Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee Contact

Options
  • 08-06-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Have a standard employee contact. Can't work for a direct competitior or any company that my current employer has a contract with. I have recently been shortlisted for the irish civil service by public jobs. My company has a contract with Government Departments. Can they stop me joining the civil service or block public jobs from assigning me to the department they have a contract with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats an almost unenforceable condition in your contract. You wont have any problems at all, even if they do assign you to it.

what are the listed remedies?

id agree that stuff is unenforceable for all but a very few circumstances- particularly sensitive or high-level positions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Where you might struggle is references. I'd say they will refuse to provide one. But just talk to them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vpnsub

That's the kind of feed back I have been getting. Appreciate the replies and feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I work for a data management company in my "contract" i cant work for any other data management company or any customer of ours.

Best of luck enforcing that.

There are jobs that would take this very seriously if you are in one you would know ie highly confidential interests.

Also do you have 2 accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

These clauses are usually time boxed, i.e. you cannot work with x for a period of y months / years after leaving.

As to how seriously it will be pursued, this will pragmatically come down to how much damage you can actually do to them. Sometimes the clause is merely there as a scare tactic to prevent losing a good employee to a direct competitor, in which case you are almost certain to face no backlash apart from the reference topic which was already mentioned.

There are situations (particularly in tech areas) though where an employee will have access to key IP and knowhow which is core to the success of an important product, and one will usually have signed an NDA etc. with the employer to keep this information confidential. If one was to move to a competitor and divulge such info then it would most certainly be taken very seriously, to the point that people could go to prison.

Advertisement