left late for college because I’m an eejit and got my times mixed up. I’m now here, half an hour late and I have to queue for parking which is making me even later. TA’d at my own stupidity and the lack of parking here

Far from trivial but the news in particular of late just drives me mad. There seems to be a war on children and women. Just today - 5 men cleared of rape in Spain after each taking turn to have sex with a 14 year old girl because they "didn't use force" - they didn't have to, she was drunk and unconscious. She is a child! The little boy in Limerick. The (IMO) joke of a sentence handed down just now in the Kriegel case. That poor woman Justine valdez. So many predators and bullies everywhere who think women and girls exist for gratification only and that it is ok to harm someone vulnerable. Perhaps because I am a survivor myself, but I feel like everywhere I turn there are children and girls/ women being molested and harmed left, right and centre and a society and justice system that just condones and excuses it. Grrr! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TA the difficulty in finding the opening on a new dustbin liner.

TA the difficulty in finding the opening on a new dustbin liner.

I find wetting the top of one's finger beforehand helps :D

TA woke up thinking it was Friday and realised it was only day 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

The use of the term 'Southern Ireland' to refer to the Republic, it grinds my gears more than it should really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

TL;DR People don't complain enough and nothing will improve if you don't.

Is it me or have generations of Irish people been told to not complain? Most people seem to not only accept things that should be unacceptable, but to actively celebrate mediocrity. I think it's partially because when we were growing up the country was poor, and you either didn't know better, or had to accept the **** you got. Nowadays we can look around us for many examples where standards are better, and people still put up with crap service, crap products, crap TV, crap radio....

It also seems to be almost taboo to complain. This thread of venting to strangers on the internet is probably a poor example. When I complain about stuff IRL I get told to 'stop moaning'. You're seen as being 'always negative'. I'll stop moaning when things aren't ****! If I know there's better alternatives out there, I'll say so!

The example I always think of happened in a hotel in Kerry. I won't mention the town in case there's only one hotel in the town, but we were there for a family wedding. The breakfast was ****. It was buffet style, which I never like anyway, but when I got there about an hour before breakfast was supposed to stop, it looked like only the dregs were left. There was a handful of rashers that were shrivelled to almost nothing. The fried eggs were tiny and solid. The sausages were also tiny, split and over-cooked. Not a staff member in sight to ask if there was any fresh stuff coming. I took about half of what I actually wanted because it looked so unappetising. My uncle (god rest his soul) arrived a couple of minutes later, so had an even worse selection. He sat down with about the same stuff on his plate as mine, and with a big smile proclaimed 'Isn't it the finest!' And seemed shocked when I started giving out. It was the most disappointing breakfast I've ever had in a hotel, or anywhere away from home for that matter. I've had nicer breakfasts halfway up Kilimanjaro. I've been in so many remote places in so many less developed countries, and they've always managed a nicer breakfast than that. Our work canteen which gave out pretty poor fare on weekends, would have served a better breakfast that morning. And this is an over-charging four star hotel we're staying in - there's no excuse for such poor standards.

'...the finest!' How could you think that? And if you keep putting up with **** like that nothing will ever improve.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Antares35 wrote: »
    I find wetting the top of one's finger beforehand helps :D

I'm sure it does eheheheh

Today I was driving behind one of those 'i'll put on my makeup while driving' folk', it was on the M50 and surprisingly the traffic was moving. They were in lane 3 preventing any overtaking.
    There was nobody in from of them.

They were swerving all over the lane.
    They were slowing down and speeding up.
    They reached into the back seat at one point to root through a bag before taking the bag to the front passenger seat.
    And I couldn't be annoyed with her when I eventually passed her because her makeup was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Think I caught something staying over in a friend's cold and squalid apartment at the weekend, feeling really crappy, aches and pains everwhere, short of breath. No sneezing or eyes watering or anything thankfully.

Can't even go sick from work this week as I have to go to a meeting which entails foreign travel and it will cost my employer a packet if I bail out! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

A lad got on a coach I was on and asked me to move my bag so that he could sit on the seat next to me. I did so. But it was only after I was getting up to leave I looked behind me and there was about 10 empty seats. I was sitting at the very front, and I came to the conclusion that he just couldn't be bothered walking up to them and I had a heavy bag on my lap for 40 minutes while he got to sprawl out and listen to his music.

I had to get another bus after that one, and I sat up the back. Again, this bus was not full and it was also a double-decker. Not only did a lad get up to the back of the bus where I was, but he sat in the middle, and he absolutely reeked of B.O. I didn't get a moment's piece that day.

While I'm on the topic of buses:- people eating hot food on the bus drives me insane. One time I was on a full bus and someone sat next to me and proceeded to open up and eat a chicken tikka roll beside me....

I was at my fiance's graduation at WIT last week, and there was a group of three women (possibly sisters, or two sisters and a mother - I don't know, I couldn't guess their age) sitting on the row of seats in front of me, and they were so disrespectful and rude throughout the whole ceremony.

Right from the get-go, from the moment we were sitting down, one of them decided it would be a good idea to put a child (in a car-seat) onto the floor next to all the seats. This was a big problem for the staff and students as this was in an area where all the graduates would be walking in a single file to get back to their seats, and it was all on camera so it had to be perfect I'd imagine (if you've been to a graduation ceremony at WIT I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm struggling to describe it), but she had to be told to take the child out of the seat and the car-seat to be removed. She was annoyed at this.

Then, soon after the ceremony started, they began pulling out their phones, taking selfies, standing up and recording videos, applying make-up, talking to each other and laughing. They kept having conversations amongst themselves, too. They were African so I didn't understand a word of any of it.

One of the women, who was sitting in front of me, her wig fell off onto the floor in front of my feet and she started to panic, then she got a short-haired wig from her bag and wouldn't stop using her phone as a mirror to adjust it. The worst part about this was I'm nearly 95% certain I was in all of these selfie videos they kept taking, which was pissing me off even more. And I caught a glimpse of the screens. On the top corner, it said "LIVE"

Not a bit of cop-on at all. They wouldn't sit still. They had a lot of jewellery on so I kept hearing a lot of rattling and clanging noises. People sitting beside me were just as frustrated as I was, I was so tempted to exclaim "SHHH!!!!!" - the universal language for "SHUT THE F*CK UP!" (no language barrier can prevent you from understanding that!) but I didn't want to draw attention to myself either.

Not once did they draw their eyes up to the front, they didn't watch a single thing. There was a big 100" projector at the front as well so they had no excuse not to see anything.

This went on the whole hour or so. When the ceremony was over, it only seemed customary to let the graduates walk out first - everyone else seemed to understand this, except for one of these three women, who thought it'd be great to just get up, stand in the way of the graduates, and start taking photos of her daughter/sister (the one who actually graduated) and she kept backing up not letting people walk past her. She was very inconsiderate, didn't say sorry, or anything.

The whole time it looked like they didn't even want to be there. So why the f*ck did you lot attend in the first place? Why didn't you go to the reception area where it was shown on lots of TVs???? It pissed me off, so much, it barely touches trivial in my books :pac:

Smug cows in my running club banging on about "running" the New York marathon in 5 hours 50 mins.

You have done this 4-5 times now. Yeah great the first time but now Jesus give it up. Nobody gives a **** anymore. Even the 'Patience of a Saint/nicest lady in the world never says a bad word about anyone' club leader is sick to death of you at this stage- she told me.

And now you have signed up to London 2020- Fcuk NO. We will have to listen to banging on about that now for the next 6 months. What about all the other multiple marathon runners in the club who go about their business nice and quietly and actually run it in 3:30 hrs.

Oh...and on what planet is that "running". You waddled around in just under 6 hours and you only do it for the attention.

and another thing. You have been "running" 2-3 years now and 2-3 times a week. But you are still as fat as when you first started. I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong. Fair play for getting out there no matter how quick or shape you are in but Jaysus you are some dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Just saw the happy Christmas from spar ad on tv.
    It’s the fifth of November spar.
    Fcuk right off.

Just saw the happy Christmas from spar ad on tv.
    It’s the fifth of November spar.
    Fcuk right off.

I heard Christmas music in a department store on Sunday...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Went to Lidl last night and found it really claustrophobic as they had the shelves pushed closer together to make more room for Christmas tat. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s sickening they start this sh1te so early.
    There should be fines given out

Halloween being turned into a glorified f*cking Christmas the past year or two.

Grown adults spending stupid money on costumes, many (for women in particular) a thinly veiled attempt to dress like a prostitute. Oh I am just going as Red Riding Hood, you know, with a tiny dress and cape, big knee high boots and a basket of treats. Or a pirate with a black leather dress up to my árse. :pac:

Shops getting in copius amounts of food - sweets, pumpkins, coconuts, drinks "specials" etc.

Kids costumes that cost a small fortune - in my day (:pac:) it was a black sack and soot on your face.

People decorating their houses for it, spending hundreds on lights and decorations.

And the worst one, little feckin gurriers who use it as an excuse to be arsonists, and not just for a night. Halloween now starts 5 weeks before and ends 1 week after October 31st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rECTAL fLAKE

I broke a nail. I know it's really trivial but I was growing it for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Walking along corridor at work and just room for two people to pass and the people coming to meet you just keep walking shoulder to shoulder. I used to turn sideways and basically hug the wall so there is no collision but now I make sure to hold my space and drop the shoulder if they refuse to move in.

Think it's an ego thing that one of them doesn't want to be the one to walk behind , or they are totally oblivious to other people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Being afraid to start something fantastic because youre afraid it might end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

LirW wrote: »
    Harvard referencing.

I struggled a lot with this, I was given the harvard referencing guide from university of limerick, helped a lot, a lot.
    I think its still accessible on their website/library.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bricky06 wrote: »
    The use of the term 'Southern Ireland' to refer to the Republic, it grinds my gears more than it should really.

An English person in a meeting I was in yesterday referred to the UK as "the mainland". There were numerous twitches around the table.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    An English person in a meeting I was in yesterday referred to the UK as "the mainland". There were numerous twitches around the table.

Living in England I will often say "Mainland Europe"...:D

I am sorry but that dickhead needs to be called out on that. There is no way I would have sat there in silence.

• Advertisement

The price of books. Today I paid €11.90 for a copy of Samuel Beckett’s Endgame, which is about 40 pages long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lad got on a coach I was on and asked me to move my bag so that he could sit on the seat next to me. I did so. But it was only after I was getting up to leave I looked behind me and there was about 10 empty seats. I was sitting at the very front, and I came to the conclusion that he just couldn't be bothered walking up to them and I had a heavy bag on my lap for 40 minutes while he got to sprawl out and listen to his music.

This is commonly done by people who don't like people bags on seats on buses. I understand when the bus is packed and then you should move your bag but when it's empty.
    It's just done by do gooders to make themselves feel important.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    The price of books. Today I paid €11.90 for a copy of Samuel Beckett’s Endgame, which is about 40 pages long

You need to start buying from the "used" section in Amazon. I routinely pick up great books for literally 1p. Just need to pay a couple of quid P&P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I am sorry but that dickhead needs to be called out on that. There is no way I would have sat there in silence.

It was the Head of EMEA Comms of a client company - calling that out is above my paygrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Virgin's coverage of the Barcelona match. Why does it look like the graphics from FIFA 98?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Virgin's coverage of the Barcelona match. Why does it look like the graphics from FIFA 98?

Do they keep playing “Song 2” over and over and over and over again?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When you're following a thread and you step away for an hour or so, come back and a few angry mod notes.....wtf did I miss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TA when two tv programmes you want to watch are on at same time.

Don't have any fancy record functions.

Oh FFFFFS,

Car just drove past here blaring out Christmas music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you have to talk to somebody you have nothing in common with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    TA when two tv programmes you want to watch are on at same time.

Don't have any fancy record functions.

Old school vhs?

Old school vhs?

Ah, I'll catch it on RTE player, which is another TA in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

When you have to talk to somebody you have nothing in common with!
    yup...at least we have that in common

You need to start buying from the "used" section in Amazon. I routinely pick up great books for literally 1p. Just need to pay a couple of quid P&P.

I always prefer to, but I needed it for next week and didn’t want to take the chance that it wouldn’t be here on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

TA that I’ve expensive taste with Primark funds

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement