Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying second hand

Options
  • 09-06-2019 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Im thinking about buying a second hand bike and was wondering what are the expenses I should prepare for when calculating the overall cost.

I know there is the bike price, insurance, road tax and VRT. Is there anything to be paid for changing ownership? Anything else I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JaimeB wrote: »
    Im thinking about buying a second hand bike and was wondering what are the expenses I should prepare for when calculating the overall cost.

I know there is the bike price, insurance, road tax and VRT. Is there anything to be paid for changing ownership? Anything else I'm missing?

No other costs for transfer of ownership. VRT only counts if you import, buying in Ireland you don't pay it.

PPE. A good fitting helmet is more important than an expensive one. You have to buy a new helmet, go to a shop with a good selection and get your head measured and try on a good few. When you find what you like wear it for about 20 minutes to make sure it's comfortable. You can buy online but you run the risk of getting an incorrectly sized or uncomfortable helmet.

Trousers, jacket, boots and gloves can be brought 2nd hand. Then depending on waterproof level of your gear you might need waterproofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Thanks! Yes, I didnt even got started with all the gear. Planning to commute with that bike, so would need good clothes.
    So if you don't pay anything for transferring ownership, how is it done? How cna I check he is the actual owner of the bike?

Thanks! Yes, I didnt even got started with all the gear. Planning to commute with that bike, so would need good clothes.
    So if you don't pay anything for transferring ownership, how is it done? How cna I check he is the actual owner of the bike?

Check their licence and the VLC, so they match. They might want to meet in a public place to view the bike, make sure that it's not quite location, but don't buy it anywhere than the registered address. Make sure that they access the property. If they don't agree walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have you considered a scooter, ..better for commuting than a Monster...more protection from the elements and lots of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

You can play it safe and buy from a reputable dealer,most offer a 3/6 month warranty.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    You can play it safe and buy from a reputable dealer,most offer a 3/6 month warranty.

Don't worry about the warranty from a dealer. Our consumer laws offer much better protection than a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

I wouldn't be so sure about that, privately you buy as seen and the seller should point out any defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

horse7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, privately you buy as seen and the seller should point out any defects.

The reference was from a dealer, not privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

On the subject of bikes, what would be a good starter bike for a guy interested in getting a bike? Have an AM licence ( used to ride a Honda 50 many years ago, but made the mistake of not upgrading the Licence back then, but as far as I know I can still ride a bike up to 50cc on that licence? )

jmreire wrote: »
    On the subject of bikes, what would be a good starter bike for a guy interested in getting a bike? Have an AM licence ( used to ride a Honda 50 many years ago, but made the mistake of not upgrading the Licence back then, but as far as I know I can still ride a bike up to 50cc on that licence? )

You can only ride a bike that does 45km/h. For the costs you'd be better off with a pedalic which can assist you to 25km/h and you don't need to insure or tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can only ride a bike that does 45km/h. For the costs you'd be better off with a pedalic which can assist you to 25km/h and you don't need to insure or tax it.
    Thanks for the info Del2005, if I remember rightly, the old Honda 50 was capable of much more than that at least 55-65 Kph, I think. But apparently, the 3 wheel bikes ( 2 front, + 1 rear set-up ) can be driven an car licence? But going back to basics, with the standard 2 wheel bike, what kind of power would you recommend? I was thinking about 600-650 cc? and then there is the question of which bike to go for...not having the longest legs in the Country, means that I would need something low slung,, friend had an KTM 850 for sale, but was way too big and heavy for me....even if I managed to get it moving, I would have needed a high foot path for the landing..:)

jmreire wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Del2005, if I remember rightly, the old Honda 50 was capable of much more than that at least 55-65 Kph, I think. But apparently, the 3 wheel bikes ( 2 front, + 1 rear set-up ) can be driven an car licence? But going back to basics, with the standard 2 wheel bike, what kind of power would you recommend? I was thinking about 600-650 cc? and then there is the question of which bike to go for...not having the longest legs in the Country, means that I would need something low slung,, friend had an KTM 850 for sale, but was way too big and heavy for me....even if I managed to get it moving, I would have needed a high foot path for the landing..:)

If you have an AM licence you can only ride a bike that has a maximum speed of 45km/h. To get anything faster you will need an A, A1 or A2 licence depending on your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The most expensive part of any secondhand bike purchase is the cost of replacing consumable service items after you buy it. A set of tyres, a chain and sprocket kit, a set of front brake pads, an engine service (oil, filters, plugs) or a new battery could run to many hundreds of euro depending on what the bike needs.

It takes a decent amount of experience to assess the condition of all of the service items on a bike and often the first service brings a huge unexpected bill so make sure you know what you are buying. Sellers will rarely admit that a chain is on its last legs and won't budge on the sale price of the bike - just factor this into your calculations!

Thanks! I just checked the cost of insurance and it is 1500e! I almost fainted! A friend has the same bike insured in Europe for 160e! Truth be told he has 6 years riding experience, but still, 1500 seems a complete robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

What bike?

Harley Sportster 800

I wonder if I should target for a Grom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My brother has a sportster.
    Probably worst bike I've ever rode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You won’t find the msx125 easy to insure, they are apparently very popular with the youth of the UK and have higher premiums due to theft because of that. I have one insured under a multi bike policy but it’s restricted to third party only
    I think you should start with something like standard 125 CB/CG/YB etc and build a NCB then move to a different bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Suzuki Vanvan125 or Yamaha TW125? Weird looks and go anywhere attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Most people don’t go straight to their dream bike for this reason, you’re looking to insure a 800cc, 5k+ bike with no NCB. To get a more reasonable quote you’ll have to look at something cheaper and with a smaller motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    My brother has a sportster.
    Probably worst bike I've ever rode.

Did you ever (try) ride a Panigale.....yuk...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did you ever (try) ride a Panigale.....yuk...

Yeah, you must be doing it wrong Max :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

That's an odd jump; have you tried any of these bikes, even just sat on them?

Start with training, hiring bikes, asking friends, test rides - see what you actually like. Get the cheapest thing you can, as a stepping stone to what you really want.

Advertisement