Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    The price of books. Today I paid €11.90 for a copy of Samuel Beckett’s Endgame, which is about 40 pages long

Save yourself a lot of money and register for free at archive.org and “borrow” books for a fortnight. Just needs the additional but free Adobe Digital Editions.

Or just listen to one of the audio files without registration.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Samuel+Beckett%2CEndgame

:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or borrow it from a library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Or go in & read a page or two of it every day. Over time you'll have read it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

TA George Hamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

New Home wrote: »
    they have nothing these days and everything is disorganized as its self service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Gogglebox is actually a thing.

Watching a TV show, showing people watching a TV show. I do not understand the point of it.

I mean, I could go into the sitting room, sit on the floor and record my partner and her mother watching the Late Late Show this Friday night, and it'd be the same thing. And I'd have done it with f*ck-all money.

If I'm missing the point, someone tell me, but as far as I'm concerned right now it looks like a waste of brain cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last year Tayto and King boxes had 20 packets in them and this year they have 18!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

they have nothing these days and everything is disorganized as its self service

:confused: What library do you go to? :confused:

The libraries around here are brilliant! Yes, there are "Open library" hours when the libraries are unmanned but you can still access them with your card and get books out/return them self-service, but during normal opening hours they are staffed, and the people working tidy up.

You can order books online from any library in Ireland, add a deadline by which you need to receive them, and you'll get an email when they are delivered to the branch of your choice. The only "catch" is that a staff member has to check the books out for you because not all of them have the magnetic bar/chip that allows the self-service "till" to check them out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Buying a packet of rashers out of lidl, you know the ones with no rind, medallions I think they call them. Anyway the front two rashers are lean and nice looking and the hidden bottom 4 are fatty with a big streak of fat going down the middle. And not just one packet, every one of them. Just down right deceitful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm childfree by choice. I don't go around telling strangers, but my close friends know why I don't have kids.

I was 40 earlier on this year. Met a friend of mine today who said "Oh I know you're 40 now, but it's not too late, it might still happen for you".
    NO! No, it won't 'happen' for me. I've made sure of that. I won't ever be having kids. My friend knows all this, so why she felt the need to come out with that I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I just made, and drank, coffee without thinking. I meant to make tea
    Good luck getting any sleep, DAVE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

New Home wrote: »

Checked the college library and it was checked out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You can watch a performance with David Thewlis and Michael Gambon on YouTube, if that helps.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You can watch a performance with David Thewlis and Michael Gambon on YouTube, if that helps.

Thank you :) will probably do that as well as reading it, helps to contextualise it a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Something I never thought I'd say but The Sky Box didn't record The Late Late Show!

• Advertisement

Local libraries would either have it or order it in for you. Might come in handy for next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

The only explanation I can think of for the performance issues I was experiencing with RTE's Player this evening is that they are attempting to use a Casio calculator from the 1980s as their web server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not trivial but insomnia annoys me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

RickBlaine wrote: »
    The only explanation I can think of for the performance issues I was experiencing with RTE's Player this evening is that they are attempting to use a Casio calculator from the 1980s as their web server.

I was thinking the hamsters had arthritis, but that is also possible RB.

TA wide awake here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Children with smartphones....should be illegal, parents should be prosecuted. Three 10 year old sitting on the wall yesterday evening and they all playing on the bloody things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Boil water notices. Boiled water tastes weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Last year Tayto and King boxes had 20 packets in them and this year they have 18!

Are they two separate companies? Amazing how they both came up with the same idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The dysfunctionality of NowTv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are they two separate companies? Amazing how they both came up with the same idea.

Same ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well I am sorry I do not sit around talking **** and gossiping- I am extremely busy which is reflected in the fact I have the most files, the most enquires, the most clients, generate the highest invoices and and generate over 55% of the firm's annual income (among 3 of us).

I am sorry for you if the university degrees plus masters and professional qualifications (x6) hanging in my office makes you feel inferior....it's your problem if you left school at 16 without any qualifications...I worked damn hard and that is why I sit at this side of the table.

So forgive me if you perceive that I give off an aloof air of superiority. Well, I am superior and you are just a dumb Brexit voter who quiet cheerily voted so because of "too many emigrants" when I am an emigrant (moved for personal reasons and took several steps down moving here).

