Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall sockets with USB and ethernet

• 09-06-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello guys,

Do you know maybe if there is anywhere to buy wall sockets that have USB and slot for Ethernet ports? Planing to run Ethernet network trough the house up to a switch and then to ISP router in modem mode.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

skippy123! wrote: »
    Hello guys,

Do you know maybe if there is anywhere to buy wall sockets that have USB and slot for Ethernet ports? Planing to run Ethernet network trough the house up to a switch and then to ISP router in modem mode.

What is the function of the USB port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hello guys,

Cat5/6 for network cabling should not be ran close to electrical cabling as it causes problems. Run network cables to their own sockets and keep them a few inches away in their own conduit.

What is the function of the USB port?

I would assume for charging, I have replaced a few for this purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would assume for charging, I have replaced a few for this purpose

Ah, that must mean having mains to the socket and a conversion to 5V DC at the socket.
    I tend to favour this which has the benefit of keeping ethernet separate from power lines.
    4087P_P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Planing to run Ethernet network trough the house up to a switch and then to ISP router in modem mode.

Just in this, you will need another router between the switch and ISP router if you are switching it to modem only mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    Just in this, you will need another router between the switch and ISP router if you are switching it to modem only mode.

That is no problem at all as I already have it.

So you guys would recommend definitely to split up Ethernet connections from power lines? Even if the CAT6 is shielded?

So you guys would recommend definitely to split up Ethernet connections from power lines? Even if the CAT6 is shielded?

Yes, definitely. Although it's shielded it still needs to be in its own conduit away from electrical cables

Yes, definitely. Although it's shielded it still needs to be in its own conduit away from electrical cables

Do you have by any chance some article that confirms this? Would like to read a bit more about it.

Do you have by any chance some article that confirms this? Would like to read a bit more about it.

Google electromagnetic interference (EMI)

Thank you! Will read it up a bit.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement