Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to treat and de-weed lawn?

Options
  • 09-06-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've recently stripped my back field, and sown grass seed.

But after a couple of weeks away, although the grass is growing, the weeds are growing much more!

I'm not sure what all of them are, aside from some nettles and thistles, there are a lot of other broad-leafed things which seem very prolific!

Any advice please on the best course of action to eventually end up with a decent lawn? i.e. remove the weeds and allow the grass to grow?

I could probably pull up the thistles and nettles, but there's too much of this other stuff to be able to manually pull them up.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hi, I've recently stripped my back field, and sown grass seed.

But after a couple of weeks away, although the grass is growing, the weeds are growing much more!

I'm not sure what all of them are, aside from some nettles and thistles, there are a lot of other broad-leafed things which seem very prolific!

Any advice please on the best course of action to eventually end up with a decent lawn? i.e. remove the weeds and allow the grass to grow?

I could probably pull up the thistles and nettles, but there's too much of this other stuff to be able to manually pull them up.

Advice appreciated.

Lawn feed, weed and moss killer , apply about 3days after cutting grass and reapply every 6ish weeks, ensure to water in (or apply before a heavy rain) ... Over time, regular cutting and treating should give you the lawn you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

one of the best advises i got in the past to get rid of the moss and weeds was to go into farm supplies shop, not your woodies etc, they will exactly know what chems work best once you tell them what you need, some of them actually premix stuff.

as pulling by hand often times youll end up leaving parts of roots that will spawn again.

as had bad moss issue but got some sort of chemical powder mixed up that didnt harm any grass but once applied on the areas with most in weeks time the patch would be totally black on moss drawing any moisture out and leaving them to die, and scrape any off. couple times and it was sorted, weeds thou might be different matter depending on size of the lawn, and id imagine some sort of weed killer would have to be applied, its not nice to have brown black areas all over the place but if done early spring you have perfect lawn before summer hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lawn feed, weed and moss killer , apply about 3days after cutting grass and reapply every 6ish weeks, ensure to water in (or apply before a heavy rain) ... Over time, regular cutting and treating should give you the lawn you want.

I was told not to apply weed and feed to a new lawn for at least a year by a horticulturalist, was told its too harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I was told not to apply weed and feed to a new lawn for at least a year by a horticulturalist, was told its too harsh

Did the horticulturalist offer advice on dealing with the weeds/moss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This may not be popular but the best zero budget, fuss free way to improve a "lawn" which needs moderate reviving rather than remaking is to mow the feck out of it at a generous height. The intention to to encourage the grass to become thick and dense, this creates a dark floor in which weeds find it harder to gain a foothold.

If you want to apply a broadleaf killer use Dicophar Selective which is widely available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Did the horticulturalist offer advice on dealing with the weeds/moss?

No he didn't, but I must ask him, as I replanted a small patch of grass a couple of years ago, and I keep throwing seed at it from time to time, to try thicken it, I haven't used weed and feed on it yet, and of course they have begun to show, and its driving me nuts. I'm gonna have to use it soon, but I'm very reluctant to do so, but the grass is probably well settled now. Maybe post a pic if you can, as I suspect your problem is far more serious than mine, and others might be able to give you better advice.

Advertisement