Oh just a small matter.........I AM THE FCKING BOSS so suck it up buttercup..:mad:

After all that my TA is that I am supposed to be almost embarrassed and even ashamed that I am driven and that it makes some people feel bad. Not my problem. You are well paid, well treated and have been here for years- yeah ok employees moaning about employer shock. Who would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Well I am sorry I do not sit around talking **** and gossiping- I am extremely busy which is reflected in the fact I have the most files, the most enquires, the most clients, generate the highest invoices and and generate over 55% of the firm's annual income (among 3 of us).

I am sorry for you if the university degrees plus masters and professional qualifications (x6) hanging in my office makes you feel inferior....it's your problem if you left school at 16 without any qualifications...I worked damn hard and that is why I sit at this side of the table.

So forgive me if you perceive that I give off an aloof air of superiority. Well, I am superior and you are just a dumb Brexit voter who quiet cheerily voted so because of "too many emigrants" when I am an emigrant (moved for personal reasons and took several steps down moving here).

Oh just a small matter.........I AM THE FCKING BOSS so suck it up buttercup..:mad:

After all that my TA is that I am supposed to be almost embarrassed and even ashamed that I am driven and that it makes some people feel bad. Not my problem. You are well paid, well treated and have been here for years- yeah ok employees moaning about employer shock. Who would have thought.

Woah calm down Mr Big Shot:D . In my experience people like you generally generate lots of pointless paperwork to make it look like they do lots of work, while other people actually are out there doing the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Another work related one that slightly annoying is when management implements one of your good ideas, have no problem without getting credit but when you hear it from one of your colleagues that the manager had this great idea and how it is making life easier for them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I have a bit of a cold and a snotty nose.
    I was trying to blow my nose and wipe away tears, so now I think I wiped snots into my eyes.
    I can't see properly.

Woah calm down Mr Big Shot:D . In my experience people like you generally generate lots of pointless paperwork to make it look like they do lots of work, while other people actually are out there doing the work

No man. You couldn't be more wrong. What is the point in generating pointless paperwork. The hard cold facts and figures back me up.

You are confusing me with a middle management role or a public sector worker...:D

Another TA.

On Strava, dickheads who only post a run/walk/cycle when they go abroad on holiday. We call it the "Gratuitous look everyone I am on holiday" run.

"Oh look at me. I am in Majorca doing a 5km run."

Where the fcuk are you the other 50 weeks of the year? Gob****e.

Going on a sun holiday is not a big deal- this is not 1988.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

You sound like a nightmare to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My TA are adults harping on about their birthdays, which are still weeks away, and particularly when the birthday is not a "special" number. Grow up ffs.

My TA are adults harping on about their birthdays, which are still weeks away, and particularly when the birthday is not a "special" number. Grow up ffs.

Jesus yeah. I find the English have such a hard on for the birthdays. Personally I could not give a crap and genuinely will not even think of it but bloody hell over here....middle aged men and women sounding like fecking 10 year olds.

What annoys me working here is that when you start in a new job- see it a few times over the years. HR will actually put your birthday in a calendar for everyone to see and you will get cards and cake. I hate it. Definite data protection breaches but have to bite my tongue. Okay I am a right miserable bastard and I just grin and bear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jesus yeah. I find the English have such a hard on for the birthdays. Personally I could not give a crap and genuinely will not even think of it but bloody hell over here....middle aged men and women sounding like fecking 10 year olds.

What annoys me working here is that when you start in a new job- see it a few times over the years. HR will actually put your birthday in a calendar for everyone to see and you will get cards and cake. I hate it. Definite data protection breaches but have to bite my tongue. Okay I am a right miserable bastard and I just grin and bear it.

Its worse in my office, on your birthday YOU are expected to bring in buns and cake for everyone else. What arseways nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

cjmc wrote: »
    Not trivial but insomnia annoys me

Look on the bright side.
    Only 4 sleeps left until Christmas.
    Only joking.i do a lot of night work and my sleep patterns are wrecked so I fully empathise with you

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Boil water notices. Boiled water tastes weird.

Yes. Yes it does. The live, unboiled germs give it a lovely aftertaste. :pac:
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Its worse in my office, on your birthday YOU are expected to bring in buns and cake for everyone else. What arseways nonsense. :rolleyes:

I make a point of taking the day off on my birthday. And only my close work friends know when it is, and they know to keep shtum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I have a relative who literally spends all her time pimping her own agenda on social media. Whenever she launches a new product, it's all you see for miles and miles of scrolling. This wouldn't be so bad and I would be genuinely happy for her success if she wasn't so blinded when it comes to everyone else's achievements and milestones. Several months ago on my birthday, she spent the entire day posting stuff about this launch that we were all expected to attend. I know she would have seen a notification that it was also my birthday. Did she even bother to message me a happy birthday? Nope. Yet, when I told her I wasn't going to her launch, she called my Dad to complain to him about it :confused:

Same person also ignored the fact that I recently got engaged, and again called my Dad when I ignored her birthday party request. Hey news flash, you're not the only one celebrating achievements/ milestones etc.

I feel like replying to her message saying, "my fiancé and I will not be able to attend. You might please note that it future you can contact me directly instead of using my Dad as a middle man" - what do you guys think? The TA of me not addressing this is eating me alive :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm a grumpy sod but I have to say I really liked the birthday rituals in my old office, there were loads of European girls and they'd bring in homemade cakes and give you hugs and kisses. I've had worse days in work lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm not a fan of the lazy either, I like to do my work well but at the same time I realise that a lot of modern work is basically meaningless. A lot of workers feel this way, just because they're not career driven and just want to earn a living doesn't make them inferior.

A serious question , is being a Type A worth the stress in the long run? I've seen firsthand what being driven in work can do to somebody if they don't get out and enjoy themselves soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Some ghoul in scotland has used my email address to order stuff online. The last time i cancelled the order but i dont get that option this time. the only thing i can do is divert the package

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My gas oven won't light with the pilot light and both my kitchen sink taps are broken in different ways (cold taps pipe is officially diagnosed as F.U.C.k.E.d and I have a spare set of taps somewhere that I cannot find) but buggerit I have a cooker and running water ( albeit either from the hot water tank or outside tap) so it's definitely trivial. I can have a gas ignited for 3.50 by tomorrow afternoon courtesy of Tesco Ireland.

gifted wrote: »
    Children with smartphones....should be illegal, parents should be prosecuted. Three 10 year old sitting on the wall yesterday evening and they all playing on the bloody things.

…. and who are they getting that example from I wonder??

Guy that I thought things were going well with unmatched me on Tinder. Wow rude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I drop my grandchild to primary school for 9.20 opening.

What gets me is the people who are always arriving as I leave, making them at least five minutes late. Sure, everyone can be late now and again, but being late by the same amount each day must send a very poor message to the children. If you can always make it five minutes late, surely you can be on time.

I considered that some may be dropping smaller children to creches and cannot get there sooner. Also thought I was only one who noticed, but it was commented on by several people this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Guy that I thought things were going well with unmatched me on Tinder. Wow rude :rolleyes:

Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Christmas. Can someone just wake me up when it’s all over please. Or better yet, someone invent glasses that filter out all things Christmas. Not being a Scrooge, I usually don’t mind it and don’t begrudge anyone’s enjoyment of it. I just can’t this year.

The problem with adopting an old dog is that you wind up buying things like doggy steps so he can get on the sofa, and then he gets on the sofa and sits in your spot, when you really want to sit in your spot. I guess it's his spot now.

TA there's an old doggy taking up half the sofa and I'm sitting on the floor. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Christmas. Can someone just wake me up when it’s all over please. Or better yet, someone invent glasses that filter out all things Christmas. Not being a Scrooge, I usually don’t mind it and don’t begrudge anyone’s enjoyment of it. I just can’t this year.

I'm in a minority among my friends in that I've never been a fan of Christmas. Not since Santa stopped visiting anyway (should probably behave myself a bit more during the year). Its better in recent years in that I can have a bit of craic with the nieces and nephews, but in general, its a dark and depressing time of year, and a ton of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Candie wrote: »
    The problem with adopting an old dog is that you wind up buying things like doggy steps so he can get on the sofa, and then he gets on the sofa and sits in your spot, when you really want to sit in your spot. I guess it's his spot now.

TA there's an old doggy taking up half the sofa and I'm sitting on the floor. :(
    Could you get him a new bed and put it on the floor with something that smells like you? Get him used to that and take away the steps. Everyone's happy.

Apologies.

Ah no need to apologise, just a bit of an annoyance

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement