Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic Convertion truss roof pros and cons

• 09-06-2019 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all so I've done research got my quotes.Just wondering what should I not forget when builder comes out to go through plans like I want bigger windows,stairs,insulation,flooring,electrics.Dormer how much extra?Anything I should remember to ask.Tips and help greatly appricated.Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Have a look at this guide on the regulatory side, and check that you're getting what is necessary elsewhere in the house> https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1657%2Cen.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

The fact it is a truss roof assume you've got an engineer out to look first and see if possible. Seen some where builder dictates cutting trusses and not pretty.
    Builder usually does whats easiest/cheapest for him, not always right.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Assuming pitched slate/tile roof, ensure Continuous air-tightness/ vapour barrier on warm side of insulation. Ensure continuous insulation overlapping with wall insulation. Ensure Continuous ventilation on outside of insulation ie air gap underneath roof felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

texas star wrote: »
    Hi all so I've done research got my quotes.Just wondering what should I not forget when builder comes out to go through plans like I want bigger windows,stairs,insulation,flooring,electrics.Dormer how much extra?Anything I should remember to ask.Tips and help greatly appricated.Thank you

Is this now going to be a three storey?
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/search/archived/current/category/housing/type/publications?query=loft%20conversion

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks everyone he's has shown to architect the drawing to make sure It can do it.No I won't be classing it as a three story.He will be doing it to regulations and it will be certify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks everyone he's has shown to architect the drawing to make sure It can do it.No I won't be classing it as a three story.He will be doing it to regulations and it will be certify.
    Thats not a choice for you to make , it either is or it isn't a habitable 3 storey

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

What difference does it make ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What difference does it make ?

Sorry, but you are being led up the garden path here. You are creating a 3 story house.

Builder and architect are not qualified to ok this work. The only person is a structural engineer who will provide a certificate on compliance with Part A (Structre) of the building regulations.

Thanks everyone for input I was told it’s not class as a 3 three story house.Builder put my mind at ease and has done this type of work roof before with an engineer.Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for input I was told it’s not class as a 3 three story house.Builder put my mind at ease and has done this type of work roof before with an engineer.Thanks again.

Perfect, so you currently live on a bungalow.
    Doing the attic now only creates a 2 story house, so you have lesser fire safety regulations.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Perfect, so you currently live on a bungalow.
    Doing the attic now only creates a 2 story house, so you have lesser fire safety regulations.
    Builder said it will meet all fire regulations.Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

What others are eluding to, is that, it sounds like your attic won’t be a ‘habitable’ conversion, in a building regulation/ legal sense.

If your happy with a storage space, and don’t plan on having people sleeping in it, then best of luck on your project

You sound like you are being taking for a ride.
    How will it not be a 3 storey but still meet the fire regulations?

I look forward to your post in 3 months asking why is this wrong and what do I need to sort it.

Honestly, why start a thread of your evasive with questions from the very people you are asking for advice from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kceire wrote: »
    You sound like you are being taking for a ride.
    How will it not be a 3 storey but still meet the fire regulations?

I look forward to your post in 3 months asking why is this wrong and what do I need to sort it.

Honestly, why start a thread of your evasive with questions from the very people you are asking for advice from.

Not looking for advice. Looking for confirmation that they’re right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely it's possible to meet the fire regulations without classifying as "habitable space" (aren't there roof-height requirements for the latter anyway which are difficult to meet in most attics)?

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely it's possible to meet the fire regulations without classifying as "habitable space" (aren't there roof-height requirements for the latter anyway which are difficult to meet in most attics)?

Fire Regulations still apply whether its habitable or storage or games or office etc etc

Advertisement