Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Licensee Acquire Squatters Rights

Options
  • 09-06-2019 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

can a licensee have squatters rights after say 12 years (which I think is the normal timeframe for that)under current legislation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mortelaro wrote: »
    For the record,I had a question mark at the end of my comments

Can someone answer this related question, can a licensee have squatters rights after say 12 years (which I think is the normal timeframe for that)under current legislation?

Are you serious?

For squatters rights/adverse possession the land/property must be occupied continuously for over 12 years with the intention of excluding all others including the true owner. If the owner lives there, how could he/she be excluded?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mortelaro wrote: »
    can a licensee have squatters rights after say 12 years (which I think is the normal timeframe for that)under current legislation?
    No. To get squatters rights the person would have to live there rent free for 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

the_syco wrote: »
    No. To get squatters rights the person would have to live there rent free for 12 years.

Not just rent-free; adverse possession requires that they openly occupy the property in question exclusively and continuously for twelve years in violation of the owner's title. A licensee, even if they are not paying rent, is by definition given a license to occupy the premises by the owner and therefore their occupation of the property is not adverse possession (and if the owner or another guest of the owner is also occupying the property at the same time, then their occupation is not exclusive either).

Advertisement