Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of 'palm' tree is this please?

Options
  • 09-06-2019 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Love this tree, and I would love to buy some for my garden. Can anyone identify what type it is please?

BTW it is outside the old Cherrytree restaurant in Killaloe-Ballina, now closed. There are more than one and seem very happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Gingermac wrote: »
    Love this tree, and I would love to buy some for my garden. Can anyone identify what type it is please?

BTW it is outside the old Cherrytree restaurant in Killaloe-Ballina, now closed. There are more than one and seem very happy.

Photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'll have to post a url link as you don't have enough posts for a direct photo link I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gingermac

Sorry, the photo was too big, I had to resize, but I think it is there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Trachycarpus fortunei

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

It looks to be a old tree because most kinds of palm trees were damaged by snow and frost in 2010 but grow again from the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Gingermac

Thanks very much for the replies, going to try to buy a couple as I love them.

I don't know how old it is but I have known it there since 2007 when it already looked quite tall, and have seen it survive the thick snow we had a few years ago, without any protection. It seems exceptionally hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My mother had one of those in her garden for years, and the real bad freeze of 2010 killed it off...........or so we thought.

It died off, and we cut it right back from about 12ft tall to about 12 inches in height, just to see what would happen.

Its back to its former glory again, and huge!

NIMAN wrote: »
    My mother had one of those in her garden for years, and the real bad freeze of 2010 killed it off...........or so we thought.

It died off, and we cut it right back from about 12ft tall to about 12 inches in height, just to see what would happen.

Its back to its former glory again, and huge!

I would suspect you are talking about a cordyline there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would suspect you are talking about a cordyline there.

Well it looks very like the one in the attached picture. Do they have similar stems?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have a small one of these in my garden which I think I have identified as New Zealand Cabbage Palm or Cordyline Australis.
    And spent some time tidying it up today I found it had 5 trunks. 3 were established and 2 reasonably new ones. I cut the new ones at the base (as I don't have that much space).
    TBH I am not sure if I want them. They grew from the neighbours trees spreading seeds (before we moved in).
    They also seem to spread fairly easily as I have a few new ones growing.
    Would anyone want the new ones? They are small enough that it would be easy to relocate them (around 30cm)
    I will be just pulling them up and binning them otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well it looks very like the one in the attached picture. Do they have similar stems?
    No, the cordyline has a bare trunk and the leaves sprout in a more round pattern than fanlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

It has the fronds in a fan shape so I think it is a Chusan palm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Thanks very much for the replies, going to try to buy a couple as I love them.

I don't know how old it is but I have known it there since 2007 when it already looked quite tall, and have seen it survive the thick snow we had a few years ago, without any protection. It seems exceptionally hardy.

Where are you going to get them, i would also like a few but seem really expensive > 200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry to jump on thread, but I have two of these in garden and no idea what they are? we bought house and they where in garden when we bought it

Just wondering if they are the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on thread, but I have two of these in garden and no idea what they are? we bought house and they where in garden when we bought it

Just wondering if they are the same?

Cordyline Australis I think, but seeing more of the trunk would help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

strandroad wrote: »
    Cordyline Australis I think, but seeing more of the trunk would help!

Thank you

Sorry picture is shocking :-)

Will take one after the rain

Do you cut these back or just let them grow?

Definitely Cordylines, you usually just pull off the brown leaves to keep them tidy.
    They may be cut back to any height and they will regrow but don't think that's necessary here

Advertisement