Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat in big/little pig

• 09-06-2019 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use one of these composers with a thermometer? How hot do they get? I'm trying to find out if it can be used to compost weeds. I understand that temperatures above about 60 C would kill any weeds or seeds in it, so you could safely put weeds in it in that case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Does anyone use one of these composers with a thermometer? How hot do they get? I'm trying to find out if it can be used to compost weeds. I understand that temperatures above about 60 C would kill any weeds or seeds in it, so you could safely put weeds in it in that case.

Long story here: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057762472/1/#post104051085

Short story is that yes you can sling in weeds. I do every day or two.
    Never had them sprout from the compost.
    68c is my record so far but I haven't measured it in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Great, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This may depend on the seeds.

Most weeds will break down quickly at temperatures like that.

It would be a brave gardener that would put dandelion clocks or thistle heads into the compost, though. If they resisted the heat, you'd be spreading them everywhere.

And ditto for scutch grass roots.

As a matter of interest, does Ivy break down well for you in this composter? Ivy is notoriously difficult to compost and usually sulks for ages.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    This may depend on the seeds.

Most weeds will break down quickly at temperatures like that.

It would be a brave gardener that would put dandelion clocks or thistle heads into the compost, though. If they resisted the heat, you'd be spreading them everywhere.

And ditto for scutch grass roots.

As a matter of interest, does Ivy break down well for you in this composter? Ivy is notoriously difficult to compost and usually sulks for ages.

I've only fired in ivy leaves that had browned over time naturally. Scutch grass all the time, root and all, but early enough in the cycle.

That said once the side you stop feeding cools down the side you are actively feeding heats up. The insulation isn't perfect and you get a bit of heat leaking into the cooling side. This in turn re-starts another reaction.
    This would see the 'cool side' sit at approx mid 20s - mid 30s for another 3-4 weeks. After that the cool side reaches ambient temp eventually.

I'll fire in some fresh ivy next week, leaves and skinny vines.
    The left side will be full in a week and I'll be emptying the right. So it will go in from scratch, that way it will get the full 6/7 weeks at temp.

Roen wrote: »
    I've only fired in ivy leaves that had browned over time naturally. Scutch grass all the time, root and all, but early enough in the cycle.

That said once the side you stop feeding cools down the side you are actively feeding heats up. The insulation isn't perfect and you get a bit of heat leaking into the cooling side. This in turn re-starts another reaction.
    This would see the 'cool side' sit at approx mid 20s - mid 30s for another 3-4 weeks. After that the cool side reaches ambient temp eventually.

I'll fire in some fresh ivy next week, leaves and skinny vines.
    The left side will be full in a week and I'll be emptying the right. So it will go in from scratch, that way it will get the full 6/7 weeks at temp.

Wow, wonderful, that is so interesting: thank you!

Sounds really active and effective.

Any possibility of a photo?

• Advertisement

Wow, wonderful, that is so interesting: thank you!

Sounds really active and effective.

Any possibility of a photo?

There's photos in the thread I linked to already. Or are you taking about the ivy experiment before/after?

Attached is one in its current home earlier this year.

Roen wrote: »
    There's photos in the thread I linked to already. Or are you taking about the ivy experiment before/after?

Attached is one in its current home earlier this year.

Brilliant, thank you so much :-)

Brilliant, thank you so much :-)

Well there you go. Gone in to the cold side this evening. Let's see what pops out in 7 weeks.

WSavbAMl.jpg

Checked in on this today and the leaves have vanished. The vines are looking in a sorry state but still have a bit of structure to them.
    You can't tell they are ivy vines but still tough enough. Another month left in the heat though so let's see what becomes of it.

Advertisement