Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predator Decoys

• 09-06-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

What experience have ye with predator decoys. The ones that spin intermittently as you call foxs. The Promos Sit and Spin being one of them.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Been waiting for a reply to this thread as i thought someone might be using it or something similar but apparently not.

Do most lads just use calls?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Something like this would be a sinch to make. If you were lucky enough to have an old remote controlled car in the attic, you'd make one for practically nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

I made one from a weasel ball toy.

Here is the Youtube video with the instructions.

Works well on this years foxes in low cut fields of stubble in August & early Sept.

s-l1600.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How do they work? I mean how well? Are they a benefit to the call only method?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass wrote: »
    How do they work? I mean how well? Are they a benefit to the call only method?

I only used it last autumn - in cut silage & stubble fields.

I hid behind bales and placed the spinning decoy down the field and away to my left.....about 50 yards away from me. I placed a bluetooth speaker near it.

I played a rabbit squeal call which was downloaded on the phone which played through the speaker.

A "this years" strong, healthy, mature cub came out of the heavy cover and was immediately fixated on it.......creeping up on it and no idea i was about.

When he was about 20 yards from it he stopped, staring and pricking the ears....providing the perfect shot.

I got two more in similar situation and setting again later in the autumn.

ANY USE:

It did draw them in ...but then I'm sure they may have come into the call anyway as I was still and camouflaged.

What it does is direct them to a spot you want them to be in.

If you have a centrefire I don't think there's any real need for one..if the fox come to the call you'll get a shot at it out to 200+ yards.

If using a rim fire rifle (.22 or .22 Magnum or .17) then you can coax them to a spot 70 - 80 yards out to ensure a lethal, accurate shot....or if using a heavy load in a shotgun youy may get therm in to 45 - 50 yards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I'm sure this was all for photography purposes only ? :D:D;)

Advertisement