Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you convince people god exists?

• 09-06-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How do you in history?

And how do you do it now?

With all the evidence etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

How do you in history?

And how do you do it now?

With all the evidence etc.

What evidence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What evidence ?

Evolution etc.

Why do people believe in god.

I am not saying whether i do or not. That's not the argument.

Logically one should not.

So why do people?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think real belief is very personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Childhood cancer is all i need to know about your god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think a lot of people take comfort in the belief that when we die it's not the end and we just move on somewhere else to meet loved ones who have moved on previously. If that gives someone a sense of wellbeing then good luck to them I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

odin-vs.-jesus.jpg
    I'm aware that it isn't Odin in the picture.

• You don't in an ideal world, accept that other people may hold a different belief to yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Indoctrinate the children of gullible parents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I think a lot of people take comfort in the belief that when we die it's not the end and we just move on somewhere else to meet loved ones who have moved on previously. If that gives someone a sense of wellbeing then good luck to them I reckon.
    It's all that keeps some people going.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

You tell someone that when you die you will make them win the Euromillions jackpot the following Friday, they will pretty much take it as gospel if you can pull that off for them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think it's that far fetched,given the existence of the universe a God isn't really any more bizzare.

Religion though is mostly a croc of shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I suppose its up to yourself. do you believe that after you die, thats it. your existence is gone forever, or if there's something bigger out there that we call god.
    i dunno. its a weird thought and kinda depressing that when you die thats it, snuffed out, extinguished for the rest of time.

• Tbh I think the whole atheist trend that is happening now will turn out to be just a phase we go through..

So much of it is like listening to a disgruntled 15 year old..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

And what format are you in? dust .... speckles ... invisible stuff

Religions are complete shyte
    I'm Agnostic but if people want to believe in one ideal or another it doesn't bother me as long as they don't try to ram it down my throat. So what if someone believes in something I don't necessarily believe in its their business not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP you cant make anyone do anything and certainly their personal religious belief is a very ingrained and indeed personal thing not likely to change from badgering or bullying or even presenting calmly a different point of view. I was a typical Catholic growing up but I rejected the teachings of the church as they just had no place in a society where people should be whatever they want to be, as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. The whole hierarchy of the church just reeked of control and hypocrisy.

I don't think this world and this life of ours is for nothing, I just find that impossible to accept that we could be just here, live our lives and then that's it forever and ever. There has to be something after this, but as for what it is I just don't know. Im in that stubborn but yet to be defined "not religious but spiritual" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

You leave behind the idea that God has a conscience. That's where it all went wrong. Originally God was the Sun, the rain, which had good days and bad days. Praying was basically meditation, people reminding themselves that good days always come, which gave them hope. Nowadays, people think praying is where you ask a BeeGees lookalike for something, and you get it if you are nice enough. No room for that in today's logical world.

Instead, religion should go back to the roots. Connecting ourselves to the forces at play which are greater than us. The constantly moving job economy for example is a higher power which we could "pray to", meaning when we're having a bad day at work, we can connect ourselves to that notion that new jobs are always being created and if we focus on being good people, it will come to us eventually. Why does religion and praying have to be more complicated than that? It's all about hope at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tbh I think the whole atheist trend that is happening now will turn out to be just a phase we go through..

Back to the dark ages instead? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think real belief is very personal.

If that's the case how could you convince someone that god exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I was bought up a catholic and my children were therefore catholic as well. However when the Brendan Smith story broke I told them that there was no need for them to attend mass ever again if they didnt want to. They were delighted. However 2 of them would still go to mass now and again. Myself....well if I didnt get mass on a Saturday night I dont feel right. So each to their own I feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I was bought up a catholic and my children were therefore catholic as well. However when the Brendan Smith story broke I told them that there was no need for them to attend mass ever again if they didnt want to. They were delighted. However 2 of them would still go to mass now and again. Myself....well if I didnt get mass on a Saturday night I dont feel right. So each to their own I feel.

this is why religion still exists

you ignore the history of the churches depravity from 2nd century and still support them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tbh I think the whole atheist trend that is happening now will turn out to be just a phase we go through..

Don’t shoot the messenger: even if Christians are nicer than atheists (which is debatable), does that mean Christianity is more likely to be true?

Imagine being a member of a tribe wandering in the desert, thousands of years ago. Some weird, scary stuff happens e.g the Sun goes dark during the day, or one of your goats is killed by lightning. Who did that? How do we make it stop? Will it help to offer sacrifices to... whatever that powerful being is? Do we have to say certain things at certain times?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Ah, but, so much of the whole atheist world view is based on a moral philosophy that is Christian really.. like, really, what is to say that killing someone is wrong, really?..many other cultures didn't view it as such..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ah, but, so much of the whole atheist world view is based on a moral philosophy that is Christian really.. like, really, what is to say that killing someone is wrong, really?..many other cultures didn't view it as such..
    That's back-to-front: common sense ethics existed before the invention of Judeo-Christian religions, and they became associated with Christianity in countries where that was the majority religion. In England, the Church of England was at the centre of local social life, and you would hear someone called "a good Christian" when he or she was simply a good person - regardless of what he or she actually believed. In Muslim countries, a good person is "a good Muslim". ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• bnt wrote: »
    Ah, but, so much of the whole atheist world view is based on a moral philosophy that is Christian really.. like, really, what is to say that killing someone is wrong, really?..many other cultures didn't view it as such..
    That's back-to-front: common sense ethics existed before the invention of Judeo-Christian religions, and they became associated with Christianity in countries where that was the majority religion. In England, the Church of England was at the centre of local social life, and you would hear someone called "a good Christian" when he or she was simply a good person - regardless of what he or she actually believed. In Muslim countries, a good person is "a good Muslim". ;)

They didn't though..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think if you start a subservant revolutionary movement that operates in direct opposition to the established morals and existing prevalent religious beliefs, you have a chance.

Start by ridiculing all the 3000 odd existing established religions around the world. Tell them all they have got it wrong and that you have it right and that god exists.

Easy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,787 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Simply show proof. In this case I've never been presented with any proof and hence am not convinced

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are no atheists in foxholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

There are no atheists in foxholes.

That's at best the usual bulls!t to scare people

The Christians probably got that from Adolf

Adolf Hitler, Bavaria, 1936:

Man cannot exist without belief in God. The soldier who for three and four days lies under intense bombardment needs a religious prop.

since they were so close like :

https://imgur.com/2y2aN22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Peatys wrote: »
    Childhood cancer is all i need to know about your god

I've battled with belief for a long time, having been brought up to accept the norm. However, over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that a loving God could not let this happen, so I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

tc6ag6q9zxw01.jpg

Religion is constantly on the defensive, being pushed back by science. But that is in turn under fire by every bull**** movement be they anti-vaxxers, creationists, flat earthers etc. It's a pity we have to share the one planet with them.

Advertisement